Free Napoleonic-era College Course.

Users who are viewing this thread

In case anyone is interested.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/wellington-and-waterloo

The only charge would be for a certificate of completion if you really, really want one.

From the site (so you don't have to follow the link unless you're really interested):

Forming a coalition to defeat Napoleon

"We will explain why Europe had been at war almost continuously since 1793; how a peace settlement in 1814 had followed the abdication of Napoleon as Emperor of the French; and how further negotiations were under way at the Congress of Vienna when Napoleon escaped from Elba in February 1815.

The process of gathering military support and a legal basis for a further campaign against Napoleon will be explored, as well as the ways in which a coalition of Allied Powers assembled an army, led by the Duke of Wellington, to fight the French.

We will examine sources from the Battle of Waterloo itself — from official despatches to the voice of the individual soldier — and consider the ways in which different interpretations arise, before discussing the immediate consequences of the battle and the peace settlement that followed.

The course will conclude by examining the longer-term place of Waterloo and Wellington in commemoration and memory, the arts and popular culture, and the connections that were made to nineteenth-century ideas of heroism, nationality and identity."

Waste of time. Seems to me like they'll drive the narrative that Napoleon was Hitler 0.5 and the allies had to band together to stop him from destroying the world.

Do your own research, that way you have complete control over the material you read and can decide what is objective and what is biased garbage.

I'd rather undertake a class than simply read a book since simply reading a book never forces you to defend your opinion.  Not to mention people tend only to read books that they already agree with (by reading the back cover or synopsis or whatnot).  So the "just read books" philosophy is flawed in at least those two regards, which does not make your opinion on the subject matter or the class itself wrong.

Do you have any suggestions for accompanying material?

I'm quite certain a few people in the sub-forum posted quite a few recomendations for good books on Napoleonic times. Probably buried in the original thread.

Don't have time to go searching for it now. Dig around a bit.

i liked chundler, even though british. brits get a little
touchy on the napoleonic subject.
i am looking a lot in amazon for napoleonic books, just before you
decide to buy a book read some reviews. you can find anything there.

just something that jumps in my mind: as france and napoleon were defeated, it is sure that
the dominating opinion will be possitive on the allied perspective. take that in mind, and add to that
the french revolution had just ended.

Seems to be worth a shot. It's good to know all aspects and sides of history, even if some are utter modernistic hogwash.

Fair enough, I suppose I'll try to dig through some of the posts and find some.

I mostly interested in the individual soldier's accounts, of which i hope they include some from both sides, not just the British.  Leaders tend to have no idea what fighting a war is really like.

a classic (biography) of a soldier who served in the imperial guard is: 

"captain coignet" or "capitaine coignet"

i'd recommend it, though that guy was not the typical soldier of the era, but a die-hard veteran.

Well that seems like a good source to try to counter any pro-British sentiments that may exist in the class once it starts.  Thank you Sifis.

"The Longest Afternoon" by Brendan Simms is pretty fun. It focuses on the King's German Legion and La Haye Sainte during Waterloo, all soldiers' accounts of the battle.

How coincidental, just yesterday I was doing some research and ended up focused on the King's German Legion.  I'll have to add that one to my read list, even if it's for purely personal interest. Thank you.

RanGer_SLO said:
Waste of time. Seems to me like they'll drive the narrative that Napoleon was Hitler 0.5 and the allies had to band together to stop him from destroying the world.

Do your own research, that way you have complete control over the material you read and can decide what is objective and what is biased garbage.

I really want to start my own research, I just don't know where to start. Please enlightenme:

Where can I start my own research?

i'm not someone who has thoroughly studied the napoleonic era.
but my advice would be to start with the revolution.
other than that, i often take books on amazon. look at the critics received on the amazon.
then if you like a book, make a quick search on the internet.

i'm sure somebody will post more usefull things.

And it really depends on what part of the era truly interest you.  Even then, despite whatever your initial interest is, it's likely to cross-over into one of the many other fields.  Political considerations, social-economic causes and consequences, even flat military interest, it was one of the most complicated periods in Europe (not that Europe has ever been simple, or anywhere else for that matter) and every single aspect of the period is tangled with every other.

While I am still an advocate of the guided research of a classroom setting, especially for an initial look into the era, I understand the hesitation.  However, I would be careful when going just the book route because the era has attracted quite a bit of Francophiles, and you're not exactly going to get an even or fair interpretation of anything with anyone so unhesitatingly biased in any direction, much less that one.

So, in short, I would say, if you can define your initial interest in the period more you may get better suggestions.

That, and several links posted by others in support of my own pursuit may be valuable to you.

Back
Top Bottom