Resolved Game launches with black screen, cursor, and sound--no visuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
Summary: I was attempting to fix an unrelated bug (trying to fix a known shaders issue related to the scene editor) and deleted the "shaders" folder in the main directory. Upon launch, I received an error message (unfortunately I did not catch what it was) and the game crashed. Now the game only launches with a black screen and mouse cursor. I can hear the audio from the splash screen and menu but that is it. Using alt-tab to leave the game window causes significant lag. I have since resorted to verifying my game files, reinstalling the game on my C drive and then my D drive to ensure a clean install, and I have deleted the Bannerlord folder from My Documents. I have also played with the resolution options and window options within the engine_config.
How to Reproduce: Apparently deleting the "shaders" folder in the main directory with the relevant specs.
Have you used cheats and if so which: I originally had cheats enabled in the engine_config at the time of the first crash.
Scene Name (if related): N/A
Media (Screenshots & Video): N/A; only a black screen with sound after launch
Computer Specs:
GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series
GPU Driver Version: 21.20.01.14-210617a1-368925C-RadeonSoftware
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3593 Mhz
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard: AS Rock B450M-HDV R4.0
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Both drives are SSD

Have you tried a clean install?
Clean Install
The clean install is removing every single game-related file from your computer and installing the game again. Why do you need to remove the game while you just want to remove the modifications? Unfortunately, some of the modifications do not just add a new modules folder but also change or adds contents to the existent modules folder. Without a reinstall, we can't be sure those files are unchanged.

To perform a Clean Install, Uninstall the game. You can do that by right-clicking the game on Steam Library and selecting Delete Local Content. Delete all folders related to the game that remains after the uninstallation. The folders that might have files inside:
Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord
Epic: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord
C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord

Note: You'll need to allow Windows to display hidden folders and files to see the ProgramData folder and its contents.

Have you tried a clean install?
I tried a clean install on my C drive, and I installed the game on my D drive. I also made ensured that "show hidden files, folders and drive" was applied to all folders and deleted the entire Bannerlord file off of the drives before reinstalling. Still getting a black screen with mouse cursor and sound upon launch.

Can you try deleting the configs folder of the game located in the Documents folder? If you don't want to delete you can simply move the folder to the Desktop. The game will crate new files on launch.

Can you try deleting the configs folder of the game located in the Documents folder? If you don't want to delete you can simply move the folder to the Desktop. The game will crate new files on launch.
I just deleted the configs folder, launched the game, same issue occurred--black screen, cursor and sound.
A new configs folder with seemingly the same settings was created after I launched and then force quit the game.

[Update]
I located the "Mount and Blade II Bannerlord" folder under ProgramData and deleted it. I also factory reset and updated my GPU drivers. The game launches properly again. This issue is resolved.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Back
Top Bottom