Resolved Game doesn't launch via Steam + web-site support via ticket ignores my ticket for a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary:
Launcher in Steam isn't launching at all. Not even an error message shows up.

That's an old bug, I've been experiencing it since launch. Since then almost 2 years have passed, I've changed my OS and updated some parts of my PC (GPU for instance). Installed it whole clean now and this happens again.

Back then I've posted a ticket at the forum and it was unsolved for 4 months. All what I was left is a workaround "launch via bannerlord_native.exe" but that left me 1) without multiplayer, 2) without adequate modding. I've tried everything: reinstalling, updating OS to the latest, updating drivers, deleting CNs folder, etc. I don't even remember how many things I've tried...

After 4 months being delayed, (and last 1,5 of a month) of ignoring I dropped the case and the game entirely, just dumping it far away and forgetting about it. Now with an updated OS and PC I've tried again out of curiosity. Still the same.

I want to try to solve this once again for one last time after all these years to give this some closure. I ask your team for assistance in this.

Thank you in advance.

Version: e.1.6.4
Is the game modded?: no
How to Reproduce
: launch the game
Have you used cheats and if so which: no

Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6gb)
GPU Driver Version: 496.13 (10.12.2021)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.40GHz overclocked to 4.10GHz
RAM: 16
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): HDD 1tb (installation location) + SSD 256gb (main drive, operates the OS)
Crash Dump Identifier (if applicable): none

I went with this to the ticket system, recieved a standard anwser suggesting:
1. Verifying integrity of the game
2. Disabling antivirus
3. Reinstalling OS
4. Reinstalling game
5. Deleting configs/CN etc folders
6. Launching .singleplayer/.multiplayer launchers separately.

Nothing have worked.
I gave (out of my own initiative) logs from Win crash reporter and event log. Without even confirming that tech support recieved them, support went silent and ignores any attempts to get in touch with them via ticket again so I can't continue resolving my problem.

Have you tried deleting the Bannerlord folder in the ProgramData? Also, have you tried a clean install?
Clean Install
The clean install is removing every single game-related file from your computer and installing the game again. Why do you need to remove the game while you just want to remove the modifications? Unfortunately, some of the modifications do not just add a new modules folder but also change or adds contents to the existent modules folder. Without a reinstall, we can't be sure those files are unchanged.

To perform a Clean Install, Uninstall the game. You can do that by right-clicking the game on Steam Library and selecting Delete Local Content. Delete all folders related to the game that remains after the uninstallation. The folders that might have files inside:
Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord
Epic: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord
C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord

Note: You'll need to allow Windows to display hidden folders and files to see the ProgramData folder and its contents.

Have you tried deleting the Bannerlord folder in the ProgramData? Also, have you tried a clean install?
Yes and yes.

Since then I changed whole OS (with formatting the drives) so my system was wiped clean. But the issue is the same.

I also looked what was in the Program Data\Bannerlord folder. It was basically empty since with my current issue shaders won't even generate since launcher doesn't start itself properly to make any.

Could you opt in to 1.6.5 beta version and try again? If it still happening we need the launcher log which is located at "C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\logs\launcher_log_NNNNN.txt"

Could you opt in to 1.6.5 beta version and try again? If it still happening we need the launcher log which is located at "C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\logs\launcher_log_NNNNN.txt"
I tried this but not, that didn't help.

Strangely enough, I didn't find any of the logs either.

Looks like the launcher shuts down even before initializing. Just on the spot. In the task manager it operates merely for a split second.
I launched the game just for a test via bannerlord_native - it works and creates logs. Via launcher - well, nothing. Not even logs for ProgramData.

The error info in event viewer tells this:

Fault bucket 2189274514586233090, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 6177f622
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 10.0.19041.1202
P6: c9db1934
P7: e0434352
P8: 0000000000034f99
P9:
P10:

Faulting application name: TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6177f622
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1202, time stamp: 0xc9db1934
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034f99
Faulting process id: 0xb28
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7cb624131cde2
Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f816aaf5-fe8b-4049-840d-2e59a58d70f4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NotSupportedException

Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(System.Reflection.AssemblyName, System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef, IntPtr, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(System.Reflection.AssemblyName, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef, IntPtr, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, Byte[], System.Configuration.Assemblies.AssemblyHashAlgorithm, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(System.String)
at TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.Program.OnAssemblyResolve(System.Object, System.ResolveEventArgs)
at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.String)

Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
at TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.Program.Main(System.String[])

I can add Win log files in an archive if required.

In fact, I find it strange. The same error through 2 years, 2 different OS (back then it was Win7, now it's Win10 and fully updated).
Hm...

I'm thinking that's a conflict with my PC but I can't really pinpoint the problem then. Looks like I have to download WinSDK with a debugger in it to look into the details.

Last edited:
Can you go over the .dlls and .exes in the "\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client" folder and check their properties to see if they need to be "unblocked" or not?

There should be 174 files, I know it's a lot but I would really appreciate it. You can start from the launcher exe and dlls that have "launcher" in their names.

and also I'd like to point out that my folder only has 110 files
This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Maybe I have some extras for some reason.

Can you run dir, on that directory? And send me all the file names.

And also can you check EventViewer and confirm that you're also getting an exception on System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName, System.IO.FileLoadException?
@John Frederick

Your issue is different than @Count Rugel I'm guessing from the stack that you're able to see the launcher but the game either doesn't open when you press Play or closes immediately.

I suggest you delete the Win64_Shipping_Client folder completely and verify the game.

Can you go over the .dlls and .exes in the "\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client" folder and check their properties to see if they need to be "unblocked" or not?

There should be 174 files, I know it's a lot but I would really appreciate it. You can start from the launcher exe and dlls that have "launcher" in their names.

Ok, got you.
Will give you an anwser in next 20 mins or so.

Just by the way - 174 files? 100%?
My contains about 104. And I definately remember verifying the game's integrity. Running one again while we're talking.

Update.
Checked them all.
Nope, no check marks on "read only".
Only the folders have it and it's unremovable - it's automatically sets to every folder on the HDD and sets again if removed (even tried to do it to my 600Gb folder of Steam Library), but files aren't affected. It doesn't impede other games from launching etc.

I had multiple explorer windows open, I probably looked at the wrong window. It's 105 files and 2 folders for me.

I meant if you saw the "Unblock" checkbox seen in the image I shared but I guess you didn't see something like that.
Nope. Nothing needed unblocking either.

Ok. I re-checked. No, that's 105 and 2 folders - mono and BattlEye. Looks the same here. I accidentally miscalculated.

Ran an integrity verification to be sure. Steam says again, that everything is in order.

Back
Top Bottom