SP Native Freelancer Mod - Being a Regular Soldier

Users who are viewing this thread

Compatible version
e1.5.9
Bunch of other improvements after 1.0.8.X and also version 1.0.9
  • Version 1.0.9​

• Added "Lifesaver" feature for bodyguarding. Now if you kill enemies around your lord, you will earn 1 relationship point for each person you kill. You need to be in range for this - so you need to be close to him/her. Radius is around two-horse length ( yes, I'm using horses as a measurement unit )
    • Added an indicator for a bodyguarded person. If you press ALT (the same key with how you see other nameplates in cities ) then you will be able to see the exact location of your lord with a highlighted purple contour around him. This makes it easier for you to identify him in night battles - as well as in battles where you are unable to find him because of the obstacles
    • Changed bodyguard system rewards. Now each successful battle you participated in will give you a random amount of relationship with your lord. It can be between 1 and 4. Note: you won't get any if you are fighting with looters/bandits etc
    • Decreased bodyguard penalty for lord getting knocked down to 3
    • Fixed several issues that were causing random behaviour and crash
    • Added Japanese language support
  • Version 1.0.8.6​

• Added notice message for returning the party. Now you will get it in every 2 days.
    • Fixed an issue that was causing you to get captured as well after your party defeated even while you are on leave
    • Fixed an issue that was causing crash for old saves
  • Version 1.0.8.5​

• Now fame has a soft limit of 40. If you are above 40 fame, your fame will still decrease but it will stop decreasing after 40. However, if you are below 40, then it can go all way down to 0. This soft limit only kicks in if you are at the party. ( Will continue to decrease if you are separated from your army )
    • Added Fame bonus to actions. They will increase your fame with +1
    • Fixed an issue that wasn't updating the menu screen right away after the fame/loyalty change. Now it should be in sync.
    • Fixed/Added "days to rejoin" in-game saves. Now you won't lose that data if you save and load it some other day
    • Fixed several other ugly bugs and such. Added some scaffolding code for more actions in the future.
  • Version 1.0.8.3​

• Now, days to rejoin will be calculated based on the possible respawn place distance of the army leader to player location. It should be more than enough in most of the cases
    • Improved reason explanation of why you are not able to join army/party of the lord
    • Now you don't have to switch between menus to see the update. It should happen automatically in each day.
    • Now if you take a leave and come back, you will get your soldiers back ( with new names and such )
    • Fixed an issue that was causing crash after you become a bodyguard and lost the battle
    • Fixed an issue that was causing an unstable state and was enabling deserters to rejoin their lords
    • Fixed an issue that was causing to exploit game mechanics by taking companions' and player's gear
    • Fixed a small bug that was allowing the system to allow the player to buy bandages even when he doesn't have money.
  • Version 1.0.8.2​

• Increased campaign action reward XP's significantly
    • Added passive daily XP earn. Skill will be chosen randomly and you will earn 0 to 50 XP each day randomly
    • Now while you are a bodyguard, you won't lose a relationship when your subject knocked down if you are already knocked down
    • Decreased the reward for honourable discharge to preserve game balance - previously entire equipment was as expensive as a town - which was an exploit and unintended consequence.
    • Fixed an issue that was causing some mods to crash the game while you upgrade to level 6 and going into battle ( hopefully )
    • Fixed an issue that kept asking bodyguard question when you took leave of absence
    • Fixed several issues with Russian and Chinese translations

You can say with your head held high that your Freelancer has far surpassed the Taragoth version (no disrespect). Bloc, thank you for your service to the Community.

You can say with your head held high that your Freelancer has far surpassed the Taragoth version (no disrespect). Bloc, thank you for your service to the Community.
Cheers. That was my initial plan actually - and because of that I was hesitating to name it Freelancer since it's somewhat Freelancer but I had more extensions in mind. But I wanted to go with this name since it's already known and familiar for those who played Warband. I still have ideas - mostly related to adding new scenes ( camp, hunt scene, dark alley etc ) and some models ( deer, bear etc) but to be completely honest modding tools are just a big bulky mess and even removing modding tools is causing issues on the game so I don't want to download it just for scene editing.
I still have bugs to fix anyway

I was refraining from posting in this thread to keep it clean, but since I'm not the only one...
This mod is not a simple addition, it is a pleasant and coherent extension of the core game.
It integrates smoothly the existing mechanics, without modifying or unbalancing anything.
Again, thank you!

You don't have to worry about keeping the thread clean as long as it relates to mod and game I think. I mean, after all, that's the whole point of having a thread about a mod. If you guys have suggestions etc you can simply shoot it from here as well - or bug reports. Although bug reports would make more sense in nexusmods since they have some type of "working" system already.

Thanks very much for the work you've put into this mod! I saw it'd come out, figured it'd be an interesting experience and booted up Bannerlord again, and have had a lot of fun working my way up the ranks of the Battanian armies. I'm glad to see the changes to being a bodyguard, I think that makes them far less punishing. I like the sound of some of the features you've discussed - a scene for the camp sounds interesting, as does the potential for starting a desertion with other troops. I particularly like the option to do something while you're travelling, a great improvement on Warband's Freelancer. If you're taking suggestions, might it be possible to add another option to heal for the wounded? It'd be an interesting way to increase your Medicine, would only be possible when wounded troops are present in the party/army, and could potentially boost or lower loyalty/fame/relations, depending on how successful you were.

If you're taking suggestions, might it be possible to add another option to heal for the wounded? It'd be an interesting way to increase your Medicine, would only be possible when wounded troops are present in the party/army, and could potentially boost or lower loyalty/fame/relations, depending on how successful you were.
Now you said that, I was thinking also it could be more immersive if we could be requested to play a specific role in the party, just like what we can do with the companions.
Once we reach a certain level, we get the choice to become smithy-engineer-surgeon-scout etc and it gives extra xp to the related skill.
I also have some QoL ideas:
  • State of war information.
We don't have access to the "kingdom" tab and it is difficult to understand the current state of war.
An easy solution could be to add a shortcut (on the menu showing our wage and kills) to the encyclopedia page of the kingdom we are fighting for, so we can quickly check who our ennemies are.
  • Lord location indications
Would it be possible to add the estimated location of our party's lord when trying to rejoin him?
Maybe show this information together with the days countdown?
Sometimes the encyclopedia doesn't refresh fast enough and it is difficult to find back the lord in time.

If you're taking suggestions, might it be possible to add another option to heal for the wounded? It'd be an interesting way to increase your Medicine, would only be possible when wounded troops are present in the party/army, and could potentially boost or lower loyalty/fame/relations, depending on how successful you were.
Yeah I can add something like this I think - although I'm not sure if I want to overpopulate this section too much or not. Perhaps I can create a sub-menu section for this purpose but this requires too much refactoring.

We don't have access to the "kingdom" tab and it is difficult to understand the current state of war.
An easy solution could be to add a shortcut (on the menu showing our wage and kills) to the encyclopedia page of the kingdom we are fighting for, so we can quickly check who our ennemies are.
You do have this information actually on "map events". I.e. while besieging etc. But I didn't altered same for normal map events but I will do that eventually. Problem with this was, nameplate backgrounds were stuck at "enemy" state even after you leave the army. Game's event system is not working like this - so I have to implement my own solution

• Lord location indications
Would it be possible to add the estimated location of our party's lord when trying to rejoin him?
Not possible at the moment. You need "party" to indicate where they are on the map and they don't have this. I'm doing this for leave of absence because they have party in that case.
Game's teleportation system is weird anyway - you do see defeated lords in "Ain Baliq" or something just because that is the first one in the settlement list. So it's weird. But even though chasing your lord is painful, I think it's part of the experience and it should be slightly "hard" to return because you have too much to lose and too much to earn

You do have this information actually on "map events". I.e. while besieging etc. But I didn't altered same for normal map events but I will do that eventually. Problem with this was, nameplate backgrounds were stuck at "enemy" state even after you leave the army. Game's event system is not working like this - so I have to implement my own solution
Actually I don't really mind if we don't see all the ennemy parties and settlements turning reds on the map.
But the war and peace announcement in log screen is quickly overwhelmed by other events.
I usually go in encyclopedia to check with who we are at war, so I thought a simple shortcut to the kingdom page (right after the name of the lord we are serving for example) could be already a simple addition.

Not possible at the moment. You need "party" to indicate where they are on the map and they don't have this. I'm doing this for leave of absence because they have party in that case.
Game's teleportation system is weird anyway - you do see defeated lords in "Ain Baliq" or something just because that is the first one in the settlement list. So it's weird. But even though chasing your lord is painful, I think it's part of the experience and it should be slightly "hard" to return because you have too much to lose and too much to earn
Thank you for clarifying that strange thing about "Ain Baliq". I was wondering why my lord was always going there after being defeated :facepalm:
I like the challenge to find back the lord, no problem at all.
I just thought we could get the information about where he was last seen in the days left pop-up screen. So it avoids us having to check every time in encyclopedia.

Oh and maybe you overlooked it, but what about the following idea? It is a variation of what Arcaian suggested.
Once we reach a certain level, we get the choice to become smithy / engineer / surgeon / scout etc and it gives extra xp to the related skill.

I usually go in encyclopedia to check with who we are at war, so I thought a simple shortcut to the kingdom page (right after the name of the lord we are serving for example) could be already a simple addition.
You can click to clan name and then move to Kingdom to see who is at war with who. But I don't think you need to know who you are fighting with as long as your leader doesn't drag you to fight, right? I mean, you are not changing where they are moving - so what's the purpose of knowing this anyway?

Oh and maybe you overlooked it, but what about the following idea? It is a variation of what Arcaian suggested.
You are getting a random XP each day already - I don't think it would make sense to make this selection since you are not like a companion but more like a regular soldier in the army.

You can click to clan name and then move to Kingdom to see who is at war with who. But I don't think you need to know who you are fighting with as long as your leader doesn't drag you to fight, right? I mean, you are not changing where they are moving - so what's the purpose of knowing this anyway?
Well, to give you a concrete example.
Last time I was with Vlandia and we started to besiege a Battanian castle with a 700+ army.
The siege ram was almost done, and we were close to assault.
But suddenly the leader stopped besieging and moved to another target.
I didn't have any clue of the reason of this sudden change, until i checked in the encyclopedia and saw that Vlandia was no more at war with Battania.
As you said we can click trough different tab to reach the encyclopedia, but i thought a direct link should be more convenient.
You are getting a random XP each day already - I don't think it would make sense to make this selection since you are not like a companion but more like a regular soldier in the army.
I was more thinking of this kind of specialization once we reach higher tier level troop. Once we start to be known and become a reliable soldier.
We could be surgeon-smithy-engineer assistant as well :wink:

I didn't have any clue of the reason of this sudden change, until i checked in the encyclopedia and saw that Vlandia was no more at war with Battania.
Yes but still.. since you are unable to say "Hey don't make peace, continue besieging" then it wouldn't make much of a change in your "life" I think. Still I might add this as "You are serving in Vlandian" army where Vlandian will be a link which you can click quickly.

Still I might add this as "You are serving in Vlandian" army where Vlandian will be a link which you can click quickly.
That’s exactly what I was thinking about.
If I may suggest a possible information display.
Current
"You are serving as a regular soldier in this army. Your lord is xx1"
Maybe you could change to
"You are serving in the army of xx1, xx2 of xx3""
xx1 : Lord's name + link to her/his page
xx2 : Lord's title, no link
xx3 : Kingdom + link to the description page
Example with Derthert
"You are serving in the army of Derthert, ruler of Vlandia"
Example with Alary
"You are serving in the army of Alary, vassal of Vlandia"

• Version 1.1.0
    • New Mutiny System: You can now start a mutiny within your party. Your chances of success will be determined based on how many units that party has and how popular you are in that army. Upon success, you will take over the command of some portion of the army and you will seize the war-chest. It's very likely that your leader will not let you take the army without a fight - so prepare yourself for a fight. Your chance will also decide how many people you will draw to your side if a fight breaks out. If you fail, you will become a prisoner, an enemy of state and even might be beheaded. You need at least 50 fame and 50 popularity for starting a mutiny.
    • New Popularity System: Currently only used for mutiny decision - each kill you take and each leader you killed will increase your popularity. Unlike fame, popularity is only tied to the current party and if you leave it completely, then it will reset.
    • New Dialogue Option for Waiting for your Lord: Now if you managed to find your lord but if he/she doesn't have army, you can simply talk to them and they will tell you that you should check back within 7 days. This will add extra 7 days to your timeout and this can be done infinitely until your leader assembles an army.
    • Changed menu and added a direct link to the faction you are in - so that you can simply click to see who is at war with who
    • Official Spanish Translation added - kudos to Mirack

@Spinozart1 this suggestion has been added now - along with other changes.

YeYBE.png
Career Path Update - v1.2.0 - Caravan Guard and Bandit Option

With this update, I'm adding two extra career path opportunities to the game. Now you can choose to guard caravans or decide to become a bandit and do unlawful things. All up to you and your sandbox playstyle.

uESCn.jpg

Caravan Guard Career Path
Now you can guard encountered caravans for a small fee. Unlike normal freelancing, in caravan guarding, you can bring your own troops and companions to the party. However, you should have an empty place at least half of the size of caravan units. ( i.e. if the caravan has 40 units in it, you should have 20 free space ) - because caravan master will give you half of the units in the caravan for making unit control easier for himself. He will pay all the fee in your daily wage + your extra fee as well.

While guarding the caravan, you will earn Trade and Stewardship skills, passively. The amount of the XP you earn will be based on your experience level. Each kill you take and each day you spend while guarding the caravan will contribute to this experience.

While on the road, you can trade with trader within the caravan. And if caravan stops in the city, this option will open town's trader - so that you can do actually trading between the stops and buy new gear if you want. If you captured some prisoners, you can also see those prisoners in the town.

While in town, you can also hire new mercenaries for your crew. Usually, this shouldn't be required but after battles, it's very likely that you will lose some of your soldiers and you need replacement. Another good news is that, if you recruit new people with this option, you won't pay their fees as well and if you leave the caravan you can actually keep them.

Each battle will increase your relationship with the caravan owner. Each week you spend will also increase your relationship with the owner. However, if you leave the caravan without having 50 experience, this will hit your relationship with the caravan owner because you are leaving him out open. All the assigned troops will be given back to the caravan master ( not the ones that you recruited along the way )

Sn3Bd.jpg

Bandit Career Path
When you encountered with bandits ( doesn't matter if they are looter, sea raiders, forest bandits etc ) you will have an option to offer your "services" to them.
Currently, there is no limit to this so they will always accept you. However, this option will only be visible if they catch you - not if you catch them on the battle map ( in other words, you have to be weaker than them in terms of battle strength )

Once you are in - you won't get new gear and you will preserve your current gear. You will also preserve your units as well. Being a bandit isn't easy - and most of the times it's boring ( since the game isn't designed in that way ) hence to spice things up, I added several things.

While fighting with bandits, you will be able to recruit other local bandits. Each day, you will see new recruit availabilities which will be assigned randomly. You can choose to ignore them and the next day you will see other recruits. I'm decreasing their price for this purpose and this price drop is directly related to your banditry fame.

You can sell your prisoners to slave master if you were able to catch some people. Unlike caravan guarding, you don't have to be in the city to do this activity but you need to be close to a city ( although the range is quite big so I don't think this will be an issue )

You can make one time attack each day to locals nearby. This is basically the same as attacking peasants but these peasants won't have any trade intentions but will be local people on that location. Each action you take - each battle will increase your criminal rating with nearby factions.

You will also have the opportunity to sell your junk to a smuggler and you will be able to buy new stuff from a smuggler as well. Unlike a proper trader, a smuggler will bring only the things he could bring - so don't surprise if you don't see anything valuable. However, each day this will be reset and you can see fine armours and stuff in there as well.

Leaving any of these career paths won't reset your experience immediately however they will decrease each day. They are global experiences hence it doesn't matter if you got 50 experience in Aserain caravan and then want to join Khuzait. It will still consider that your old experience is there.

Back
Top Bottom