SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

anduril38 said:
That's my main issue with the balance; the North is still way too weak, although that suits it historically in that it was the weaker of the warring factions.

Yes, it's definitely suitable, as is Dragonstone's weakness. As others have pointed out it pretty much illustrates the sheer folly of the North trying to invade in the first place or trying to play politics, along with Dragonstone's declaration of war on the Stormlands, but in practice this means you could potentially have the War of the Five Kings over before the player is strong enough to really do anything to impact the outcome.

A couple of thoughts on helping the balance might be unlocking the diplomacy so you can have alternate events; scenarios like ones where the Iron Islands or the Vale enter the war against the Westerlands, or Dorne joining the southern free-for-all would dramatically shift things. Alternately this could be handled through questlines to change up faction strengths - a questline that gave Dragonstone Storm's End and several Stormlands areas free (something related to the assassination of Renly or the castellan at Storm's End, for example), or one that brings Dorne or the Vale into the war. Slightly shifting the scale and distribution of castles on the map might help as well, but I don't think this is a likely given the mod's commitment to fidelity.

If these suggestions are too dramatic, a more subtle change might be increasing the size of Northern starting stacks (or maybe the size they respawn at) to give them a bigger initial advantage in the war. You could rationalize this as a higher degree of mobilization or readiness or what have you - recall in the books it took the Lannisters some time to muster a field army in Lannisport to relieve King's Landing (and they in turn got smashed on the road).

LQuinze said:
I've also been lurking in the thread discussion and the impression I get is that the game's diplomacy is fixed, as opposed to relying on the faction AI making decisions about war and peace - is this correct?

This is correct, mostly. I've had a couple games (that I didn't touch factions.txt) where Pentos declares war on someone all of a sudden, always after a thousand days or so. In 2.0 this paradigm for factions is expected to persist (outside of events, of course), except that Myr/Lys/Tyrosh will make wars and peace with each other. The other Free Cities should stay neutral.

LQuinze said:
or one that brings Dorne or the Vale into the war.

There has been a quest in the mod to bring Dorne into the war since at least 1.31, probably the whole life of the mod though. Go to the Manse of Illyrio and don't stop questing until Dorne enters the war. (book spoilers in the questline)

Dissmaster said:
What i would like, would be the option to have Knights as troops in your party(no Companions, special troops that can die).
I got one in an event.

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but you can get those troops in your party it just takes luck and a good bit of time. You need to either take the unique prisoner and then persuade them to join your party, or you can rescue a prisoner-Knight from an enemy Lord and have them join up with you. Not so long ago in my playthrough I managed to rescue Ragnor Pyke, one of Victarion's companions. He lived through several field battles and sieges before he died. I still miss him.

Cozur said:
Been wanting to re-do the banners for a while, here's a preview.

It's still a work in progress, the template needs more detail:

dUBY2iB.jpg

Nice work!
If someone makes a reversed Targaryen banner - black dragon on red field, that would be amazing :smile:
I've always liked Blackfyre pretenders.

Hello, I just wanted to ask if this mod is by any chance compatible with the Warband 1.163 ? I would very much like to play this mod but I don't want to downgrade my mod :sad:

Thanks for answers everyone

Funeh said:
Hello, I just wanted to ask if this mod is by any chance compatible with the Warband 1.163 ? I would very much like to play this mod but I don't want to downgrade my mod :sad:

Thanks for answers everyone

I am quite certain, yes. ACOK module is officially tested for 1.161, but the more recent versions of M&B:W are small changes (performance, Steam compatibilities) that do not break modules that were compatible before.

Hello,

Is there an option to turn off the falling down while backing up thing that I've missed? Seriously that's kind of game breaking for me when I fall down every time I move backwards. Other than that I love the mod, just never been able to figure out while people think it's realistic to stumble so much in other mods and games as well.

Ni said:
Hello,

Is there an option to turn off the falling down while backing up thing that I've missed? Seriously that's kind of game breaking for me when I fall down every time I move backwards. Other than that I love the mod, just never been able to figure out while people think it's realistic to stumble so much in other mods and games as well.
As Cozur stated in the FAQ, it's to disable the player from backpedalling while slashing one enemy after the other. If you level the Acrobatics skill up, the chance of stumbling should go down. It very rarely happens to me.

Reus said:
Ni said:
Hello,

As Cozur stated in the FAQ, it's to disable the player from backpedalling while slashing one enemy after the other. If you level the Acrobatics skill up, the chance of stumbling should go down. It very rarely happens to me.

I guess my search skills suck then. I looked for a FAQ and any info I could find on why stumbling was in place and if any skills could help overcome it and couldn't find any. Since the character I was planning was only going to have a 12 Agility (so 4 Acrobatics at the most) will he still stumble a lot?

Ni said:
I guess my search skills suck then. I looked for a FAQ and any info I could find on why stumbling was in place and if any skills could help overcome it and couldn't find any. Since the character I was planning was only going to have a 12 Agility (so 4 Acrobatics at the most) will he still stumble a lot?
FAQ - http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-clash-of-kings/features/frequently-asked-questions-faq2

Question 44.
Q: The stumble feature is super annoying, how do I turn it off/how can I lessen the effect/why did you put it in?
A: You can't turn it off, but if you get 6 in athletics, there's only a 2% chance you'll stumble. The feature was added as a way to counteract the obvious exploit of backpedalling across the map, forcing the enemy into a thin line and then enabling the player to kill them one by one. Was way too overpowered.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

And on the note of stumbling and athletics - you can actually just start with athletics 5 by choosing the thief lifepath choices. Plus a short sword. That's a smooth start.

UnclePutte said:
Merry Christmas to everyone.

And on the note of stumbling and athletics - you can actually just start with athletics 5 by choosing the thief lifepath choices. Plus a short sword. That's a smooth start.

It would be best if AI also suffer from "stumbling" when moving backwards. I prefer me to exploit the AI rather than AI to exploit me with cheating abilities.

Hello all!

I generally like to shy away from blatant self-promotion, but I do record a lot of ACOK let's plays for youtube

Anyway, I have the privilege of advance access to ACOK 2.0 (thanks again Cozur)! And also I have permission to do a LP of the mod-in-progress, so naturally I'm doing one.

brief explanation and a link to the playlist

Currently I've just been looking at new items and equipment sets for for soldiers, trading and playing the early game, but when I get my initial rabid curiosity satisfied, I'll probably set up some scenarios to showcase the different armies in battle (ie: make a Reach Army and fight the Westerlands in a scrimmage, that sort of thing) and any new scenes I may find.

My channel isn't monetized or anything like that. I hope you'll check out some videos of advance 2.0. If you like my general style (whatever it is), there are about 350 other ACOK videos on my channel as well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWj_9-YuGMpo_5YfFuZKLbq0iBLCMjOFQ

^here's the playlist. There is about 4 hours of video so far, and I'm about to record some more. I hope you'll enjoy!

Please do not assume that I know anything about the timeline of the release of the finished 2.0, I do not. What I can tell you is that the rebalancing of troops is amazing, and this will unquestionably be the best version of ACOK I've ever played.

TarquinGaming said:
Hello all!

I generally like to shy away from blatant self-promotion, but I do record a lot of ACOK let's plays for youtube

Anyway, I have the privilege of advance access to ACOK 2.0 (thanks again Cozur)! And also I have permission to do a LP of the mod-in-progress, so naturally I'm doing one.

Currently I've just been looking at new items and equipment sets for for soldiers, trading and playing the early game, but when I get my initial rabid curiosity satisfied, I'll probably set up some scenarios to showcase the different armies in battle (ie: make a Reach Army and fight the Westerlands in a scrimmage, that sort of thing) and any new scenes I may find.

My channel isn't monetized or anything like that. I hope you'll check out some videos of advance 2.0. If you like my general style (whatever it is), there are about 350 other ACOK videos on my channel as well.

^here's the playlist. There is about 4 hours of video so far, and I'm about to record some more. I hope you'll enjoy!

Please do not assume that I know anything about the timeline of the release of the finished 2.0, I do not. What I can tell you is that the rebalancing of troops is amazing, and this will unquestionably be the best version of ACOK I've ever played.
When looks like I now have a reason to waste my weekend. :razz:

TarquinGaming said:
Hello all!

looks interesting, haven't watched all of them but can you tell us if Godsgrace, Vaith, and Bitterbridge have been made towns? since they are supposed to be towns from the new book, (if Bitterbridge isn't a town I get why, there is far to many in that general area already). also, although major holdfasts aren't shown in the new book would it be possible for you to put in a word in re-adding places like Greenfield which is mentioned as a formidable holdfast but isn't shown on the map of the Westerlands, with the adding and removing of fiefs it seems like the map is really stagnant, especially the north (now that they have the riverlands as well) they are basically paralyzed. personally I think the addition of a few more holdfasts or minor keeps would keep lords from defecting in mid-late game (the ones who don't already have a fief can be granted one) and there wouldn't be so many dead spots on the map (like for example between Fellwood, Tumbleton and Kings Landing the only reason for an army to go through that area is to go down the Kingsroad and cross the 2 bridges to attempted to take Kings Landing and as you analyzed in one of your videos you said the Stormlands hadn't moved out at all and was really only fighting Dragonstone over Massey's Hook and Haystack Hall), 2 more deadspots would be between Tumbleton, Stoney Sept, Hornvale and Deep Den (like 2 villages in between there), and basically from the Saltpans all the way strait shot to Moat Caitlin. Also, and I know this has been done to death, but a case can be made that the major castles (Storms End, Winterfell, Riverrun, Pyke, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, and the Eyrie) in the new book are towns with uber (formidable) castles attached to them, which would make all the capitals of the regions more valuable. Watching your play-through I couldn't help but notice that even with the addition of Rooks Rest, Dragonstone still seemed kind of weak, I hope that he takes a look at balancing them a bit, maybe adding a few more vassals and fiefs or something (idk what he has planned with the quest he mentioned to kill Renly). Will you be devoting one of your video's to the quests in 2.0, new and old to see if the old ones have been tweaked and to give us a heads up on what to expect with the new ones?

The World of Ice and Fire is a great reference book for everything.
Plus The Land of Ice and Fire is a great map for the world of George R.R. Martin.
The good thing is that both works are pure canon and it would be best if we rely on their information as much as we can.

Btw, I am very glad that the 2.0 version is wonderful and near release.

Azsouth said:

reply below, because I am conscious of typing lots of words.

Dorne has not had any castles changed to cities, their only geographical change that I've noticed is that Starfall is on the other side of the Torentine. I think the main reason for this is that Dorne is "wealthy" enough with two cities (very few factions have more than two, even the more "important" factions like the Stormlands and Dragonstone only have one apiece) and giving them more would make them even more powerful when they break out. Unless their OP bandits keep them down, which happens often enough.

Goldengrove and Lord Harroway's Town are the only cities added/changed on Westeros, Essos has a handful more.

Dragonstone still does seem a bit weak as far as the campaign AI goes but: that's canon, and I also have sellsworded for the Lannisters for nearly two months (I don't think that my troops made THAT large of an impact, but I certainly freed up the Westerlanders to do other things with their time than run down X Lord with 40 men). The more ACOK I play, the more I appreciate how great the strategic position of The Westerlands is. When I made a personal modification on 1.5, I buffed pretty much every other faction and even made The Vale hard allies with the North, The Westerlands still did extremely well for themselves right until my player kingdom turned on them two thousand days in. Westeros is really big and they're in the core of it and the richest/strongest faction on top of that.

Can't speak of TWOIAF and its influence or lack of influence on the map, since I've not been lucky/industrious to get myself a copy yet (had to spend the Christmas giftcards on a new motherboard :X ) , but bits of information from it seem to be everywhere, especially in the Ports and Harbors that you'll find all over the map. I think they're my favorite bit of texture in 2.0, along with the fact that sea travel has been so incredibly improved. I agree that it would be nice to see some sign of civilization on the way from the Saltpans to Moat Cailin, even if just near The Crossing, but I don't know enough about the map to make particular suggestions.

I plan to transition from sellswording/bandit-slaughter to checking out the quests in a few in-game levels, since I'll probably want to do nothing but quests and I want to have the bankroll to fall back on. I'll shoot you a PM with the link when I start questing full time, if you like.

If anyone has a scenario/scene/quest/siege they particularly want to see, just let me know. I'll do my best to make it happen over the next couple of days, since my job looks like it's gonna be dead until the new year.

Back
Top Bottom