Game of Thrones - HBO TV series based on 'A Song of Ice and Fire'

Users who are viewing this thread

Grank said:
Captured Joe said:
Edmure deserves better, yes.
Even in the show, he fought Robb's war, beat the Mountain's Men, and fulfilled Robb's promise to Walder Frey after Robb screwed up. Show some bloody respect, Sansa. She has done nothing but "managed" Winterfell off-screen, but acts all high and mighty.
Well, he did spend the last few years rotting in Walder Frey's dungeons, so it's not like he'd been accomplishing much while everybody else had been fighting in the multiple conflicts since the Red Wedding. And the one time he did come out, he aided the Lannisters and Freys against his own house, so it wouldn't surprise me if many people saw him as a traitor. Point is, I can see why the other people at that gathering wouldn't have a great deal of respect for him, so for him to take center stage and make an important-sounding speech might've been pushing his luck a bit.

He's still by far one of the characters with the best track record there, especially considering half were literal no-names invented for the scene and the other half had been operating with logic-repelling plot armor for years.

TheFlyingFishy said:
He's still by far one of the characters with the best track record there, especially considering... half had been operating with logic-repelling plot armor for years.
What. Logic-repelling plot armor =/= a bad track record. The point is, a lot of the other folks there had been through a lot and accomplished a lot over the past few years, while Edmure had seen and done **** all for the most part except stare at his cell walls. It makes sense that the others would look down on him for that, and feel that he wasn't exactly the most qualified person at the meeting, and that he shouldn't have been taking a leading role.

By the way, I wonder what ever happened to Roslin Frey, Edmure's bride at the Red Wedding? Jaime said that she got pregnant, so I doubt Walder could've married her off to somebody else (the baby bump being a bit of a giveaway that she was already spoken for, I mean), and if word had got out about a Tully heir, that might've caused unrest among those still loyal to the Tullys. What did he do, then, hide her away until she gave birth, then toss her baby into the river?

He did most of his cool **** before the other characters were even born or out of puberty. And it's not like that's book-only, as they mention stuff he's done in the show too. He's a middle aged heir to an entire kingdom. He has a ton of experience, especially since his dad was laid up in a coma for a good while and he was already de facto head of the Riverlands by the show's start. Just because it didn't happen on screen doesn't mean he has no backstory, but the show is **** and forgot all that and only remembered that he's maybe not too good at shooting an arrow at a tiny moving boat containing his recently dead father. Even foregoing all of this, only a handful of people at that meeting even knew that Bran was supposed to be a tree wizard and those that did were either skeptical of his claims or unsure of what the extent of his abilities are. Tyrion literally just pitched a crippled kid and said "he has tree powers" to a council that was half-composed of strangers who have no reason to belief that claim, even less when you remember that Bran showed zero will to ever use his powers for anything useful.

TheFlyingFishy said:
Just because it didn't happen on screen doesn't mean he has no backstory, but the show is **** and forgot all that and only remembered that he's maybe not too good at shooting an arrow at a tiny moving boat containing his recently dead father. Even foregoing all of this, only a handful of people at that meeting even knew that Bran was supposed to be a tree wizard and those that did were either skeptical of his claims or unsure of what the extent of his abilities are. Tyrion literally just pitched a crippled kid and said "he has tree powers" to a council that was half-composed of strangers who have no reason to belief that claim, even less when you remember that Bran showed zero will to ever use his powers for anything useful.
Good points, especially about the tree wizard stuff. I wonder if by that point they just wanted the show to be over with, so when Tyrion said that Bran became the Three-Eyed Raven, the writers skipped over the part where everybody else should've said "The **** is a Three-Eyed Raven, and why does that mean he should be king?" As an aside, when that scene was happening, I was waiting for Tyrion to say that Sansa should be Queen. I'm guessing Sansa was too, because when Tyrion named Bran and everybody said "Aye" and they got round to her, I thought she looked heartbroken. For some reason I found that a bit amusing. Did anyone else notice that?

She had decided to declare/maintain independence long before that. She told Daenerys to **** off and was angry at Jon for bending to her. She just didn't expect the person she would have to tell to **** off now would be her own brother, hence the face.

Even if Edmure sucks by whatever standard, and even if he doesn't have the rights to sit on the Iron Throne, you don't just humiliate the veteran Lord Paramount of the Riverlands in front of other Lord Paramounts of Westeros like that. It's a meeting to discuss the next ruler. Let the man talk. If you don't agree with whatever he was going to say, just disagree after he's done. That's basic manner. Hell, we don't even know what Edmure was actually going to say. What if he wanted to support someone else, and that "I'm experienced" talk was just an intro to give weight to his opinions? That was what I thought he was going for in that moment. We don't know, because Sansa cut him off.

And again, this was supposed to be a discussion. Telling other people to shut up means you don't care about what others have to say. In that case, why even have a discussion?

Who the hell is Sansa compared to Edmure anyway? She "won" Winterfell by asking the Vale army, who are foreigners, to occupy it for her. She didn't even command that army. She never fought a battle. She spent the entire story being a political captive in King's Landing, was a suspect for regicide, hid in the Vale like a coward, got herself involved again in the murder of Lysa Arryn, the whole brouhaha with Ramsay Bolton, ran away again, and then came back. Then suddenly they're pushing her as this competent leader who has done... what exactly? She only managed Winterfell for a while, and off-screen. It's not that darn amazing to manage a castle. Freaking crippled child Bran did it. She showed no tact for politics as she kept undermining Jon's authority by questioning him in front of his bannermen. She tried to shoo away a very important ally Jon barely managed to get by telling them to piss off because they're short on food, again, in front of everyone.

And what was Sam even doing there?

Presentation of other kingdoms other than Starks is hollow in that scene. I can not get over the fact that Sansa declares independence and others just okay with it. Yeah, North defeated Night King but to others who the hell is Night King anyway? Even if they knew the threat was real, who gives a foock? This is politics and one thing Got showed very depth of it in earlier seasons.

D&D spit on the fans and gone to Star Wars. Madness, madness and stupidity.

I'm actually wondering who the other unknown "High Lords" are in that scene at the pit? Apparently they are part of a group who are the most important lords of the realm. Yet we've never seen them in the past, no introduction or anything. Seems a bit unnecessary to include them in such a meeting.

Also a pity that Howland Reed never came.. Had hoped that he made an appearance at some point in the show after his introduction at the Tower of Joy.

kurczak said:
BaRup.png

:lol:

I just want to add I have never seen a show with so much popularity and hype completely turn the whole thing around and be so hated and despised after that final season. It completely killed the rewatch value for me.

Back
Top Bottom