In Progress Game freeze late in the battle, possibly cause by too many corpses and ragdolls

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.9
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
Summary: Game freeze late in the battle, doesn't crash (so no dump and no crash upload), CPU and RAM usage remains unchanged but no GPU usage. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it might cause by too many corpses in the battlefield.

How to Reproduce: Set both "Number Of Corpses" and "Number Of Ragdolls" in "Performance" to "Unlimited", fight a big battle in campaign, preferably over 1600 men both sides combine, when casualties reach a large number, there's a chance that the game will freeze. Especially when most of the corpses and remaining soldiers are concentrated in a small area, and you stay close and look in that direction (too many entities in the scene?).

Though some times it could happen even when there are a lot of bodies in the field but not that many in the current scene, like in a siege battle, casualties were high, but I was standing outside the wall so there weren't a lot of bodies I can "see", but it could still happen.

Have you used cheats and if so which: Yes, use like 200 horse archers fight against a big army like 1400 or more, make your troops invincible, and let them stand in place and fight (so most of the soldiers and bodies would concentrate in that area), you either join the fight or keep a close eye on them. I can almost 100% reproduce the freeze using that way.

Computer Specs:
GPU: RTX 3090
GPU Driver Version: 465.89
CPU: i9 9900k
RAM: 64GB 3733MHz
Motherboard: Z370
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

Happens in both 1.5.8 and 1.5.9, afk several moths ago, start playing again few days earlier, never happen when I play the game last year.
I also made a reply in this thread, I think it might be the same problem, don't know why it was set to resolved, said it still happens "on some sieges": https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-when-enemy-got-around-20-troops-left.439604/
So far it hasn't happen again after I set "Number Of Corpses" to "Very High" with unlimited ragdolls, or set "Number Of Ragdolls" to 10 with unlimited corpses. But it almost happen every time when they were both set to "Unlimited" and I fought a field battle of over 1600 men. Had to running around in some corner, chasing a few fallen behind, stay away from the main battlefield so it would less likely happen.
Seems it happens less in sieges, even when it was unlimited corpses and ragdolls, and scale was large.

Last edited:
I had the same issue in e1.5.9 beta. I experienced it in a siege. I tried to finish that siege atleast 20 times, but it always froze after only 70-0 enemy troops remained. In my case the number of corpses were set to unlimited. After trying different settings i could finish the siege if I set the number of ragdolls to 0 (every other option was maxed out).

I had the same issue in e1.5.9 beta. I experienced it in a siege. I tried to finish that siege atleast 20 times, but it always froze after only 70-0 enemy troops remained. In my case the number of corpses were set to unlimited. After trying different settings i could finish the siege if I set the number of ragdolls to 0 (every other option was maxed out).
Speaking of that, I did set number of ragdolls to "Unlimited", wonder if it had anything to do with that.

Hello, i am glad the freezes are gone. But we still need to inspect the issue. We have a special performance build to check for these issues by collecting telemetry data. Can you switch to that build, set the game settings so it would cause a freeze and test your performance and send us your data?
  1. Switch to “perf_test” from the Steam betas tab. You can find more info about it here.
  2. Open the game as usual and proceed to the stage where you are experiencing performance issues.
  3. Before the performance issues start, toggle the profiling tool by holding the “right shift” and pressing the “T” key.
  4. Record for 20-30 seconds, press the toggle key combination again. Please keep in mind that, the more you record, the more upload time it will require.
  5. Find the "test.tmcap" file in the "...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client" folder. You can find the "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord" folder inside Steam’s application library folder.
  6. Finally, upload the file to the "upload.taleworlds.com" site. Please write your username and this threads URL into the description box so that we can find it easier. It is appreciated if you provide more information about your PC, what you were doing while the game was recording and your graphics configuration. If the data you are trying to upload is too big or the site fails to upload, you can use an alternative site to upload your data. If you choose to do that please left a reply to this thread with the download link.

I tested it 3 times and the freeze only happened once. I used the perf test version. I dont know if i managed to record it with shift + T but I still have the "test.tmcap" file.

I uploaded the save file I tested it with, but the test.tmcap was too large to upload, so I included the link to it in the description.

Hello, i am glad the freezes are gone. But we still need to inspect the issue. We have a special performance build to check for these issues by collecting telemetry data. Can you switch to that build, set the game settings so it would cause a freeze and test your performance and send us your data?
  1. Switch to “perf_test” from the Steam betas tab. You can find more info about it here.
  2. Open the game as usual and proceed to the stage where you are experiencing performance issues.
  3. Before the performance issues start, toggle the profiling tool by holding the “right shift” and pressing the “T” key.
  4. Record for 20-30 seconds, press the toggle key combination again. Please keep in mind that, the more you record, the more upload time it will require.
  5. Find the "test.tmcap" file in the "...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client" folder. You can find the "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord" folder inside Steam’s application library folder.
  6. Finally, upload the file to the "upload.taleworlds.com" site. Please write your username and this threads URL into the description box so that we can find it easier. It is appreciated if you provide more information about your PC, what you were doing while the game was recording and your graphics configuration. If the data you are trying to upload is too big or the site fails to upload, you can use an alternative site to upload your data. If you choose to do that please left a reply to this thread with the download link.
I currently don't have a saved game that can stably reproduce this issue, perhaps you can take a look at Marcidy's uploaded files and see if you have the telemetry data you needed?

Also, from what I tested before, it's really easy to reproduce it using a small army to fight a vary large one (over 1400 men) in a field battle with the right setting and invincible cheat, maybe your QA team can try to reproduce it and record the data? Other than it happens when the amount of bodies reach a very large number, the timing of its occurrence is still uncertain, and record the entire second half of the battle would probably result in a very large capture file.

I have also been experiencing this issue. Just happened at the end of a very long siege. My CPU was running at 100% during the freeze, 97% was bannerlord. After ALT F4ing to close the game, the screen disappears but the audio remains and bannerlord moves from Apps to Background Processes in the task manager.

The same for me but it does not affected by amount of corpse or rad dolls, even if set to 0 both issue happening.

You can test it in the siege battle in this save file:

It always happening at later stage when main troops start to fight on the walls.

Also it happens even if I dead and troops fight them selfes.

Hi I had this happen to my yesterday, was defending a town with about 600 vs Derthert about 1200, once Derthret reached about 200 soldiers left the screen freezed, not even a crush notification. happed again after the reload. I was forced to Sally out of the town to continue the game without a freeze.

with latest patch, very strong machine: (11900k, 64GB, 3070) and all settings set to max.

Should I upload the save file? how? where to?

Just wanted to chime in that I have this issue too. I get freezes near the end of large battles with settings set to unlimited corpses, 0 ragdoll.

I have played with the ragdoll count and there has been no changes to the freeze.

Is there a way to limit corpses in between unlimited and very high? Very high feels a bit too low and unlimited causes freezes for my system

Back
Top Bottom