Resolved Game crashes after a while freezing the PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.7.261159
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Didn't really find a common factor for the crashes I've been experiencing, it just appears to happen after a while of playing. The entire screen goes black, grey or white (usually grey) and I'm in the end forced to manually shut down my PC by holding down the power button. This is also why I can't use the crash uploader system because the pop up won't appear on the screen. I can HEAR it open but can't do anything with the screen entirely black, grey or white.
EDIT: Wanted to add that I've already played 29 hours and only today started having this problem so about 27 hours of no problems and I can't figure out what changed.

GPU: GeForce GTX 970
GPU Driver Version: GeForce Game Ready Driver version 461.72 (02/25/2021)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Anniversary
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

Last edited:
Are there any folders in the hidden folder,
C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\crashes
To go there, copy and paste the above in the search bar.
The 'crashes' folder isn't there. I'm assuming it's only created once a crash report is produced? I made sure that the option to show hidden folders was on and even if I copied the address to the file explorer it just says that Windows can't find said path.

Do you remember doing anything in particular that might have frozen the game? Any ideas of replication?
Only things I can think of that it never crashed in battle or while walking around town/tavern/village or in the menus so only on the map screen. I can't completely recall but I think I was always speeding up time when it crashed. But nothing else in particular. Once I was just standing still, waiting for a sieging army to move, another time I was chasing an army, once I was travelling from Ocs Hall to Charas and it crashed around the midpoint and once I was just standing next to a friendly city just to see if it would crash on the start of day 366 of the campaign. It did crash but right after as I tried to replicate it, I decided to change my display from fullscreen to windowed and it no longer crashed on the start of day 366. I changed it back to fullscreen afterwards and it crashed maybe an hour later. That's about all I can tell you, sorry.

EDIT: I'll try and see if it crashes on Windowed mode as well. If it does then we could at least rule out that it's not dependent on that at least, right? Also, it always asks if I want to launch the game in Safe Mode because it crashed in the previous session and I've tried it with launching in safe mode and not but both ways have resulted in a crash.

EDIT2: Sure enough, it crashed in Windowed mode too after about 15 minutes of standing still outside of Sargot at Fast Forward.

Last edited:
Do you remember doing anything in particular that might have frozen the game? Any ideas of replication?
I get the impression that it crashes once it reaches a certain number of simulated events, so NPC army fighting another etc. Because if I play normally doing battles and such I can play longer than the 15 minutes it takes to crash just standing around with fast forward enabled.

IT would be great if we were able to see the crash dump. Is the game freezing every time?
Yes, so far it hasn't crashed without freezing the PC. I guess I could try let it crash and just leave it frozen on the offchance that it unfreezes and maybe then it would create the crash dump?

Can you try to demo a benchmark of 3dmark to see the results of your PSU usage?
I did the Time Spy benchmark and the results said 'Great' with a score of 3240 out of a best of 4291 and an average of 3606. However, it doesn't give any information on PSU usage.

Tried playing a couple of hours today with the new patch for the main branch (1.5.8.) and didn't experience any crashing so, that's at least a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom