Resolved Frequent FPS drops

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.6.5.294486
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Unmodded
Summary: I got the following issue for several weeks now, decided to write a post about it since the latest patch did not seem to fix it. For some reason I encounter random FPS drops, no matter if I play skirmish, duel, TDM or siege. I set everything to very low in the settings, normally it shows I have well above 100 FPS. However, this 100+ FPS drops to 20-30ish FPS quite frequently ( I would say like every 3-5 minutes or so) and it stays around this amount for 3-4 seconds, after that it jumps back again to 100+ FPS.
How to Reproduce:
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
GPU Driver Version: 30.0.14.9709
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.2 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Motherboard: Manufacturer: CFL Product: Charmeleon_CFS
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

This has been happening for me as well for the past 2 patches. Before the latest 2 patches the game ran okay. What ever you guys did in the last 2 patches and specifically the patch before the last one, everyone in game started complaining about fps drops and stuttering. I have had the same issue and now it has become even worse. Basically my character looks like it is twitching, or the game feels like it is vibrating, its very weird and disorienting.

To fix this I turned on Vsync. Vsync solved the vibration and stuttering, and made the game look smoother but the underlying issue that is the FPS drops are still here. If the fps does not drop what happens is, when I am fighting an enemy, all of a sudden I end up taking damage and I realize I got slashed but I did not even see it happening.

To help you narrow down the issue, I did not even need to enable Vsync to have the game run smooth for me before. Now I cannot play the game without having the vsync because of constant stuttering it hurts my eyes. (Also with vsync off my FPS is around 80 with vsync full it is never over 60)

The thing is, you have to take back whatever you did to make this game so hard to play. I am active in the multiplayer community and everyone is complaining about the same thing.

The conclusion I came to (with my limited understanding of these things) is that it is happening due to servers. Please fix this. The community is already small, these things are making the people who love this game start hating it.

Last edited:
same problem. I have this computer : https://gyazo.com/51aee87639e641a7b58f422f82bceaae
with this GC: https://gyazo.com/b9fe3e0a7b7806449c119076ec3b10ce
and minimun requeriments are this (which I fulfill in excess) : https://gyazo.com/457ace0922a4ad621d191be85b4473a5

but the game eats all my Ram (having 16 GB and having all performance in very low): https://gyazo.com/f1b0094ad688a6438a441052a9f120d0
all starts good but in the first 5 mins of playing multiplayer, FPS drops hard, and still working bad like if the game was freeze or something. So im really tired, if u cant help me with this i will unistall the game def. cause i having a bad expirience and i dont buy a game for get continous crashes.
thanks taleworlds.

We have a special performance build to check for these issues by collecting telemetry data. With that data, we can see exactly where and when the game's performance issues happened.
  • Switch to “perf_test” from the Steam betas tab. You can also use the "perf_test_beta" for the most current beta build-related issues. You can find more info about it here.
  • Open the game as usual and proceed to the stage where you are experiencing performance issues.
  • Before the performance issues start, toggle the profiling tool by holding the “right shift” and pressing the “T” key.
  • Record for 20-30 seconds, press the toggle key combination again. Please keep in mind that, the more you record, the more upload time it will require.
  • Find the "test.tmcap" file in the "...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client" folder. You can find the "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord" folder inside the games installation folder.
  • Finally, you can send the file to us via the ticketing system. You can find more info about how to upload files to us with the new ticketing system here.
  • It is appreciated if you provide more information about your PC, what you were doing while the game was recording, and your graphics configuration. If the data you are trying to upload is too big or the site fails to upload, you can use an alternative site to upload your data. If you choose to do that please left a reply to this thread with the download link.

We have a special performance build to check for these issues by collecting telemetry data. With that data, we can see exactly where and when the game's performance issues happened.
  • Switch to “perf_test” from the Steam betas tab. You can also use the "perf_test_beta" for the most current beta build-related issues. You can find more info about it here.
  • Open the game as usual and proceed to the stage where you are experiencing performance issues.
  • Before the performance issues start, toggle the profiling tool by holding the “right shift” and pressing the “T” key.
  • Record for 20-30 seconds, press the toggle key combination again. Please keep in mind that, the more you record, the more upload time it will require.
  • Find the "test.tmcap" file in the "...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client" folder. You can find the "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord" folder inside the games installation folder.
  • Finally, you can send the file to us via the ticketing system. You can find more info about how to upload files to us with the new ticketing system here.
  • It is appreciated if you provide more information about your PC, what you were doing while the game was recording, and your graphics configuration. If the data you are trying to upload is too big or the site fails to upload, you can use an alternative site to upload your data. If you choose to do that please left a reply to this thread with the download link.
I am currently testing, but the situation is not as bad during the day. At night times is when it gets especially bad. I will send over the video once I get a good footage of the issue as it appears.

Secondly, while I am on perf_test version of the game, it just kept crashing if I ever did an ALT-TAB while it was searching. At night time even if I did not ALT-TAB it would crash once the game was found. I sent a bunch of crash reports. Here are some (not all) of the crash logs:

2021-12-30_14.22.08_2db60d4e7a86fde874d216bcb4187566

2021-12-30_17.31.15_2db60d4e7a86fde874d216bcb4187566

2021-12-30_17.45.14_2db60d4e7a86fde874d216bcb4187566

2021-12-30_18.32.11_2db60d4e7a86fde874d216bcb4187566

2021-12-30_18.35.46_2db60d4e7a86fde874d216bcb4187566

2021-12-30_19.36.04_2db60d4e7a86fde874d216bcb4187566

Its basically the same thing with different time stamps. I cannot enter any skirmish games anymore because the game crashes so much on this perf_test.

Edit: I was finally able to record the FPS drops in action, intense and at its worst. I am sending them over. Please fix it.

Last edited:
I sent 2 files over to your email with the descriptions and my PC specs.

Got the file, forwarded. Thanks!
Arda, I have been testing around, playing on the same maps at different times of the day, on different settings and on different game modes. I have come to a conclusion. First, let me give you an example, in Siege map that had 120 people, at night time (new years night to be precise) I had no issues at all. I even had 5-10 players in close proximity to me at various times, friendlies and enemies at once, and no issues.

But in Skirmish maps at night times (my guess is when the servers are filled with players) the game's FPS has constant drops, packet losses, and it feels like how a laggy game would feel. Only, my ping seems fine. And, this was happening before the snow covered maps were introduced earlier.

To sum it up, I believe it is a server issue that is somehow affecting Skirmish games, or is affecting Skirmish games more intensively.

The same problem with falling fps. But only in a single player game. Appeared with patch 1.7.0.

Could you check if the hyperthreading option for you is disabled?
Hey, for me hyperthreading is enabled.

I still experience FPS drops, sadly the newest patch have not solved it. I tried to switch to perfomance tests from Steam beta tab, but with the "perf_test - Bannerlord Performance Test" I am put back to version e1.6.5 for some reason and with the "perf_test_beta - Bannerlord Performance Test" I can't logint to multiplayer.

Its not as bad as it used to be for me, but its still there. I still have to turn on vsync to experience the game properly.

I still experience FPS drops, sadly the newest patch have not solved it. I tried to switch to perfomance tests from Steam beta tab, but with the "perf_test - Bannerlord Performance Test" I am put back to version e1.6.5 for some reason and with the "perf_test_beta - Bannerlord Performance Test" I can't logint to multiplayer.
+ I did some trouble shooting and for some reason my GPU is running on 100% while playing Bannerlord, but with other games I do not have this issue.

little update:
I suspected GPU throttle as the reason behind these fps drops, as above 81 Celsius a throttle was iminent which also came with fps drops. For this reason, I managed to undervolt my GPU to get a stable 69 - 70 Celsius.
After this I still encountered fps drops tho, but also started to monitor the CPU temperature, which would reach 85 Celsius that was followed by a CPU throttle, that also came with an fps drop. So I decided to limit my max CPU Peformance from 3.9 - 4 Ghz to 3.1 Ghz to get a constant CPU temperature of 75-76 Celsius.
With these changes, I have an average fps around 75-80ish, but have not encountered any major drop to 20-30 fps in 15 minutes of gameplay.
If my theory is correct, all these fps drops could be a result of overheating in my CPU and GPU, but this I have to test with several hours of gaming in the following weeks to be sure about it.

little update:
I suspected GPU throttle as the reason behind these fps drops, as above 81 Celsius a throttle was iminent which also came with fps drops. For this reason, I managed to undervolt my GPU to get a stable 69 - 70 Celsius.
After this I still encountered fps drops tho, but also started to monitor the CPU temperature, which would reach 85 Celsius that was followed by a CPU throttle, that also came with an fps drop. So I decided to limit my max CPU Peformance from 3.9 - 4 Ghz to 3.1 Ghz to get a constant CPU temperature of 75-76 Celsius.
With these changes, I have an average fps around 75-80ish, but have not encountered any major drop to 20-30 fps in 15 minutes of gameplay.
If my theory is correct, all these fps drops could be a result of overheating in my CPU and GPU, but this I have to test with several hours of gaming in the following weeks to be sure about it.
Good news, and something for other players to look into. There was another thread (link) that was talking about an overuse of CPU and GPU.

Good news, and something for other players to look into. There was another thread (link) that was talking about an overuse of CPU and GPU.
Yeah, I think that was my issue. Yesterday I played around 3-4 hours in the evening and did not get any aformentioned FPS drop with these settings to CPU & GPU (the only huge drop I encountered was at the TDM Nord Town map, in a house with bunch of torches providing light. There I got around 50ish fps, maybe it is location specific or I need to do further tweaking in my laptop. Otherwise, everything ran smooth and I could enjoy the game to its fullest)
Forwarded the info. Thanks!
Marda, I will notify you in case I have further issues with FPS drops, but so far it seems I have managed to get around this issue :smile:

Thanks for the update. Forwarded your findings to the team as well.
MArdA I still have the issues actually, maybe it is a good idea to keep this thread open and not mark it as "Resolved". I will look into the solutions levilop has mentioned, but mine is far from being resolved. I also sent over 2 recordings. Any update on that?

MArdA I still have the issues actually, maybe it is a good idea to keep this thread open and not mark it as "Resolved". I will look into the solutions levilop has mentioned, but mine is far from being resolved. I also sent over 2 recordings. Any update on that?
Could you open a new thread so that we could have a dedicated topic for your issue specifically?

Back
Top Bottom