Future features/suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

I mean, in real life metal don't stay that shiny for long, no matter how well you polish it Wink Especially in that period, when stainless steel was yet to come. Mr. Green

I think that's just the engine. If you play with high texture resolution, pixel shaders, bump-mapping, all that jazz, the armors will be shiny.

I don't have to worry about that on my rig though. Dull gray at it's finest!  :razz:

Duh, I guess you are right. I've recently upgraded my old, steam powered pc and then started playing this mod, so probably that's the reason. :???:

Maan --
Welcome to the mod, and glad the buildings actually look a bit like Italy! I've never actually been to Sicily (although that will be rectified in a month or two, if I can help it) so I was pretty much going on photos and conjecture. The door is actually from Morocco, according to the texture bank from which I downloaded it. I was hoping that it would give the buildings something of a North African look, and had no idea that a similar design might still be in use.

For the player to sometimes get stuck with a financial drag of a village is to some extent intended. I want the system to create a natural antagonism between the player and his lord, and between the player and his tenants. However, I realize that it can be frustrating, particularly when all the player's options -- such as squeezing the tenants, or investing in infrastructure -- haven't been implemented yet. Keep in mind though that the penalties for not being able to pay your dues are fairly mild. You'll just annoy your lord a bit.

Likewise the issue of managing your estates directly. I want to give the player a sense that when he's away at the wars, things will start to fall apart at home. I intend to implement a feature wherein villages generate local disputes -- either internally between villagers, or with the neighboring village -- that a player has to sort out from time to time, or they will fester and cause unrest. But again, the penalty for ignoring them will not be that great.

The feudal levy system was supposed to allow the player to have bases. It was actually quite difficult for medieval potentates to get troops to hang around in a place where they could easily be levied. Hence, the system of settling mercenaries.

Btw, any feudal troops that you disband, or mercenaries that you settle, will usually be ready for service again in a few days. The math is as follows: troops that are disbanded are added to a village "reserve." If the number of troops in the village is less than a pre-determined fraction of the reserve, then the troops will slowly move from the reserve to the village. Ie, if your reserve for Village X is 30 Lombard foot, then the number of troops in the village will slowly increase to one third of that total, which is 10. At least, that's how I recall it works....

It would make sense to allow a lord to store equipment in the village, however.

Some of the Arab armours could be toned down a bit. The snow-white arrows, btw, are only snow-white when they smack into a shield. That's actually a problem with the shield models being made of two separate meshes, as I understand it.

Nikephoros --
It would be great to see your shield textures, if you're able to upload them anywhere.

Lectus --
I do plan to have more things for neutral characters to do -- develop trading ties with merchants, own ships, associate with futuwwa lodges (pseudo-criminal cartels) in the cities... However, there are a few more things I need to do with the feudal system beforehand.

Totalcommander --
Grunwalder and Haupper are right. Not being able to promote your peasants was a design decision. Basically, all they want is to get back to the fields before their families go hungry. The occasional villager with an interest in learning to be a professional soldier are represented by the Sicilian recruits that you can hire two or three at a time. I could allow the player to conscript peasants at a cost of lost agricultural production, but I decided against it for a couple of reasons -- 1) as far as I know, it wasn't particularly common during the Sicilian campaign, 2) it could unbalance the game by giving the player a large source of extra manpower, and 3) players might end up crippling their estates by using it incorrectly.

Re recruiting prisoners, as Maan points out, Muslims and Christians certainly fought on both sides of the period's "holy" wars (El Cid being a prime example, as were the Hauteville's Arab troops). I'm not sure how realistic it would be to recruit directly from the prisoners you've just captured in a battle. More likely, you'd try to ransom them. Medieval Spain actually had semi-professional ransom brokers. I should probably implement those first before moving on to prisoner recruiting.

nijis said:
glad the buildings actually look a bit like Italy! I've never actually been to Sicily (although that will be rectified in a month or two, if I can help it) so I was pretty much going on photos and conjecture. The door is actually from Morocco, according to the texture bank from which I downloaded it. I was hoping that it would give the buildings something of a North African look, and had no idea that a similar design might still be in use.
Well, you see, Arabian and North African culture had its share of influence in Italy, especially in the south. Architecture, art, language, even cuisine, have been influenced by the Arabian presence (even in the north, thanks to trading; just take a look at some buildings in Venice); I think most Mediterranean regions are somewhat similar, anyway, from Northern Africa to Italy, to Spain...

nijis said:
For the player to sometimes get stuck with a financial drag of a village is to some extent intended. I want the system to create a natural antagonism between the player and his lord, and between the player and his tenants. However, I realize that it can be frustrating, particularly when all the player's options -- such as squeezing the tenants, or investing in infrastructure -- haven't been implemented yet. Keep in mind though that the penalties for not being able to pay your dues are fairly mild. You'll just annoy your lord a bit.

Likewise the issue of managing your estates directly. I want to give the player a sense that when he's away at the wars, things will start to fall apart at home. I intend to implement a feature wherein villages generate local disputes -- either internally between villagers, or with the neighboring village -- that a player has to sort out from time to time, or they will fester and cause unrest. But again, the penalty for ignoring them will not be that great.
Somehow, I suspected it was intentional. Is quite realistic, btw. :wink:

nijis said:
The feudal levy system was supposed to allow the player to have bases. It was actually quite difficult for medieval potentates to get troops to hang around in a place where they could easily be levied. Hence, the system of settling mercenaries.

Btw, any feudal troops that you disband, or mercenaries that you settle, will usually be ready for service again in a few days. The math is as follows: troops that are disbanded are added to a village "reserve." If the number of troops in the village is less than a pre-determined fraction of the reserve, then the troops will slowly move from the reserve to the village. Ie, if your reserve for Village X is 30 Lombard foot, then the number of troops in the village will slowly increase to one third of that total, which is 10. At least, that's how I recall it works....

It would make sense to allow a lord to store equipment in the village, however.
I have to say, the system works fine once you get the hang of it...
Once I understood I couldn't play the same way I did in the vanilla game (using only mounted troops, and leaving the other types in a castle, using them only when needed), i switched to a more... historically accurate strategy :razz: That is, know I have a party of 30 or so knights; they are good for looting villages, raiding caravans, intercepting enemy parties (even a siege party is easy to crush, when you catch it in the open with a force of knights). When I want to siege, I use the levy system to strengthen my party with some sword fodder :razz:
One thing I have noticed, though: Norman Household Knights cost 91 per week, against 39 of a "normal" Landless Knight; still, after a lot of battles, Household Knights seem to be no stroger than the regular ones. At least, they doesn't seem to be so much stronger to justify their wages; right now I'm just giving them to city garrison, keeping only landless knights in my party :razz:

A thing I have noticed with caravans, btw:
When I rob them as an "indipendent" (not joined a faction), they give up quite easily: with just a dozen knights in the party the caravan will surrender and give you its goods. But after I joined a faction, enemy caravans *never* accept to hand over their goods: they always fight! Ok, they might hate you because now you are a declared enemy; but still... 10 footmen + a caravan master against 40 Norman Knights? Sounds like a suicide :razz:

nijis said:
Not being able to promote your peasants was a design decision.
I think that's quite accurate.
Of course, feudal lords needed manpower for their armies, but I think that's well reflected in the option for hiring peasants as recruits in the villages: as I see it, it represents you going in the villages, selecting young, fit and somewhat adventurous peasants who prefer the risks of warfare to being a farmer for all life :wink:

nijis said:
Re recruiting prisoners, as Maan points out, Muslims and Christians certainly fought on both sides of the period's "holy" wars (El Cid being a prime example, as were the Hauteville's Arab troops). I'm not sure how realistic it would be to recruit directly from the prisoners you've just captured in a battle. More likely, you'd try to ransom them. Medieval Spain actually had semi-professional ransom brokers. I should probably implement those first before moving on to prisoner recruiting.
That's something I had in mind to propose for the vanilla game.
It could be just a change of the slave merchant. Right now, he buys any prisoner for the same price; more realistically, he could offer different prices based on the troop you captured. A knight could be worth more, because his lord would be willing to ransom him (such a highly trained warrior would be very valuable); a simple peasant would probably not be worth ransoming, but still be worth something as a slave.

I've heard that you can modify skeletons and hitboxes in the next version of MaB so maybe, in the next version of the mod, you could add hunting as a way to spend time with the other nobles in your own faction, if you yourself are a noble that is. It would be an activity like having a meal with another lord, just that it would be like a battle and your enemies would be animals like wild boar running about the map. And they could fight back, their tusks being quite dangerous. Besides, what are Boar Spears for, if not for hunting boars?

And perhaps you could make a version with optional RCM? I know I would love it, and I know a lot of other people would love it as well.

Sieging Raghus with a full inventory made me think that, well, at a certain stage, being able to use your troops to run some errands would be pretty good.

You could trust a horseman with some of your looted merchandise, ordering him to go to the closest city and sell it.
Obviously, there would be a chance that this courrier will run with the stuff and disappear in thin air  :mrgreen:
chance adjusted by your personality\leadership.

Or maybe just make that after you reach X reknown (400?500?600?700?), your faction leader will offer you a special npc ("the attendant"), that would be like the assistant, but useless in fights: he'd run with his coursier to send messages, sell stuff, helping to those little problems involving your troops and other lords' sheeps  :roll:, or go to your vilalge and ask for tribute.

Since you'll get the attendand after a while, and since there will be only one, i don't think it would comprimise the balance too much.

Though maybe the coding will compromise your mental healt  :mrgreen:

When a village rebels, it could ask the aid of the lord of a nearby village, even if said lord is from another faction, also, villages near your lands could tell you they are about to rebel and ask your help.

Please give the players the option to have sieges in waves, even puting every graphic thing in the lowest I have horrible lag in siege battles. Please give us the options to battle sieges in waves as in a normal battle.

Hope your travel is going (went?) well and that you had great fun!

I like the attendant idea as well, but he/she shouldn't require so much renown. It could be a normal runner boy/girl/lad/whatever it's called. You do not have to defeat 5 Lombard war parties before being able to buy someone like that!  :eek:

Servitor

After having tried the Pirate mod, I have to say it'd be very cool to have some ships along the coast. Not much: some merchant vessels, raiders and sometimes a bigger flotilla. Would you be able to add them?

Actually, I had chosen Sicily as a setting in part because the campaigns there had a strong naval element -- the sieges of Palermo, Syracuse and Bari (off-map, versus the Byzantines) all involved massive battles near the harbor, as I recall to prevent the defenders from resupplying.

I had this as a set-piece mini-battle in the .2 version of the mod. The ships were static, however, rather than animated.

navalscreenshot.jpg

The actual ships involved in and around Sicily btw were mostly galleys, such as the Byzantine dromon. Will try to post a pic.

I was thinking of trying a similar approach to the battles as Pirates of Calradia, which has done a really great job experimenting with moving ships. However, I also want to try to implement some features on the world map, like wind direction, rower fatigue, and a few other factors. Ideally a naval chase should offer the player some scope for decision-making, taking into consideration his own ship's characteristics compared to the enemy's. I'm not sure how easy this will be to script, but I hope to give it a try at some point.

Ah damn I shall never get over this. Everytime I am here I get this chest hurt, around my heart because I can't play this mod.  :mad: 0.808 Doesn't seem to work on Quad-Cores (64 Bit anyway).  Bah, no TLD, no BfS, no nothing!!  :mad:

Dynamic towns?  :???: Could you elaborate as to what you mean with that?

How would the marrage, and carreer path work, and when you rebellon again or lord can uspuper his offices of rule?

Back
Top Bottom