SP Medieval Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A World of Ice and Fire (v8.1 released 7/3/22)

Users who are viewing this thread

So I started in Essos with the new version, and I have to say the travel times are a bit too long. There are many rivers and lakes but there is a serious lack of bridges to cross. Perhaps the continent is designed for using ships, but without a ship it's quite annoying, and it take some time until you can afford a ship.

Essos could use some love in general, IMO. Feels rather empty and drab right now. Clash of Kings' version of Essos was admittedly rather shallow and superficial (cloned army rosters and general lack of meaningful content), but it was at least interesting to *look* at. There were ruins, slave traders, and Dothraki camps everywhere. You could also see things like naked slaves and Unsullied hanging out in Lord's halls. AWoIaF lacks pretty much all of that.

The armies in Essos could also use a bit of spicing up/balancing, IMO.

Volantis, for example, has half of its armies made up of "Tiger Cloaks." While they're awesome on the battlefield, one shotting the Hell out of everything with longbows, their appearance is a bit "meh." Theyyseem to basically have vanilla Saranid equipment, with flat grey cloaks on the back. Why not add a tiger stripe pattern to the cloak textures? Not sure if it'd be strictly book accurate, but it'd be interesting and memorable.

Volantean heavy cav have some similar issues. They seem to use Saranid gear, which is w/e. They also carry long maces, which sounds like it would be awesome. BUT... The Maces can only be used to thrust while on horseback or using a shield, and do pitiful damage while thrusting. Sooo... Yeah, that unit type is pretty much worthless, especially when going up against any sort of heavy cavalry which carries real lances. They can't kill anything, and die incredibly quickly.

I also think it'd be pretty freaking cool if the devs could work war elephants into at least a couple of the Essos factions army rosters. Volantis should definitely have them. According to the lore, Volantean Triarchs literally spend their whole term in office riding on elephants.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I haven't been here in a really long time! I'm trying the mod after a year maybe? and I'm thrilled with all the new and renewed features.. but i'm having a lot of issues with this mod specifically.

1st of all, I'm getting a lot of white weird things on the groud on battle and in towns/castles, What is this? is it a bug? or a feature i'm not aware of?

https://www.imageupload.net/image/SprS2

Also, every time i'm on the campaing map, everything freezes for a second when I try to do an action, move around, enter a town, engage in battle, is really slow.

Another thing is that whenever I go to the battle map,I can see the models of the cities and characters without texture, everything freezes and then the textures load.

I have been playing and using mods on warband for years, I have the latest version of the game and the mod, this is the only mod where I'm having this issues. What are they related to and how can I fix this?

Also I have an Intel core I7, 8gb corsair ram, and a radeon rx 480 - 8gb.

Offhand, I'd say a corrupted download. Sounds like you tried that already, though. One "gottcha" I seem to fall prey to is assuming a completed download is not corrupted. The only reason I suggest this is that my hardware is way inferior to yours and I'm not having any issues besides some rare random lockups when I pan in large battles & the (usual) "hang-time" on the main map.

Hey guys! I haven't been here in a really long time! I'm trying the mod after a year maybe? and I'm thrilled with all the new and renewed features.. but i'm having a lot of issues with this mod specifically.

1st of all, I'm getting a lot of white weird things on the groud on battle and in towns/castles, What is this? is it a bug? or a feature i'm not aware of?

Also, every time i'm on the campaing map, everything freezes for a second when I try to do an action, move around, enter a town, engage in battle, is really slow.

Another thing is that whenever I go to the battle map,I can see the models of the cities and characters without texture, everything freezes and then the textures load.

I have been playing and using mods on warband for years, I have the latest version of the game and the mod, this is the only mod where I'm having this issues. What are they related to and how can I fix this?

I have the exact problem with this mod downloaded from moddb, version 5.3 as well, and also lags everytime entering world map and sometimes click on world map icons such as characters/inventory causes game to freeze for 2-3 seconds. This much lagging renders the game unplayable for me. Is this also a corrupted download or a mod problem?

Beside that, I really love the huge map this mod has!

Man, I just solved the ''white weird things'' problem just adjusting the ''Realistic Shadows on Plants'' to FULL, in Video Settings.

But unfortunately, I'm having the exactly same problem of lagging, every time that I change to a scene, or enter in the inventory, character stats, and when I go back to map it freezes for about 3 seconds.. I've played the last version and didn't have any of this problems. Downloaded from moddb, too.

Man, I just solved the ''white weird things'' problem just adjusting the ''Realistic Shadows on Plants'' to FULL, in Video Settings.

But unfortunately, I'm having the exactly same problem of lagging, every time that I change to a scene, or enter in the inventory, character stats, and when I go back to map it freezes for about 3 seconds.. I've played the last version and didn't have any of this problems. Downloaded from moddb, too.

Please try to decrease the "Texture details" setting down to 85%. This was helped me to solve the issue.

In battles, in city scenes etc... for me the latest version seems to run smoothly, that surprised me a bit with all the reports of lags.
But the world map is a completely different matter, it freeze a couple of second every few moves etc, making it a pain to try to play considering most of the play time is spent on moving your troops in the world map, and no settings seem to change a thing related to this problem.

If you turn off the white walker invasion to gain some time to prepare and turn it on again after the day 700 (or whenever they invade), will they invade instantly? I'd like to create a faction and get strong a little before I go and fight them.

Hello!
In the scene editor there is an object z_entry_military_standing. He is responsible for the appearance of static NPCs. As far as I understand, the type of NPC depends on the faction. How to create a similar object, but already with a predefined unit, such as with Golden Cloaks (z_entry_goldcloak_standing)? I captured Dredforth and set these objects in it, but units of the North appear on them. I want to make Bolton units appear on these objects.

I apologize for the mistakes in my English. I use Google translate.

Since I see many people have trouble with grass is it possible to replace it with vanilla like non animated grass?. Grass, trees and ground textures are biggest eyesore both in Viking Conquest and in all mods based on it, including AWOIAF. I never had problem with simpler vanilla Warband textures in the way I have them with VC. Trees rotating around with their branches and trunks swaying in "wind" look ridiculous and always take me out of the moment, especially pines. Ground has this unnatural bright green color. Grass wouldn't be so bad if it didn't pop around in square sections. instead of like it is in vanilla WB. Lighting is also somewhat drab though by far easiest thing to modify (just copy pasted postfx file from other mods). As far as I understand these problems are all related to the mod being based on VC.

I actually prefer simpler yet more beautiful textures, lighting and shaders of warband mods that were done circa 2012/13. I'm just replaying old Clash of Kings version 1.1 with hotifix and it is incredible how good that mod looks compared to both current ACOK and AWOIAF. Also lighting and scenes (both cities and villages, westeros and essos) in that mod are way superior to whatever Cozur made since then (why he scrapped them in 1.11 I will never understand) and as far as Essos goes even to AWOIAF. Anyone interested in ACOK should check out that version of the mod even though it is unfinished and compare it to the later ones. (It's like 2 different persons made them).

For 3 days I've been breaking my head over how to import flora and vegetation from either ACOK 1.1 or at least Blood eagle into AWOIAF. I managed to get trees working with ocassional white trunk here and there, however it is neigh impossible for grass. I guess it's probably something to do with shaders. This is my first experience with tweaking warband or other person's mod and I'm not intending to publish it or anything but some input from generally always cooperative Produno would be nice. For starters is what I'm attempting even possible? :wink:

Last edited:
Nice design on Black Bargeman Inn (Braavos), I like the maps on the wall, I guess they are preparing for the invasion of Westeros, maybe launched via an alliance with Dorne as I doubt Doran was so dumb as to not pay his loans back. Can't think of why else they would have a big map of Dorne on the wall. Really nice atmosphere in there though, well done.

Braavos overall is fantastic, that's one city I don't mind running around.

Braavos overall is fantastic, that's one city I don't mind running around.

I'm flattered. You might be want to also check Dragonstone. Right now King's Landing getting new design. :smile: On AWIOAF Discord I often post images of new scenes.
1I1geK8.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I have played deep into a game in 6.2 and lurve it, but a few things.

1) Spies are useless other than as relationship counselors. I did a few tests as I generally just siege over time rather than storm a castle, since I think the initial assault stage (text) doesn't take surgery into account. So, 20 spies v. Tyrosh, can you get in? Can you nerf the food? Can you make them puke on the well water? Let's see...I had 3 spies left at the end, one burned the food but died trying to poison the well, and the 3rd last spy managed to get in and poison the well.

That's a little harsh. Maybe you can make a charisma based espionage skill that boosts their success chance by a certain amount, because they seem to be around 1/5 for each task of getting, in and then another 1/5 for actually doing anything, and then like a 1/10 chance for being discovered even if they are not doing anything. So...10 in the skill gets you to like 1/3 or 1/2 for each step? What do you think? Because now I just use them for getting relationship boosts.

2) Most of the castle chests when you take a city are empty, even KL, I guess I could do this myself, but maybe a Kingsguard armor or something in there, maybe an arming sword with slightly better stats in some castles, or scimitars down in Dorne or something, even if it's vendor food, it's nice to see something in there.

3) Camp defense, maybe have the enemy spawn in all their troops, in, I don't know, the same rate as your reinforcements spawn in, as it stands it's a farm renown situation.

One note to get the Kingsguard companions and Jon snow, I think you have to be in a state of aggression or war with the Lannisters or the NW to get them, and I think Jon has to be a Lord, so after Mormont, correct me if I am wrong there, I was not in a state of aggro with the NW when I tried several dozen times to kill Harma Dogshead who had him captive while Mormont was still alive. If you are not in a state of aggro you just say bye! And in Jon's case, I didn't get any chance to grab him. So, try being aggresive but not at war with the NW.

For strategy, well, you have several priorities, because you have a chance to strike at KL between turns 50 and 96 like you will never get again. You need a good 270 or so, and will likely need to beat a lord or two. Have a fun inventory of food, donkeys that increase your inventory capacity are a bonus, send out foragers, and settle in. If you have any companions that get pissy about running out of food, send them on a find support mission or something. Critically you should have 30ish right to rule by the time the siege ends. That's about 2-3 weeks on KL, so you can send a few companions out for support and get the required right to rule by the time it's over.

The reason for that troop number is so you can fortify your camp and build defenses. Fortified camp defense is hard against the Reach and the Westerlands because of their huge number of Cav, so you have to be quick.

Tell everyone to stand because they start by being on charge for some reason, so your side projects (your Bravosi and camp followers), will be charging into combat and getting ganked.

I am not sure how many different siege camps there are but if you are fortified, you will have stakes in the ground all around you, you can clip through them but the AI can't without getting stuck there for a long time. So, have your infantry, spearmen and dismounted cav move towards the break in the stakes where the enemy will pour through, stand closer x3. Archers stand closer once and up on the hill overlooking the approach and the hopefully wall of enemies coming in there.

My only problem with the camp defense is that in big battles, it's not continual, 50-75 or so men at a time, then you have to do it all over again, you farm crazy amounts of prestige, like 500 or so from a really big one, and with the memory leaks in this game, just go ahead and save and exit after that battle, because you just ran like 20 versions of that battle.

For fighting the desperate out of food defenders, again, be quick, your troops are charging, stand your ground, send the infantry out, stand closer, there's no cav in this fight, and cav and spearmen out to shield the archers, who you can try to put in a good place. I've lost 10 or so men here, but I mostly play as Qyburn or Sylva to this point for a great level of surgery. I give them a crossbow or short bow, take your pick and go to town on the enemies, I've had them around level 15, especially if I get a good camp defense, short bow on Sylva and 3 large stacks of barbed arrows, plink, plink, plink. So, I have a high survival rate.

After you have KL, you may or may not be at war with the Westerlands...strange I know, but I was not the several times I have now done this, I have been working on optimizing my strategy, everything is based on this, heck, I've turned Pod into a surgeon because I did not find Qyburn or Sylva yet before. Stormlanders are the best, but it's very dangerous to go down there before you have say, 50 or so tier 3 infantry (peasant, levy, militia), because Robber Knights are suicidal buggers and will attack you even when you have 100 tier 3 infantry. Annoyingly they will actually kill a few, but then you have 20-30 Robber Knights to sell to the NW, so it balances out.

Stormlanders get a nice shield, decent armor at tier 3, and that's important because unless you can afford Syrio you are likely to be sporting a mix of Levies and Militia. Stormlander levies get a shield at least, and they have a low hanging Archer, and so does the Reach, the Reach...nope, their levies don't get shields, they are trash at this stage, after you get KL and can breathe a bit, go to town on them, good troops, but I still prefer Stormlanders.

Why is Turn 50ish so magical? The Riverlands join the war against the Westerlands, and most importantly around KL you will have Dragonstone, the Stormlands and Riverlands all patrolling with armies keeping the Lannisters off your back.

At turn 96 the Reach joints and the Riverlands can't handle that, the AI sucketh against huge Cav armies. As for you fighting the Westerlands, look for bridges, and watch them burn.

And lastly, I love this Mod, great work Produno.

Last edited:
Blacktyde Castle seems to be missing the prison door, or it's there, you just can't enter it.

Oh and please, do something about jails with the bars on the cells, it takes me normally one or two minutes for find a spot to talk to lords in them, morally I just strafe slowly while hitting F repeatedly hoping to spark the conversation.

Last edited:
V7.x has been released to Steam and ModDB. Unfortunately i am having issues uploading the latest patch to ModDB, so for now Steam has version 7.12 and ModDB has version 7.1

Also you can watch my live dev video here :grin:

Back
Top Bottom