Future Plans

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi everyone,

After 3 years of fooling myself that I'd continue this mod at some point, I think it's time to lay it to rest. I will post the source code in a few days so that anyone who wants to can continue working on it. However this is not the end, it's only the beginning, as I will explain below.

Why start?
Sayazn started as a dumb project I engrossed myself into during my University degree. Initially I just wanted to recreate the Battle of Chaldiran in warband by adding a few guns and some smoke, but eventually it ballooned into a passion project with youtubers and random people online playing the hell out of it. Really, genuinely, thanks for all the support. I never would have thought anyone would enjoy my silly Ottoman-centric fantasy universe with rocket nuns and tamil samurai, and I definitely never thought I would be seeing playthroughs of my own mod in my subscription box. I read every comment you guys post and even though I'm an aloof edgelord who never responds I really appreciate every hour you've put into this.

Why stop?
When Viking Conquest released in 2015, Taleworlds ported the changes over to Warband. These included some engine-side changes which broke many of the features I was working on (Airship battles especially which I actually had working for a short while before the change), and created a handful of rare bugs which were basically impossible to fix because they never showed error messages. This killed my patience for modding warband which is temperamental enough without unfixable bugs being thrown into the mix. The code is practically undocumented and lots of functions don't work as intended even to this day. However I still had a lot planned and never wanted to rule out the possibility of returning. At this point however I had a full time job and couldn't justify it.

Is someone going to help finish the mod?
I will make the source code available so that anyone with the same workaholic brain disease as me can try and iron out some bugs or add new features or what-have-you. Bear in mind that I was working as a single modder with nobody to answer to, so some of my code solutions are downright insane--the way I solve problems is kind of weird, so if you decide to take up this task and see a piece of code which makes you go "uhhhhhhh what is this supposed to do", send me a PM and I will try to put myself in my 2014 mind and give you some guidance.

What now?
Since around March 2018 I have been working on a citybuilding RTS called Iron Chieftain [Link]. It's set in the same universe, spanning 100-500 years before the events of this mod and thus right on the eve of the invention of gunpowder. I will add a lot of the things I initially planned to implement in warband, like huge battles, resource management, and things like migrations and dynamic cultures. Even though I don't have much free time to work on it, I already have it in a somewhat playable state.

(Note that some of these screenshots are almost a year old and the game looks a lot better now)

EDO0qZmWwAAkzBB
EDO1Dx1WwAAuWiw
D7CwsaUXoAIDf3R
D3_MEVCWwAANg8Q
D3_MNMmXkAIx0Xl
D2X1Ft2XgAUAIzX

EDO1kjhXoAAnpME
DzKXOKhXQAEw_CW
DywfNkPX4AACnKk

D8jsTuoWsAAPMLV
D7SqfuMXoAA6Z4x
D7SqfiRWwAAoqbp
D7SqvvKX4AA4ORN
D7SqvjTX4AIenAy
EDU9ic5U0AMuQ5s

I am much more excited for this than I ever was for Sayazn, simply because working in Unreal Engine is so much easier than the poorly coded clunkfest that is Warband. Personally I don't have high hopes for Bannerlord so I won't be modding that unless things take a turn for the better (and I have a lot more free time).

What can I (you) do to help?
- Spread the word about Iron Chieftain. If it gets enough attention I may even be able to go part time on my job and finish this a lot faster. Any little bit helps.

- Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/yaqobhyndes
I mostly post my artwork and more frequent screenshots of the progress of the game. I also post a whole load of garbage so be prepared for that.
T2Sc_.png

- Have a look at my artwork. :razz:
https://www.deviantart.com/newest
https://www.facebook.com/hindsart/
www.hindsart.com

Back
Top Bottom