SP Native Freelancer Mod - Being a Regular Soldier

Users who are viewing this thread

Compatible version
e1.5.9
Holy ****, this sounds fantastic, a massive upgrade when compared to the original freelancer, so many well thought out features, I love the progression stuff you added, very well done.

I might reinstall BL just for this heh, haven't played in like 8 months, been waiting for a more substantial patch.

Cool update man, I have not tried this yet as I also havent played in a long time, but this mod looks to be the one to get me playing again.

On the Caravan Guard career path a suggestion(I havent tried it of course so ignore me if this works differently):
-"He will pay all the fee in your daily wage + your extra fee as well."- part sounds unrealistic to me, and personally I would imagine this would work better through a set fee, like 300 denars a day etc, so your party cant be 60 elite soldiers (men are expensive, merchants cant pay for that many men's salaries) This would also mean that if you think you can defend the caravan with only 5 men, you can do this, and will reap the higher rewards if you succeed as your expenses are low, or be safer and get 30 men and have less reward. Another way to do it is limit the size of the guarding party that the caravan leader is willing to pay for but personally I think that would be a bad system.

Just a thought. Anyway great work, hope to see more additions like this :smile:

-"He will pay all the fee in your daily wage + your extra fee as well."- part sounds unrealistic to me, and personally I would imagine this would work better through a set fee, like 300 denars a day etc, so your party cant be 60 elite soldiers (men are expensive, merchants cant pay for that many men's salaries) This would also mean that if you think you can defend the caravan with only 5 men, you can do this, and will reap the higher rewards if you succeed as your expenses are low, or be safer and get 30 men and have less reward. Another way to do it is limit the size of the guarding party that the caravan leader is willing to pay for but personally I think that would be a bad system.
Well.. You are receiving half of the troops directly once you join to caravan. i.e. if caravan has 40 units, you are getting 20 and you are in charge of this 20. So you usually can't bring too many soldiers with you anyway unless you have a really high clan tier and perk - which defeats the purpose of the feature.
And it wouldn't make sense to pay fees for these soldiers out of your pocket just because you are leading them. So that's why I thought best would be paying all directly + earning slightly less than a regular soldier earns. So that it will push you to do actual trading along the way.

I'm also planning to add something to limit the amount of kg's you can carry. Because right now you can add thousands of kilogram merchandise to your baggage and it wouldn't cost you any speed penalty. Which is quite exploitable as you can see.
I want to bring a system to balance this. x amount of gold per kg, so that you can choose to overload your protected caravan but also have to pay that transportation fee - which can easily go over the budget and cost you more than you earn.

Does this have compatibility with Realistic Combat Mod?

Yes. Might be bold to claim this but it's pretty much compatible with any known mod out there right now. So far I haven't heard any direct clashing/collision issues with other mods.

Although I know that it's double harder to level up with RCM because of the nature of that mod. It's a mighty power, use it wisely.

Yes. Might be bold to claim this but it's pretty much compatible with any known mod out there right now. So far I haven't heard any direct clashing/collision issues with othersmods.

Although I know that it's double harder to level up with RCM because of the nature of that mod. It's a might power, use it wisely.

Cool to know, I'll get the mod now then. Thanks for the quick answer, Bloc! :smile:

The game needs to be more punishing, so I welcome it. :cool:

HOLY ACTUAL F*** @Bloc

When I saw that you were working on resurrecting Freelancer, I was hopeful... I did not expect something this awesome that clearly went further than the original.

YOU ARE AWESOME!

I'm looking at your other mods now and I'm stunned. You've easily accomplished more things that I actually care about than TW has done in the last year.

EDIT: Is this compatible with DRM?

Last edited:
Cheers

EDIT: Is this compatible with DRM?
Answered this in another thread
The problem with De Re Militari is, it's splitting the troop trees and also upgrade paths which against to Bannerlord's unit design.
From Freelancer perspective, I wouldn't say it's a great complement to it, because it's blocking your upgrade path and causing you to stuck in only a single path - which might not be what you are looking for.

I haven't checked how they handled the unit recruitment and stuff but I'm guessing it's causing somewhat issues on that front as well - unless he handled/patched that side exclusively. But I honestly don't see the benefit of separating troop trees in this game. If they were all starting from Peasant class ( as single root ) it would be better off in my opinion.
So answer is no-ish. You can still use it, it won't crash but it will be weird for you to level up

Cheers

Answered this in another thread

So answer is no-ish. You can still use it, it won't crash but it will be weird for you to level up
FYI I installed it and it worked just fine.

I'm not sure if there's a disconnect hopping trees from levy soldier to pro/elite, but I found no problems personally.

To be specific: I started out as a recruit for Rhagea and that was understandably meh. If I recall correctly, I got one promotion and had an option of going Light Infantry or Imperial Crossbowman (both T2 units). Might have been just Light Inf tho.

But after she got whomped in a fight I popped over to the Sultan (char is Aserai) and I was level 5 - so I immediately qualified for Aserai Noble Youth and fairly quickly worked my way up to the top-tier noble troop rank.

I'm not sure if this mod combination allows one Freelancer to hop troop trees from Peasant Levy to Urban Militia or whatnot, but at least those two troop trees (villager & noble) work fine.

Speaking as a completely ignorant non-modder: If your promotion code works by tier rather than by tree, then it should work fine.

Don't get me wrong: the TW AI is still retarded, but the battles make a lot more sense now that practically every line infantryman is carrying a spear and shield + there are clear divisions between village levies vs city levies vs pro soldiers vs nobles.

FYI I installed it and it worked just fine.
Yes, it won't crash and you will still be able to use it. But you will be stuck in one tree.

When you enlisted, I'm assigning you to "Basic Troop" of that kingdom and then your upgrade options are branched out from that unit. Since the original game has only a single root, it's okay to go with this path. However, wIth that mod, it's not possible because he is adding multiple basic troops to separate troop trees. So you will always be stuck on one path. You can never be horseman, for example - according to his troop tree separation.

I will ask him to create a separate optional unit patch where people can use it with Freelancer if they want. With that, they all can start from Peasant as basic and connect to the same root. So if he provides this as an optional patch, then you can use it without any issue

Well, after several hours with the mod (+ RBM) I've been fighting my way up the ranks as a Vlandian lowlife and I gotta say this is one hell of a way to play the game. Just going out and immediately getting men now seems lame in comparison. Thanks again Bloc! :mrgreen:

By the way just sent 1.2.0.3 update
  • Fixed crash issues in 1.5.9 hotfix
  • Fixed issue related to battlefield banner not being visible
  • Fixed an issue related to sergeants
  • Fixed a crash issue that was happening when you marry your army leader
  • Fixed extra fee for baggage which you can already carry yourself - now you will only pay for extra while you are in caravan

So you will always be stuck on one path. You can never be horseman, for example - according to his troop tree separation.
Actually, I can confirm that it's possible to switch from the basic village levy tree to the noble troop tree - even if it might be impossible to switch to the pro soldier or urban levy trees.

So I can either level from Aserai Tribal Levy to Aserai Scout/Light-Infantry/Spearman OR level from Aserai Noble Youth to Aserai Faris etc. but not Aserai Urban Militia or Mameluke.

Not sure how easy it would be, but I'm guessing DRM's modder could patch it such that - for Freelancer purposes - there's an invisible extra set of troop trees which lead from peasant to everything else by tier.

Well, after several hours with the mod (+ RBM) I've been fighting my way up the ranks as a Vlandian lowlife and I gotta say this is one hell of a way to play the game. Just going out and immediately getting men now seems lame in comparison. Thanks again Bloc! :mrgreen:
It's definitely an improvement over the vanilla early game! It's been cool starting out as a nobody and then working up the ranks by charging recklessly into combat against orders to up my kill count (maybe the mod could eventually incentivize other behavior but this works fine now).

Here's a suggestion for @Bloc - how about instead of randomized skill xp for serving in the army, we pick a persistent camp job that gives consistent xp for a selection of themed skills? (this would be on top of the training/hunting/scouting missions).

Even with tweaks from mods like this, the early game is really hurting for XP for noncombat skills other than scouting/stewardship.

For instance, options under "Ask for a different assignment":
Assist in the infirmary: Medicine + Charm + Athletics
Serve as a page for the commander: Leadership + Tactics + Stewardship
Take guard duty: Roguery + One-Handed + Polearm
Assist the quartermaster: Trade + Stewardship + Engineering
Ride with the vanguard: Scouting + Riding + Bow/Throwing/Crossbow

The default job would only train combat skills.

These jobs could be gated behind different service levels, so anyone can help out in the infirmary but you'd have to get to S2 to be trusted with guarding anything important and you'd need to be Noble-ranked to serve as a page and you'd need a horse to ride with the vanguard.

Also, these jobs would be replaced by becoming a bodyguard - which would grant random skills as usual given its exposure to all aspects of army management.

Here's a suggestion for @Bloc - how about instead of randomized skill xp for serving in the army, we pick a persistent camp job that gives consistent xp for a selection of themed skills? (this would be on top of the training/hunting/scouting missions).
Even with tweaks from mods like this, the early game is really hurting for XP for noncombat skills other than scouting/stewardship.

For instance, options under "Ask for a different assignment":
Assist in the infirmary: Medicine + Charm + Athletics
Serve as a page for the commander: Leadership + Tactics + Stewardship
Take guard duty: Roguery + One-Handed + Polearm
Assist the quartermaster: Trade + Stewardship + Engineering
Ride with the vanguard: Scouting + Riding + Bow/Throwing/Crossbow

The default job would only train combat skills.

These jobs could be gated behind different service levels, so anyone can help out in the infirmary but you'd have to get to S2 to be trusted with guarding anything important and you'd need to be Noble-ranked to serve as a page and you'd need a horse to ride with the vanguard.
Yep, I have some plans like this to make "waiting around" more appealing for players.

Yep, I have some plans like this to make "waiting around" more appealing for players.
Well let me know if you need a writer - my penchant for unhinged ranting on fora aside, I happen to be an actual professional full-time writer. Also happy to be someone to bounce ideas off of.

No preshes tho.

Well let me know if you need a writer - my penchant for unhinged ranting on fora aside, I happen to be an actual professional full-time writer. Also happy to be someone to bounce ideas off of.
I'm simply planning a role picker and giving XP's based on those roles. Some roles will be disabled based on certain values. Nothing too fancy - but feel free to shoot ideas and such

The author also has another mod he made first that follows the same principle of De Re Militari but keeps the vanilla one common and one noble tree, it's very good but sadly he hasn't updated it in a good while since releasing DRM
We had a small chat with him yesterday, he agreed to take a look and provide a small optional patch for Freelancer when he can. I'm replying to your message here because it's no longer related to the previous thread I think.

Back
Top Bottom