Freelancer

Users who are viewing this thread

If only your lords give you small quests to do like giving you a small group of soldiers to patrol with, raid a village, or skirmish with bandits.

The mod premise is fantastic in its design and the avenues it opens up for immersive gameplay, but I agree being at the mercy of AI commander long term might be annoying. Seems more helpful in early game just to power up in a better way. Maybe if this request from Jance on AI weighting decisions is approved we might see more clearly long term AI goals, maybe even edit them.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/please-expose-explain-ai-behavior-weight-calculations.444156/

Sorry can't find it at the moment but I'm sure I saw Mexxico explain it in a thread before that it's something like the AI decisions are like a "Leaderboard" with highscores, with every entry gaining or losing priority points based on many variables like distance, army strength, the AI's role (vassal,mercenary etc). Whatever is the highest score is what the agent will travel towards, so different issues like "your fief is being sieged!" or "Herdsmen needs more sheep" have different weighting and that is why we sometimes see those AI armies on campaign map move erratically between objectives.

Would be quite cool to see under the hood on this as I trust modders could have a field day with it, but I'm not sure they would want to expose that function in early access.
@mexxico If you get a minute could you clarify how the AI decision making is currently working in terms of "Issue weighting", deciding where to go and what to do at that moment?

If only your lords give you small quests to do like giving you a small group of soldiers to patrol with, raid a village, or skirmish with bandits.
That would make for an amazing roleplay way of climbing through the ranks.
Becoming such great friends with your lord, you end up being anobled for your loyal service, and eventually become an independant lord with a close ally (your ex-lord).

F for this mod and for my faith in this game.
Oh, I'm referring just of Freelancer. Not a surprise to anyone who reads my posts but I really don't like the BL campaign AI and with Freelancer you're basically along for the ride. I think I spent four hours (maybe five?) playing with the mod and got into about a few dozen battles, most of which I couldn't contribute at all because it was like a full lord's party vs. a dozen bandits and they'd get wiped before I could get there. Then there were a few sieges with me being a tier 1 doofus in a work shirt and carrying farm tools, which ended as well as you could expect.
Yeah Freelancer really shines when:
  1. You use RBM and DRM so armies are historically-accurate + sensible (and being a spear + board peasant isn't the end of the world)
  2. You get the ONLY opportunity in the early-game to level certain noncombat skills like Leadership and Engineering
  3. You join a lord with your culture so you go straight to being a noble recruit and earn PHAT STACKS as you graduate to being an elite soldier
That would make for an amazing roleplay way of climbing through the ranks.
@Bloc laid out some really great ideas about expanding it in the future. It would have been pretty cool, I'm sure.

Buuuuuut...

The freelancer concept is one of the most boring mod concept. You are just get drag around the map wasting time. There are other feature that ought to be added to Bannerlord of this one. I'm very surprised this mod concept is such a big deal.

so many hypocrites on this thread. I bet most of these people were the ones demanding FreeLancer before it became a mod.

Back
Top Bottom