- Best answers
After spending 4.5 years improving Full Invasion 2, the team responsible for Full Invasion 2: Amber, Full Invasion 2: Amber 2.0, and Full Invasion: Osiris is planning to bring the Invasion experience to Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord with Full Invasion 3!
While making previous versions of the mod, we were always severely restricted by what was possible within Warband. Especially Osiris, for which we started over from scratch, ran into a lot of issues with Warband's boundaries, restricting us to a smaller set of factions, a limited amount of bots, design limitations, and more such issues. The way things are looking, Bannerlord will allow us to really get our creative juices flowing, so we have some rather radical ideas, which I'll explain further in this post! I'll start with the headlines:
- Two gamemodes rather than one: Siege and Survival. While Survival plays much like the tried and tested Full Invasion experience, Siege offers more of a mix between the standard siege mode, that sees players cooperate against a continuous assault of bots trying to capture a defended location with siege equipment.
- Return of the equipment system without gold: players will be able to pick their own equipment with a set budget, and can unlock stronger classes either individually or as a team.
- Individual skills: players can improve their weapon skills, much like in singleplayer, by fighting bots or helping the team. Better skills allow players to unlock stronger classes, and improve their performance on the field.
- Hero classes return: divided among the tiers of troops, heroes are a different way of playing that focus more on excelling at certain skills without being able to improve them.
- Defender faction-less servers: Servers only choose the gamemode, map, and invasion. Players can pick classes from any faction to join a server with (and can change while playing). Servers can optionally limit the faction and class selection for immersion/event purposes.
Speaking of "us", the development team for Full Invasion has expanded in preparation of the work on Full Invasion 3! The current team is as follows:
|Borridian||Team lead, scripting lead, all-round mascot|
|Maroon||Team lead, scripting, 3D management, community management|
|Koyaanisqatsi||3D art, map design|
So how do we intend to create this mod? First and foremost, in terms of actual development, there's not much we can do right now. We have the basic design of the mod ready, but we can't implement that without Bannerlord's modding tools. This means that, unfortunately, we can't start actually creating the mod until those tools are released. Therefore we currently do not have any idea how long it will take for this mod to be completed, as we don't even know yet when we can start.
The current next step in our process is deciding what factions to include in the mod. In Full Invasion 2 (Osiris, more specifically), we were limited to factions that had a large amount of variation within them (to keep them interesting for different kinds of players) and had an existing set of assets that we could use, as we didn't have proper 3D artists in the team. Thankfully, neither of those limitations are still a concern for Full Invasion 3 (for the most part). The faction-less server design allows us to implement factions that are much more focused on one particular area, since players are usually not limited to playing as just that faction.
Furthermore, we now have our own 3D artists, so we can even create our own assets! This is a luxury we didn't have in the past, and will allow us much more creative freedom. We still can't create everything ourselves, of course, since that would take years, but this gives us much more room.
So, if you have ideas for factions we should definitely include in the mod, shoot! We can't implement everything and anything, as we still have an idea of the type of factions we want (modern weapons are still an unlikely addition, sorry!), but still.
When will you release the mod?
As we said above: we don't have a release date or anything similar. Until the modding tools release we can't really do significant work on the mod.
Are you looking for more developers?
We are currently quite happy with the team we have, but once the modding tools release we will always certainly need more map creators. Send me a PM on the forums or on Discord if you've got more questions about this.
Are you adding [insert faction here] to the mod?
Faction suggestions are welcome, though we'll likely limit ourselves to factions that more naturally translate to Bannerlord. In other words, anything before WW1 era technology is a lot easier to add than anything more modern.
What will you be able to do in FI3 that you couldn't in FI2?
Bannerlord opens up a lot of possibilities for us that we could not make use of before! For example, we plan to expand the buffs and abilities mechanics that we had in Osiris, to allow them to play a more pivotal role. We'll also (finally!) be able to chance the skeleton that players use. This means players will have access to more outlandish classes, from Hobbits to Demons. With some luck, we'll also be able to tamper with the AI more, to allow the invasion to become more of a challenge because they're smart, rather than just meaty.
How do I keep up with FI3 news?
We'll be posting in this thread anytime something significant happens in Full Invasion's development, and we have a Discord server where the developers are active, so feel free to join that as well!