Would you like Taleworlds to make a new Future Plans post, similar to this?

• Yes

Votes: 89 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

You know I appreciate you and the other devs that decide to take the time to come here and read the forums even if they don't comment. I'm really just talking about the main man.

And now I reveal my creepiest moment on the forums. Dad left to get some milk and never came home :xf-cry:
BR2xQ.jpg
xMDck.png
Stop being so dramatic, maybe he forgot his password?

I think this is a misunderstanding. The core idea of the battle terrain system is to move away from a "random" battle scene selection that draws from a terrain type based pool and to using a specific scene for each of the ~150 regions. I personally think this is better because it allows players to learn the terrain and use it to their advantage. One may also argue that it is more immersive. These don't have to all be unique scenes - though, a greater variety is, of course, desirable and something that we have been working on (IIRC it's ~70+ unique ones atm, with a focus on the more recognizable regions).

All a matter of perspective. My personal experience of the journey is that there is - on average - a lot more communication than when I first arrived in the forums in 2010. And to me, the communication is fundamentally more meaningful by virtue of the game being released as well.

As always - this doesn't mean that things can't or shouldn't be better. Just that "abandoned" isn't quite the word I would use.

Well, given that changes have been made since - in the direction of the feedback - and that there are plenty of statements appreciating community feedback in general as well as the forums specifically... I don't think your assessment is accurate.

The situation is not all or nothing - we can agree with some and disagree with other feedback. We may make some changes as suggested, solve a problem a different way, simply view it differently or lack the time / resources to introduce a satisfactory solution. And we can care about the forum community while also caring about people not on the forum :razz:
Hey Duh I hope you fully recovered from the Covid (no long-term effects) and thank you for taking time to correct me about the numbers.
And don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the feature. I like the idea and will certainly enjoy it once it is fully developed.
My point was more about the possible gap between the estimated lead time for its full implementation and reality...

I think this is a misunderstanding. The core idea of the battle terrain system is to move away from a "random" battle scene selection that draws from a terrain type based pool and to using a specific scene for each of the ~150 regions. I personally think this is better because it allows players to learn the terrain and use it to their advantage. One may also argue that it is more immersive. These don't have to all be unique scenes - though, a greater variety is, of course, desirable and something that we have been working on (IIRC it's ~70+ unique ones atm, with a focus on the more recognizable regions).

All a matter of perspective. My personal experience of the journey is that there is - on average - a lot more communication than when I first arrived in the forums in 2010. And to me, the communication is fundamentally more meaningful by virtue of the game being released as well.

As always - this doesn't mean that things can't or shouldn't be better. Just that "abandoned" isn't quite the word I would use.

Well, given that changes have been made since - in the direction of the feedback - and that there are plenty of statements appreciating community feedback in general as well as the forums specifically... I don't think your assessment is accurate.

The situation is not all or nothing - we can agree with some and disagree with other feedback. We may make some changes as suggested, solve a problem a different way, simply view it differently or lack the time / resources to introduce a satisfactory solution. And we can care about the forum community while also caring about people not on the forum :razz:
I hope you have recovered from covid man and welcome back & will there be an updated future plans post?

The difference is that in 2010 the money was in our pocket.

Now (since March 2020) our money is in your pocket. You promised that you would deliver the finished game to us in one year. Then it was six more months. Then six more months. Now there is not even an announced release date...

You are playing with your clients' money. That is not acceptable. This is the main reason for our annoyance.

Duh is back!

The situation is not all or nothing - we can agree with some and disagree with other feedback.
Can I please ask if there is any work or at least discussion continuing to armour calculations, specifically arrow/bolt damage to armour?

That felt like the final death blow honestly
Yep, it was like a death blow. Because of that comment I went to r/mountandblade subreddit and opened a poll about armor/damage calculation. There was already well-thought and written feedbacks about it before the poll. That poll just showed the people who thinks armor/damage calculation is bad in BL are not minority as much as Callum think it is. As already Duh pointed out when that poll results brought to the forum, TW was already planning to change it.

I do not know. I have never been in Callum's shoes, being a CM and dealing with so much toxicity which is something there is so much of that in this forum as we all know. But still replying in that way to forum's users, I do not know, it seems unprofessional. But as I said I am reading someone's intention here and it can be pretty much wrong.

Just that "abandoned" isn't quite the word I would use.

You're ironically right in that "abandoned" is utterly insufficient to describe the situation in multiplayer, the multiplayer section of the forum, and the multiplayer community in general. "Left to rot for eternity with the tumor of TaleWorlds' creation" is probably a more reasonable statement.

I´m pretty sure their last "future plans" thread, aka roadmap from wish, is their final plan. And they struggle to achieve it as we all can see. There is nothing more to expect in my opinion (and no matter how often someone asks for feasts, TW already said several times that they won´t add feasts because it could/would break the game). And I´m 100% sure that no major feature will be added that isn´t already mentioned in their roadmap from wish, stuff like the "barber feature" maybe, but nothing major!

And we won´t get a final release date unless TW is really close to the final release, like 1 month away. TW doens´t know when they´ll be able to achieve the plans mentioned in their roadmap from wish. They don´t even know when they are able to fix the deflection bug...how should they know when they will be able to add all the missing stuff without any new game breaking bugs?

They can´t communicate what they don´t know. They tried 2 times and failed hard. So the only logical step from TW is to not just say anything at all. I don´t blame them for that, but it´s the situation we have.

The best we can hope for is that TW is able to add the missing stuff from their roadmap from wish without game breaking bugs "fast", like fast in TWs world. So in Q1/Q2 next year. Then the modders can finally take over and provide us with an excellent game experience out of this shell of a game.

I´m also pretty sure that TW also wants to finish the game pretty fast, I mean they are working on it for over a decade.
I still don't discard the possibility of yet another new engine re-roll with a development reset for 10 more years! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1, the game has so much potential!
TW not so much tho.

1 year ago, Taleworlds made a Future Plans post, which told us some of the features they wanted to include in the game, and an estimated release date of Q2 2022.

We're now in Q3 2022. The release date was missed again. The planned features are only half done. There's been no patch for nearly 2 months, and silence from Taleworlds. And Bannerlord still has many serious gameplay problems and some missing features, many of which have not been acknowledged.

So, one last Future Plans post is needed, to give the community a release date, reveal to us Taleworlds' plan (if they have one), and acknowledge they are aware of all the game's problems and are going to make Bannerlord a good, fun sequel to Warband that fulfills all its promises.

Here's an example of how it could look:

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

Welcome to our second Future Plans post, which will outline our final plans for the game. Let's look at how much progress we've made since our last post:

* Battle Terrain System: ✴️ We are working on field battle scenes and have 72 to go! Scenes will keep being added after release!
* Companion Peerage: ✅
* Order of Battle: ✴️ We are improving troop sorting based on player feedback!
* Banner Bearers: ❌ Coming soon!
* Party Templates: ✅
* Cut Scenes: ✅
* Sally out mission: ❌ On hold for now.
* Claimant Quests: ❌ Coming soon!
* Voiced Greetings: ❌ We are finding a terrible Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonator to voice Sea Raider greeting lines!
* Simulation Deaths: ✅
* Respec perks: ✅
* Retire Character: ❌ On hold for now.
* Ambient Sound System: ❌ In progress!
* Steam Workshop mod support: ❌ In progress!

Our estimate of having the game ready for release by Q2 2022 missed its mark, and we'd like to apologise for the delay, but we have good news: the delay will be worth it!

In addition to the features we showed in 2021, we promised "more surprises." We have finished deciding how to complete the game. Our aim is to fulfill Bannerlord's pre-release promises, and return missing features from Mount & Blade Warband, so Bannerlord will deliver on all expectations we set. Here is the full, final list of features we plan for Bannerlord to have by release.

CRIMINAL ENTERPRISES
We first teased this much-anticipated feature in 2016, and now it's finally ready! Once the player has defeated an alley gang in combat, they now have the option to start a Criminal Operation in the alley. This is like a workshop, but rather than creating goods, your thugs will rob people to make you money for free! On the downside, it raises your Crime rating, and reduces the security and propserity of the town.
Here we have a demo of this feature:

MINOR FACTION BASES
Minor faction bases, from our 2016 demo, will make minor factions actually do something useful! At these hidden bases, you can do quests to improve your relations with a minor faction, talk to a leader to hire them as mercenaries, recruit unique troops directly, and the minor factions can recruit their own special troops into their armies. Or you can destroy their base to wipe out the minor faction, if you so choose!
QewCKIz.png

KINGDOM MESSENGER
Many players complain it takes too long to find and recruit lords. In Warband, lords visited your capital city, making recruiting lords easier. This was too hard for Bannerlord's more complex AI, so we are working on a system where playes can send out messages by talking to a Minister in their lord's hall, which should make the kingdom phase of the game less irritating and make players feel more like a real ruler.

FEASTS
The beloved feature of Mount & Blade Warband makes a return! The AI will hold feasts during peacetime, which you can attend to gain relation with the guests, and talk to many nobles in one place about marriages or quests; you can also host a feast of your own to gain influence and reputation, or just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere!
After just 1 day of work, here is how the feature looks:

MANHUNTERS
Bandit infestations around the area of a fief can sometimes get massively out of control. These bounty hunters, returning from Warband, can be hired by lords or the player to patrol their fiefs and clean up crime... at a cost! They also have a unique troop tree you can recruit, perfect for capturing prisoners.
After just 1 day of work, here is how the feature looks:

SURPRISE ENCOUNTERS
"You have fallen into a trap!" Returning from Warband, the player can sometimes be ambushed by bandits when they visit towns at night, creating an exciting fight for your life in an interesting setting!
After just 1 hour of work, here is how the feature looks:

REPLAY SYSTEM FOR MULTIPLAYER
First shown in 2020, when it had basic functionality and was lacking UI elements, it is now ready for release. The replay system will allow players to save video of their multiplayer matches!
Here is a demo:

BUGFIXING, BALANCING AND COMPLETING EXISTING FEATURES
In addition, we can confirm work continues on major gameplay issues such as: constant war declarations, tribute calculations favouring the loser, defeated kingdoms not dying off, meaningless votes, nobody ever surrendering, slow player and companion skill levelling, non functional personality traits, noble relations being useless, arrows doing too much damage to armour, the AI's inability to use spears and lances, archers' inability to hit circling horses, jittering unit collision, weapon imbalances, incomplete morale, troop trees lacking variety, the inability to target a specific enemy formation, bugged rain effects, unimplemented town, castle and field battle scenes, lack of variety in siege and hideout music, completing the mod tools, fixing our multiplayer servers, and fixing bugs, performance issues, and crashes.

RELEASE DATE AND EXPANSION
Our new release date is Q2 2023, one year from now. We think we can manage this, and will try hard to reach this release date; however, if this is not possible as the game's features are still not all ready, we will delay the release date one more time.

After release, we will also work on a paid DLC expansion for the game, Mount & Blade: Nordland, which will introduce the Nords faction, ships, naval travel and combat, and other features!

Hopefully, this Future Plans post should have answered all your major questions about the future of Bannerlord, so now you can stop asking us :smile:

Thanks for reading, and have fun. My name is Callum Newell, and my favourite bandit is the Looter.

This is purely a hypothetical post, and not a real statement from TW.

Credit to @Bloc for his gameplay demos of how missing Warband features would look in Bannerlord, which prove it would only take 1 day's work for 1 person to implement them in the game.

A post like this would give me and many other players and buyers confidence that Taleworlds knows all the issues with the game and has a complete plan for solving them. @Callum @Dejan Have you folks got any Future Plans post in the works similar to this?

You are concluding everyones thoughts here.I dont think they care tho they have pockets full of cash and i hardly believe more than 10 plp working on the game.

My point was more about the possible gap between the estimated lead time for its full implementation and reality...
I was trying to say that the battle terrain system is probably not the best example as its fundamental purpose was achieved upon its release. Prior goals for other scene types, on the other hand, were likely overly optimistic. :razz:

The difference is that in 2010 the money was in our pocket.

Now (since March 2020) our money is in your pocket. You promised that you would deliver the finished game to us in one year. Then it was six more months. Then six more months. Now there is not even an announced release date...

You are playing with your clients' money. That is not acceptable. This is the main reason for our annoyance.
You are responding to a reference of me joining the forums around 2010 as a fan. I didn't join the company until 2019. Given that I did pay for Mount & Blade and Warband at the time, the statement holds for me personally.

Can I please ask if there is any work or at least discussion continuing to armour calculations, specifically arrow/bolt damage to armour?
Further adjustments are possible but I wouldn't expect them in the near future.

I was trying to say that the battle terrain system is probably not the best example as its fundamental purpose was achieved upon its release. Prior goals for other scene types, on the other hand, were likely overly optimistic. :razz:
Fair enough (y)
As usual Duh thank you for sharing some insights and your thoughts.
Transparency and sincerity is all what is needed...

You are responding to a reference of me joining the forums around 2010 as a fan. I didn't join the company until 2019. Given that I did pay for Mount & Blade and Warband at the time, the statement holds for me personally.

Obviously he doesnt just mean you "Duh" the man - since you are a part of TW now he is addressing "You guys" as an entirety. Sorry buts thats just par for the course when you join and get hired by the Man. Its like if someone goes to Walmart customer service feels frustrated and they start yelling about "how YOU GUYS wronged her" - she doesnt mean 'You' the person in customer service - but that being a representative.

Part of the problem is there is no feeling of accountability from the highest up devs -or the 'one who shant be named' -thereby frustrating the longterm diehard fanbase to lash out at whomever from TW decides to come here and talk with the common folk. Really the Community Managers job is to be the official go-between but that guy always feels pretty pissed off and jaded not really ever giving any substantive answers but more flippant responses.

Well, given that changes have been made since - in the direction of the feedback
Further adjustments are possible but I wouldn't expect them in the near future.
I find this approach very confusing. Since Bannerlords early access release there has been 2 (1?) Change to the the armour/ damage calculations. Why cant this go through a process of itterative change? Particularly in the beta branch where those changes dont have to make it to live.
I would of have been fine if there were a slightly different armour formula tested in every single beta since early access. Why not?
I do understand there are different views around the armour forumla and some people at Talewords certainly liked the flatter destinction between different armour values and thus tiers of units.

But still why cant we test a new forumula next week?
Why are things like item balance passes 3 month appart - what suddenly makes armour and item values need a pass when they didnt in the 2 patches before that.
Because if they are not perfect then shouldn't they have a pass every week or every new patch/beta?
Are you guys that good that you make it perfect in one pass?
Why is this proccess not itterative?

I also understand in the case of the campaign simulation that if you change something it can have flow on effects that cant be understood imediately so there you may have to take a more careful and gradual approach (though it can still be interative) However the combat side of things is siloed off completely, only in effect when the player is present. Why hasnt there been 4x the changes, to the paramters that are literally just numbers.
Like I get if I were talking about iterative balanace passes on cavalry AI and its ability to swing and make contact with anything that this is actually a hard and multidimentional (literally) nut to crack.

Why is TW so hessitant it seems to change a 10 to a 15 and a 0.7 to an 0.65 when they can change it back the next week if its inccorect.
I'm not talking about the changes where a mail coif is made to finally have more armour than a cloth rag -- thats a bug fix not a balance change.
These sorts of patches could come out without any major content of bug fixes
"Hi I'm Talewords and this is my **** around and find out series of patches." Could open the patch notes just so people dont get too salty about a feature light change list.

Obviously he doesnt just mean you "Duh" the man - since you are a part of TW now he is addressing "You guys" as an entirety. Sorry buts thats just par for the course when you join and get hired by the Man. Its like if someone goes to Walmart customer service feels frustrated and they start yelling about "how YOU GUYS wronged her" - she doesnt mean 'You' the person in customer service - but that being a representative.
I don't really see how this relates to my original post - which simply had me disagree with the term abandonment as communication has increased rather than decreased during the timeline that I personally experienced. It's not terribly contentious.

I would of have been fine if there were a slightly different armour formula tested in every single beta since early access. Why not?
To be very dry... because work doesn't happen in isolation, time & resources are limited and a choice has to be made between different priorities. As the last change has achieved a reasonable improvement, other tasks were valued relatively higher.

Back
Top Bottom