Future of RPG Games - Bannerlord and ChatGPT

Users who are viewing this thread

Errayn

Sergeant Knight at Arms

Bloc said:
The following video will demonstrate the using ChatGPT in Bannerlord with a custom build story engine for NPC dialogue interactions. In the video, we will go to Battanian village, Imlagh and start chatting with random NPC's. NOTHING is scripted in this video. This implementation allows the player to interact with random NPC's in the game directly by typing, in a more natural way. All the stories in here are generated on the fly, with correct information (factions, locations, occupations, near-by events, rulers etc) with a custom story engine and ChatGPT. They provide you information about the world they are living in. This is a demonstration project for showing the possible future of RPG Games and the way we interact with NPC's. I also added, "word by word" text processor to give amplify the "chat" behavior for NPC's (similar to ChatGPT's built-in system) and gave mouth/face animations for NPC's to make them look more alive.

Sorry for the typos in my inputs, I was trying to be coherent and fast while typing :smile: Overall it took 2-3 days to finish, including custom story engines and such. But it's still not finished. More videos will come soon (With Imperial towns, taverns etc)

Last edited:
In-f**king-credible! I figured it would be at least 5-10 years before this tech made it into games, but here's Bloc making it happen right now. Amazing.

It's still a bit too slow for actual in-game use, but I imagine it won't be too long before that improves

WOW this would change the game and make it interesting to enter towns and villages. TW should hire you. A question through . If you spoke to the farmer again would he have the same background ? like dose it remember every ones story ?

Last edited:
I've been watching some youtube videos about ChatGPT and it is amazing how this technology is coming along. Besides school papers that are indistinguishable from the ones done by real people, they are even better!
It's also capable of creating code for different things.

This is where my mind went: since this thing is still free to use, I think TW should consider using it and see if it can fix some of the bugs in the game.

Very impressive. 😳
Would the speed improve if instead of chatting, you can select responses from a menu? The completely openess of a chat is in my opinion not necessary for Bannerlord.

I really like these showcases 👍

One question, in another showcase there where the ai rendering of npc faces, these where really beautiful. I would love to have atleast the pictures of rulers as a loading screen, possibly accompanied with some lore text

Well, in 10 years from now it's might actually generate the whole game from scratch, we'll pay a subscription to have endless ai-generated content.

Impressive implemetation!

WOW this would change the game and make it interesting to enter towns and villages. TW should hire you. A question through . If you spoke to the farmer again would he have the same background ? like dose it remember every ones story ?
Before trying to answer to your question, you first need to understand how BL is populating the in-game scenes.
When you enter a scene, the game is creating "agents" (the bots) to interact with.
There are basically 2 types of agents.
  • Those who are created based on "permanent" characters (unique ID): the main character, notables, Ladies and Lords, companions etc.
  • Those randomly created to make the scene more alive: villagers, traders, townfolks, thugs, chickens, sheeps...
So to reply to your question:
The game may remember about those random NPC's only if they have an unique ID (not the case for villagers).
Which means that every time you speak to a villager (like in this showcase) and that ChatGPT starts to generate some "unique" background, the game will have to create a new "permanent" character with an unique ID. In addition to the appearance, culture etc... the generated background (only keywords maybe) will then be recorded and linked with that new "permanent" character ID.
Looks good so far but if there is no limit set and you start to speak with every single random villagers and townfolks in every villages and towns, you will end up with an impressive save bloat and really long loading time when entering towns/villagers.

But yeah, this showcase shows us probably the next gen of sandbox games.

Before trying to answer to your question, you first need to understand how BL is populating the in-game scenes.
When you enter a scene, the game is creating "agents" (the bots) to interact with.
  • Those who are created based on "permanent" characters (unique ID): the main character, notables, Ladies and Lords, companions etc.
  • Those randomly created to make the scene more alive: villagers, traders, townfolks, thugs, chickens, sheeps...
The game may remember about those random NPC's only if they have an unique ID (not the case for villagers).
Which means that every time you speak to a villager (like in this showcase) and that ChatGPT starts to generate some "unique" background, the game will have to create a new "permanent" character with an unique ID. In addition to the appearance, culture etc... the generated background (only keywords maybe) will then be recorded and linked with that new "permanent" character ID.
Looks good so far but if there is no limit set and you start to speak with every single random villagers and townfolks in every villages and towns, you will end up with an impressive save bloat and really long loading time when entering towns/villagers.

This doesn't have to be the case, NPCs can be generated from noise instead of truly random, and then the engine needs only the seed to remember all the generated details. This is already the case with generic party troops, your regular soldier stacks will always have the same face and equipment despite being randomly generated from the troop recipe.

Great work from Bloc, this is cool and a little terrifying.

This doesn't have to be the case, NPCs can be generated from noise instead of truly random, and then the engine needs only the seed to remember all the generated details. This is already the case with generic party troops, your regular soldier stacks will always have the same face and equipment despite being randomly generated from the troop recipe.

Great work from Bloc, this is cool and a little terrifying.
In case of generic party troops for sure. As it doesn't really matter how they look like. The game is using body templates, specified for each character troops as well.
But here we need to keep track of everything so the player sees the exact same NPC (like gang leaders etc...) with the same background story.
It can be recorded in form of seeds, but you still need an unique ID to compile all those characteristics back together.

How practical is this AI for generating more npc dialogues? I don't mean dynamic on-the-fly conversations like in the video, but the canned dialogues. Can you train the AI to provide its responses in properly formatted Bannerlord code and then have it generate like 100 different greetings for every different situation which can then just be pasted it into the code? It seems like this AI would be great at generating complex branching conversations that would be a nightmare for human writers to keep track of.

is bloc some secret genius how tf does he do this stuff in a few days
hqdefault.jpg

It's mind blowing stuff it real is.

Is it possible to you ChatGPT to update dead mods for both Bannerlord and Warband? It seems like it can help to solve problems with mod development. Broken mods can be fixed if what I have seen of ChatGPT's ability to fix code. It could do a lot of grunt work to speed up things.

Logged back in just to acknowledge yet another massive Bloc win.

He cannot keep getting away with this, he is an absolute madman and if we do not stop him now we will forever see better versions of bannerlord than we could hope to have

Buddy O mine been raving about this AI helping him create a whole new AI in Arma 3 from its native SQF language to C++ in what he's declaring as "record speed" -like having 3 highly literate programming coders under him -and this guy is already at genius level coding

Back
Top Bottom