[Free Software] Awesome Bump

Users who are viewing this thread

• Found this gem few days ago after getting familiar with the PBR technique. This is a must have if you don't have a commercial equivalent. Full PBR ready!
    AwesomeBump 4.0 is a free and open source program designed to generate normal, height, specular or ambient occlusion, roughness and metallic textures from a single image. Since the image processing is done in 99% on GPU  the program runs very fast and all the parameters can be changed in real time. AB was made to be a new alternative to known gimp plugin called Insane Bump. Since version 3.0 AB is supporting PBR shading model which makes this software more Awesome! Since 4.0 Grunge maps are available.

AwesomeBump is totaly written in Qt thus you don’t need to install any aditionall libraries. Just download and install Qt SDK, download the project from the repository, build and run. It will work (or should) on any platform supported by Qt.
    If you're familiar with quixels Ndo2, or Crazy bump, consider this as an amazing free alternative. Though the UI still leaves something to be hoped for, it exceeds itself with its rich features. It's lightweight, fast, see you're results in realtime, and as they mentioned themselves, there are tons of paremeters you can play around with to get your desired results, if you decide to do so.

screen2-1024x540.jpg

convert from normal map to height map,
        convert from height map (bump map) to normal map,
        extract the bump from the arbitrary image,
        calculate ambient occlusion and specularity of image.
        perspective tranformation of the image,
        creating seamless texture (simple linear filter, random mode, or mirror filter),
        generate roughness and metallic textures (different types of surface analysis are available),
        real time tessellation is available,
        saving images to following formats: PNG, JPG,BMP,TGA
        edit one texture which contains different materials
        add some grunge to your map with grunge texture.
        mix two bumpmaps togheter with normal map mixer.
        and many others, see our videos on YouTube

Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://awesomebump.besaba.com/downloads/

HarryPham123 said:
are there any tutorial to show how to use it  :?: :?:

There are some videos on the developer's Youtube page from what I see in a quick skim, so you may have luck there.

Is there any advantage this has over creating a high poly model and baking out the details?
None the less I think I could use this for certain assets such as buildings, which I don't want to be bothered making a high poly for.

If I hadn't gone ahead and bought Quixel, I'd be all over this. Quixel has definitely been worth every penny, but this looks like a really good alternative if you're looking for free software!

Druidic said:
HarryPham123 said:
are there any tutorial to show how to use it  :?: :?:

There are some videos on the developer's Youtube page from what I see in a quick skim, so you may have luck there.
It's pretty straightforwad as what comes to the basics after you've taken a look at all the necessary tabs. However, as mentioned above, there are tutorials on youtube/their web page on how to use the program itself. I can help out a bit if you're in need of help.

TheWarArmoury said:
Is there any advantage this has over creating a high poly model and baking out the details?
None the less I think I could use this for certain assets such as buildings, which I don't want to be bothered making a high poly for.

Mainly for efficiency if you're not creating textures from a high poly bake, or if you're using real life textures, e.g; Concrete, Bricks, leaves and want to create a pbr ready setup.

Mandible said:
If I hadn't gone ahead and bought Quixel, I'd be all over this. Quixel has definitely been worth every penny, but this looks like a really good alternative if you're looking for free software!

Pretty much this! I was low on money and was still in need for an alternative. This program fills the slot amazingly well, best of all, for free.

Well appearantly, 5.0 was released this year, though it isn't linked in their web page.

https://github.com/kmkolasinski/AwesomeBump

There is the link. Ill be testing it out shortly.

I solved the 4K issue by tweaking .config file.

If you are also having trouble with 4K screen or high DPI's, all you need to do is going Configs folder, opening 39_window1.ini and adding this to end of the file and save
Code:
[Platforms]
WindowsArguments = dpiawareness=0
And it works like charm after that
d5ePV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom