Game breaking faction/kingdom snowballing balance problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Damn, it seems I personally will have to wait a bit still before starting fresh. They definitely have made an improvement though. I don't expect a patch tommorow as it's Sunday, but I assume this is going to take quite a while to fix.

Year 1090
nPHUROg.jpeg

Factions wiped by years 1086 to 1088: Northern Empire, Western Empire, Sturgia.

IMHO, It shouldn't be that easy to see a faction be totally destroyed, it has to be possible but it should be a task of immense proportions.

Southern Empire its starting to snowball right now, Spring 1090, the next victim seems to be Battania. I see the lords of the defeated factions being captured by other lords and bandits alike, making it impossible for them to recover. Although I have noticed a reduction of captured lords.

Its a big step, but we need more tuning to get this fixed.

Sorry my english.

PS: NO player interaction.

Last edited:
@kase04 Nothing wrong with your English. Thanks for the feedback. Seems to be still unplayable then, the game needs to last long enough so then we'll have to wait and see. I wonder what Taleworlds has got planned for this.

@kase04 Nothing wrong with your English. Thanks for the feedback. Seems to be still unplayable then, the game needs to last long enough so then we'll have to wait and see. I wonder what Taleworlds has got planned for this.

Do you think the distance of land has something to do with it? I bet it has. Compare vlandias to sturgias for example. Almost have double the land to cover and defend. That might be why the battanians are always one of the top factions? Small, concentrated land area. Can defend with ease, therefor, attack more frequent. Thoughts?

Theres a lot of work that needs to be done about this. I can name a few of my ideas:
-Unit gear/skill/stat balance, troop trees. I saw certain infantry like the vlandian sergeant not having a 1h close combat weapon, only a spear. etc
-Balance of actual gear, i saw some weird values on certain pieces.
-AI campaign(movement,recruiting,working together to defend etc) multiple times i saw a lord or two pass an army and dont help them.
-AI battle simulations(both field/siege). for example i saw a garrison double the size of the sieging army lose, kinda unrealistic.
-Diplomacy, there should prob be economic penalties for being at war for long. So making temporary truces/ceasefire.
-Add council gatherings of lords, about plans, war campaigns, policies etc. (similar to old feasts)
-taking over territories should slowly change that territories culture, to the owners one. (having such big diversity in troops compared to the faction your fighting is a big advantage, or perhaps morale loss if theres too many units of different culture).
-also maybe rebelious populace that you conquered, taking more time for you to be able to recruit from there.
-lords that are recruited from another faction should have their troop culture changed to the one they are recruited to(with maybe some troops of old).

Here is almost 5 hours split between two different campaigns sped up 24x time to show the overall map progression of snowballing. It's not nearly as bad as it was before but there is still some work to be done. One faction always seems to be wiped out but it takes more time compared to older patches.

Run #1-

Run #2-

I loaded up warband to see how it compared, 60 days in of waiting, only castles have exchanged hands a few times, not a single city taken, the AI managed to declare peavce and start new wars in those times, mostly against swadia of course. but I think the biggest thing in Bannerlord is that the AI seem to be able to take cities way to easily. I think garrisons need to be much larger than they are, some cities have only 150 garrison and then 150 militia, wich are probably terrible, there needs to be larger amounts of proffesional guards, because armies are riding around with 600 men easily taking towns, I remember in warband it would need every single lord to make an 1k army, in this its not nearly as many lords to reak 1k, and 600 men armies are very common. if TW really want to stop the snowballing they need to increase the wieght at wich the AI considers peace, and start the game with no factions at war, in every single game and in the videos posted above. LAGATA is always the first city to fall 100% of every game ive played battania always takes 3 cities from the western empire pretty much within the first season

In another thread, someone posted that one of the main issues with factions in constant war is that the Kingdom Decisions tab isn't fully operational. These incomplete features cause factions to constantly declare unending wars.

Can anyone confirm this? I agree, my desire to play the game is dwindling knowing campaigns end as quickly as they do.

Maybe lords need things to do other than war. They should need to care for diplomacy with their vassals and their kingdom internal affairs significantly more, but I understand this is a good bit of work. Or other things, idk, just give them something human to do other than war.

I guess we'll wait, and there is no need to keep bashing on this issue more, the devs are very aware of this. That's why they keep making small changes until they can focus all their energy on balance and such. They fixed a good amount of major crashes, so we can hope this comes soon enough.

Creating a 700+ men army seems to be no problem for the lords, and they can even create them consecutively ie. one army is destroy , theyll just create a new one almost immidietly, just as big as the last one.
On the other hand militias are very small, well not neceserally that they are too small but it seems no lord seems to be interested in defending his city so they just leave a really really small garisson and move one, leaving the city vulnerable.

Other thing i noticed that the lords dont really care for anything but the numbers in their armies. They dont care that they have 1000 men army filled with almost completly tier 1 and tier 2 units, theyll confidently go on the offenesive. Which will yield suecess in taking a city since the cities is are always guarded by small ammount of militia troops and bearly any garissons, but they wont be able to hold the city.

Army AI also needs addressed in this. I don't know how many times I scream at my monitor because our army of 1000 runs past a enemy army of 800 just to raid a village. Needs prioritization, they just make questionable decisions, especially when a castle or city is under siege, we have the bigger army and a garrison, lets attack the hostile army not run up, stand for a second then run away to raid a village.

Recreated my save as the first game khuzait took over most of the map and i sided with sturgia so were all but getting wiped out seen alot of these posts online about snowballing and the updates so i was either forced to turn on cheats to nerf khuzait myself or start a new save.

So i deleted my old save as it was unplayable and not fun anymore on my second save on day 180 odds and my map looks more or less the same khuzait have more or less have control of 50% of the map. This occurring all before i have sided with a faction or even leveled up my clan to have a sufficant number to combat these kind of numbers of troops.

I understand this is early access but this issue an i appreciate you have released two updates to attempt to fix this already but how was this not picked up in beta? Its glaringly obvious to anyone who plays the game and right now makes the game unplayable for anyone who doesnt side with the winning faction.

I look forward to coming back to bannerlord when its in more balanced state and actually worth investing hours into because right now its a waste of time.

Your game is brilliant i love it i dont expect a feature complete game as its in early access and i hope you fix this soon.

Currently on 1.05

also i noticed when at peace, my faction still continues to create armies almost constantly. They create armies then go around our territory just patrolling between villages and cities never actually engaging in combat, which even if they wanted to would not be able to since a large army is always slower than a 20 men bandit party, but what is the point, all they do is waste everyones food and then disband. Why does the AI forces those armies so much, there is definetly an underlying issue there that needs to be fixed.

also i noticed when at peace, my faction still continues to create armies almost constantly. They create armies then go around our territory just patrolling between villages and cities never actually engaging in combat, which even if they wanted to would not be able to since a large army is always slower than a 20 men bandit party, but what is the point, all they do is waste everyones food and then disband. Why does the AI forces those armies so much, there is definetly an underlying issue there that needs to be fixed.

You get 1 influence per day for patrolling in that army... and if you got starving parties in that army you get even more influence ... what do you want more ? Easy influence and a little time for taking a coffee ... If you run out of food leave the army ...

Back
Top Bottom