SP Medieval Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A World of Ice and Fire (v8.1 released 7/3/22)

Users who are viewing this thread

The feedback post.

As some may know, I am kind of ACoK fanboy, yet decided to try AWoIaF again ( previous play was at beta 8 ).

The Praise.

And it is good. Somehow the fight do not seem as... clunky... as they seemed previously (and as they are in VC). And the world is alive. And there are quests to do.

The Complaints.

1. Ser Janis does not have any use or dialogue after his ancestral castle is reclaimed.
2. Wife can not be made MiMister.
3. Some enterprises are never profitable, and some always are.
4. There are three instances of Jon Snow (Jeor's companion, who can be imprisoned infinitely, Player's companion and Lord Commander), and they can coexist.
5. Somehow lords can coexist as player's prisoners AND as their usual party-leading selves.
7. Lord's companions are imprisoned infinitely. (Probably no way around that?)
8. Besieged parties replenish during sieges (Or do they? Or are sieges just bonkers?). I suppose this is VC mechanics. But it is what made me stop for now at day 350.

Anyway, would recommend!

Sergio_Morozov said:
The feedback post.

As some may know, I am kind of ACoK fanboy, yet decided to try AWoIaF again ( previous play was at beta 8 ).

The Praise.

And it is good. Somehow the fight do not seem as... clunky... as they seemed previously (and as they are in VC). And the world is alive. And there are quests to do.

The Complaints.

1. Ser Janis does not have any use or dialogue after his ancestral castle is reclaimed.
4. There are three instances of Jon Snow (Jeor's companion, who can be imprisoned infinitely, Player's companion and Lord Commander), and they can coexist.
5. Somehow lords can coexist as player's prisoners AND as their usual party-leading selves.
8. Besieged parties replenish during sieges (Or do they? Or are sieges just bonkers?). I suppose this is VC mechanics. But it is what made me stop for now at day 350.

Anyway, would recommend!

Hey Sergio

Thanks for the feedback. The mod has come a long way since Beta 8! Just working on a few more bug fixes and improvements for V4.x then I will be starting on V5.x which should again see some nice big changes. :smile:

produno said:
Sergio_Morozov said:
The feedback post.

The Praise.

The Complaints.

Anyway, would recommend!

Hey Sergio

Thanks for the feedback. The mod has come a long way since Beta 8! Just working on a few more bug fixes and improvements for V4.x then I will be starting on V5.x which should again see some nice big changes. :smile:

An idea for 5.x would be to add an option to delay the timed events. It'd be very useful in many ways. I wouldn't allow delay for the White Walker invasion though, considering that it's meant to be a challenge. As for other petty events, like Red Wedding, wars, etc. It would be useful for players that want to serve in other Lord's armies with Freelancer. Without this option going freelancer is almost locked out because otherwise you'll miss out on major events and quests. I'd say that the worst flaw in the Mod's design is this, we're basically forced to rush, there's not enough time for wandering around, we have to: Trade/Tournament, amass minimal troops, go to Volantis, beat slavers for their Blunt weapon, continue trade/tournament runs while doing the main quests, make peace with Westernlands one way or another if we want Danny/Aegon to surface, and reserve 90k stags minimum for the Main quest or play horse archer.

The other option is to have them times in static wars but allow the player to initiate them themselves if choosing sandbox.

I’m not entirely sure thats feasible though.

produno said:
I spent quite a bit of time yesterday making sure it all works correctly and indeed it does, at least i tried it over and over several different ways for a good amount of time.

When people say they won, i think they won the battle but Robb is still killed, which is correct.

I have however added extra text to make it explicit as to why that happens and i have moved Robbs position to make it very slightly easier to save him.

I also fixed other bugs like his party not being removed and issues when freelancing in his army.

So are you actually able to save Robb Stark from being killed? Or is it still the same situation: you save him in the interior scene but he dies anyway?

Apstinentas said:
produno said:
I spent quite a bit of time yesterday making sure it all works correctly and indeed it does, at least i tried it over and over several different ways for a good amount of time.

When people say they won, i think they won the battle but Robb is still killed, which is correct.

I have however added extra text to make it explicit as to why that happens and i have moved Robbs position to make it very slightly easier to save him.

I also fixed other bugs like his party not being removed and issues when freelancing in his army.

So are you actually able to save Robb Stark from being killed? Or is it still the same situation: you save him in the interior scene but he dies anyway?

In previous versions it was also possible. Thing is that it takes away from both books and show, I'd not save him for a more end-game play, I'd save him if I were to be his lackey though...
Oh, almost forgot, answering your question: YES!
Now it's even easier because prod simply moved Robb closer to the player. But you've gotta be fast. If he gets wounded/knocked uncountious = he's dead. A reminder: be prepared too, although you do not lose your men that die in this quest, it's quite easy to lose on the grounds due to the sheer force that both Boltons and Riverlanders have... I mean, if you are not careful, you'll lose your skirmish party there, and you'll fail the quest. They are challenging... No wonder why I've complained time and time again about how nearly impossible it is to retake Winterfell from the Boltons. I mean, they are kicking the 2 strongest infantry troops in the game (boltons+starks) and you have zero chance of recruiting Starks without owning Winterfell... To win sieges against that combination you must have either an overwhelming army with high tier infantry to withstand the kick, or, you must recruit infantry units of the same caliber as the enemy.

If you want to talk about strategies for taking Winterfell from the Boltons, I have many tips and tricks that actually make it possible, but my issue with it is that RPing becomes next to impossible due to how gamey we must be in many situations when playing this mod (due to sheer difficulty, it mostly narrows your options to 1 way too often, if you play any differently, you get screwed in late-game)

I'm also at issues with lack of bows to go horse archer, but then again, nobody really likes how OP horse archery is in almost every single mod for WB, so it's arguable (specially given how unforgiving it is to play melee in this mod, it's simply a bad idea). That being said, the worse thing is finding the best equipment for you and your companions, since most of the best are not listed as merchandise and that will force you to grind like a nutjob in the hopes of getting items you need (like the best bow in the game, the best blunt weapon in the game, etc) Another thing that I often find issues with is the main quest when we have to face the skirmish white-walker party... In that quest point specifically, you either need to kick an overwhelming party of Nightswatch rangers + have a valyrian blade to take out the leader, or, you gather as many companions as possible and practically solo the entire enemy force (even if you arm them appropriately, the AI doesn't handle the wights all too well). In both cases you must have either a fief to garrison your war party, or you are forced to build and upgrade a hideout to hold them, if not, you'll lose almost the entirety of your war party, which's a massive drawback.  :facepalm:
The main quest specifically, sort of pushes you to rush the game as fast as you can, and by doing that it takes away from the fun of RPing, what I do most often is to arena fight, tournament when I'm confident, wait around a month doing that, then move on to trade-rush furs like a train non-stop (because if you do, you'll not amass enough gold to build a descent party). Then I go for the Valyrian castle quest, start depositing top tier units there and focus on trying to recruit nightswatch for the main-quest. All of this while progressing the main-quest with short interruptions to avoid reaching the white-walker part without owning at least one valyrian weapon and a nightswatch ranger party that surpasses the white-walker's number. That's very cumbersome to do, because it'll take away from other things that happen simultaneously. In some playthroughs I've even missed the Red Wedding altogether because I wasn't lucky enough with avoiding enemies. So there's another detail, if you fail to be patient with the grinding, you might end up getting caught by bandit parties that are OP as hell (mid-tier troops can't handle them unless they are ranged units) and that's not mentioning Robber Knights, which are a great source of money through prisoners, but a straight out bad idea before you are kicking a lot of elite troops in the party.

Also, another thing that bugs me is that if you want to keep a decent cash-flow, you cannot use any melee units that are not stormlanders. That's another thing that I find displeasing. (due to making prisoners)

You don't have to fight the whitewalker party from the main questline, you are only asked to scout.

I am assuming you are saying you are forced to rush the main questline because of the red wedding?

thanks for an update Produno, much appreciated! the last version i tried was 3.5 so perhaps its about time to give new game a go!
Breezy Tee said:
An idea for 5.x would be to add an option to delay the timed events. It'd be very useful in many ways. I wouldn't allow delay for the White Walker invasion though, considering that it's meant to be a challenge. As for other petty events, like Red Wedding, wars, etc. It would be useful for players that want to serve in other Lord's armies with Freelancer. Without this option going freelancer is almost locked out because otherwise you'll miss out on major events and quests. I'd say that the worst flaw in the Mod's design is this, we're basically forced to rush, there's not enough time for wandering around, we have to: Trade/Tournament, amass minimal troops, go to Volantis, beat slavers for their Blunt weapon, continue trade/tournament runs while doing the main quests, make peace with Westernlands one way or another if we want Danny/Aegon to surface, and reserve 90k stags minimum for the Main quest or play horse archer.
i agree. it does feel like you have to rush somewhat. real shame because for those of us that enjoy taking their time and exploring and engaging with the beautiful world Produno created here, this "make sure you get things done quickish or else" approach feels forced. another reason i think the tightish schedule isnt too good is because upgrading and growing your party takes time. the game is very punishing iirc, the world is big and you cant breeze through it like you would in native. of course you can exploit the game and speed up progress once you know how things work, but that doesnt feel organic imho. so unless you focus on that, normally progression and getting yourself firmly established (income + a decent party) takes longer and when world moves too fast you miss out and cannot partake in important events. maybe link this events to player's progression, if possible? say event X happens when player reached level X? im also thinking of static wars mode here, because sandbox makes no sense at all imho, i.e. kingdoms engaging in wars across the narrow sea etc. :shock:

but anyway, very much looking forward to 5x and the new starting quest/s. hope some scenes (i.e. kings landing tavern) get updated too. thanks again and the best of luck :smile:

Personally, I don’t feel it’s rushed at all. I like the current pace as it is perfectly. I’d much rather see some of the grammatical anomies sorted first. Maybe a few more cut scenes. Lots of other things to do before we slow the beginning game pace down. Imho anyhow

I don't feel rushed. I tend to either pick a side early and instead of focusing on objectives focus on helping my fellow lords win fights and then help hold gains so we don't lose them in the next 'trade cycle' of attack/defend or I go to Essos and kill Exiled Knights with mercs hired from bars to make money and get on the 'hire people from bars and see if people will join you from Volantis and Pentos' train back and forth (killing pirates, slavers, Dothraki and Exiled Knights inbetween) to build a solid merc army (Pentos archers, Volantis cavalry, whatever infantry you can get).

You can also do that 'help that due find his castle so you become lord of your own faction super early' thing, get a solid group of mercs and take Tyrosh or Dothraki areas to get a city. Get the Right to Rule train going asap with your recruits.

Then roll back into Westros like a Targaryan

Or you can join the Black Watch and train up that way and not worry about the wars and instead try to get them ready for the White Walkers.

If you're going to join a Lords army I strongly recommend taking the letter to Stannis "The Mannis" Baratheon and joining his army. That's a man who likes to murder a ton of people and you'll see a lot of combat. I do this for about 30 days when I do a charisma/intelligence character (great for going the King route but oh that early game hurts) because you'll see plenty of combat but you can trot along behind knights and strong infantry and just whack people in the back. Do that, then the 'help dude find castle' approach from above for a strong (but not rushed) early 'Look Ma I'm King' game.

I've got a dozen mods, all the big famous popular ones but I come back to AWOIF because it's really challenging without feeling heavy-handed or arbitrary and it's a good balance of 'who's got the best army' and 'player is a hero who can sway battles'. Almost every other mod swings one way or the other. Having some pending dire events gives almost a sense of mortality - you don't just have forever. Not everything should wait for you to be 100% ready. I would enjoy the game less if it was 'slowed down'.

Patch now up

https://www.moddb.com/mods/a-world-of-ice-and-fire/downloads/a-world-of-ice-and-fire-434

Known issues are noted below. This update is save game compatible with V4.3.

Changes

Brightened up some terrain borders.
Adjusted Dragonstone to stop Ai getting stuck near it.
If the player owns Dragonstone when Dany invades, then she will declare war on the player and siege the castle.
The same as above but for Aegon.
Rotated Florett model by 90 degrees.
Changed Spy clothing as the current ones were broken.
Adjusted some merc troop tree upgrades.
Small changes to looting to try and fix the looting bug.
Various other small changes.
Some small map changes/fixes.
Adjusted the spawn point for Duskendale siege.
Cattle prices have been redacted but they will no longer give hides when slaughtered.
To enable you to be King/Queen of Westeros your faction also has to hold King's Landing. It's not enough just for you to be the lord/owner.
Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg should no longer participate in tournaments.
No more faction leaders in tournaments. It makes little sense for people like Dany, Balon or Doran etc to take part in tournaments.
Your healing companions can now only heal you if they are not injured themselves.
Slightly adjusted some map textures.

Fixed

Fixed sometimes not being able to enter the prison door at Highgarden.
Fixed issues when exiting Thorrens Square prison.
Fixed enterprise scenes.
Fixed various issues at Flints Finger.
Fixed Timber Bay scene.
Fixes to Targ faction leaders.
Fixed issues at Ashford.
Added Dawn scabbard fix by @dovahbear.
Fixed showing Dog or Direwolf as an enemy on the after battle kill count screen.
Fixed asking for VC serial key.
Fixed issues with 'A Lannister always pays his debts' quest.
Fixed Deepwood Motte prison scene.
Fixed issues at Red Fork.
Fixed bandit lairs not being removed.
Fixed map issues when sometimes attacking caravans.
Fixed a few issues with skyboxes.

Known issues:

Targaryen lord bug
Unless the Targaryen spawn before around day 150 they may patrol the sea forever. This update 'should' fix it but a new game may need to be started.
Please provide feedback if it is working ok for you on a new game.

Looting issues
If you have trouble looting then make sure your companions are not placed at the bottom of your party.
I am still trying to find as fix for this.

Vikingur said:
After watching the season finale, I want to be the Night King and kill all of them.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: you're so right !
Actors were right episode 6 is the worst episode

I'll try to play last Version of AWOIF, and maybe i'll make some scenes on it.

I have few graphical glitches i don't know if tis due to the mod cause i had many broken archives on modDB.

The new King's Landing is great, i like it much, just need few refinements to be perfect.

The armors stats definetely need a rework as many people said it before. Nobody did this  as a submod ? many people are tweaking mods with morgh's warband editor.

Also why some trees are moving like that ???

Back
Top Bottom