Free Games - Recomendations and updates galore

Users who are viewing this thread

Trooper5445

Master Knight
Info

This is just the original games posted on the list. Over the next day I'll update and play all the new ones. As I do so I'll write a quick blurb on them and assign them Symbols and the like. Feel free to request an addition or say you think something deserves a symbol. I haven't played all of these.

* - Trooper's Pick - My personal recommendation
+ - Popular - There is a large community based around this with a lot of players
@ - Classic - One of those games you just think of when you think of the genre, or that really set the current form of the genre in motion.

Games

Post '95

Action

+WarRock - Free FPS with a rent RPG system for equipment.
http://jet.ro/dismount/
+@Little fighter 2 - A free beat-em-up. A casual game that can be good to kill time.
+Gunz Online - 3rd person FPS but with melee actions. IJJI.
Free racing games
Star Wars series - freeware space sim/action games
+@Starsiege: Tribes - Multiplayer sci-fi 3D shoot-em-up
Death Illustrated - freeware black&white doom-clone
@MDK - classic 3D FPS. One of the first of its kind. Enjoyable but a little dated.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory  - Its online, it's small and it's reasonably fun.
Marathon 1 - 3D sci-fi shooter
Alliegeance - 3D multi-player space flight/combat simulator
@Grand Theft Auto 2 - 2D action/crime game
*+Soldat - freeware multi-player side-scroller shoot-em-up (similar to Worms)
+America's Army - Not as tactical as it might have you believe. Can be very frustrating.
Cube - freeware 3D shooter
Darkseed - 1st person supernatural/horror adventure game
Flight Unlimited - flight simulation (this is number 3, I remember 2 was freeware at underdogs)
KKrieger - 1st person 3D shooter which uses procedural generation techniques NOTE: Doesn't work on Vista
Nexuiz - freeware 3D deathmatch game
Ignition! - simple 3D racing game, six races and six vehicles to choose from
Savage 2 - Action/MMO mix.
Claw a.k.a Captain Claw (1997) - a great pirate tale, well done cutscenes, voice acting (Not Me)
Adventures of Lomax (1996) - spin-off from Lemmings series, the first game played on my computer (Not me)

Strategy

Glest - Freeware RTS with an wealth of minor mods available.
*+@Project Xenocide - X-com series remake/expansion
Goliath Game - team-based post-apocalyptic game (tech demo)
*+@Battle for Wesnoth - A hex based strategy game with a good modding community
WW2 - hex-based tactical game
MBT - hex-based tactical game
*+@UFO: Alien Invasion - freeware remake of X-Com with the Quake2 engine
*+@Scorched Earth 3D - 3D multiplayer remake of the classic
*+@Freecol - Remake of the original, an excellent if slightly buggy game.
Dungeon Digger

RPG

http://www.knightonlineworld.com/ - free mmo
http://www.sky-raiders.com/ - free mmo
http://www.projectentropia.com - free mmo
*+@Star Control 2 (Ur-Quan Masters remake)
Prelude to Darkness - Indie isometric mystery/RPG - free final version to be released soon

Other

Flight Gear - freeware open-source flight simulator
Far Colony - freeware open-source space colonization
*+Dwarf Fortress - A deep simulation of maintaining of small outpost of dwarfs. Text based graphics with optional graphic tilesets.
Orbiter - Freeware space simulator. Rather complex it would seem.

Abandonware

Strategy

@NetStorm: Island at war - classic multiplayer real-time strategy game
@Ghengis Khan 2 - similar game by the same company

Action

RPG

+Little Big Adventure 2 - classic third-person adventure game in sci-fi setting - [LBA1 is here]
Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail - party-based adventure/RPG in fantasy setting
@TSR collection of AD&D role-playing games - almost all can be found on that websit

Other

*+@Monkey Island Series - adventure / games 1 and 2 can be found here

Sites

Abandonware

http://www.the-underdogs.info/ - One of the top sites and always legal
www.holyfile.com -
www.Gamehippo.com -
www.Reloaded.org - My personal favorite site, well organized always legal.

Newer

www.liberatedgames.com - Mostly abandonware that has been officially legally freed
www.megagames.com/ - Standard Freeware like things

phbbbt107 said:
How could Dwarf Fortress possibly not be on there?
I beg your pardon, but what all the fuss 'bout DF due to?
I mean, the learning curve must be of days and it seems everything but exciting.

Trooper5445 said:
It's one of the best games ever.
Send me a good vid of vid and I might change my mind. The interface is so confusing...

All in all, we know a game is not all graphics, but Dwarf Fortress makes even Tibia look amazing... and yet, it was made in Paint.

pedrodiniz92 said:
Trooper5445 said:
Send me a good vid of vid and I might change my mind. The interface is so confusing...

All in all, we know a game is not all graphics, but Dwarf Fortress makes even Tibia look amazing... and yet, it was made in Paint.

First off find a good tileset (I use Mike Maydays pack (but patched up for 40C)

Also, read a couple community games/succession games (BOATMURDERED)

Next, Keep trying.

When I first started It took like 10 tries of "Ok lets try it... aww this sucks... damn it Im gonna try it..." Etc etc.  Till I finally fell into it.  It soon became the most epic game I've ever played.

Rilder said:
pedrodiniz92 said:
Trooper5445 said:

First off find a good tileset (I use Mike Maydays pack (but patched up for 40C)

Also, read a couple community games/succession games (BOATMURDERED)

Next, Keep trying.

When I first started It took like 10 tries of "Ok lets try it... aww this sucks... damn it Im gonna try it..." Etc etc.  Till I finally fell into it.  It soon became the most epic game I've ever played.
You guys love it so much that i ought to give it a try.

There's no combat in it, is there?

Yes there is. There is nothing better than killing a goblin baby then throwing it at the parent to kill the parent.

Getting into DF is like smashing through a wall. But once you smash through, you're in.

Dwarf fortress is like the borg collective, you resist every attempt at being assimulated but once you are assimulated it takes a sex change operation, a catsuit, and Captain Kathryn Janeway to break free.

There is little to no point in having an opinion of a game that you've never played. It seemed the same way to me, but now I'm hooked on it.

pedrodiniz92 said:
There's no combat in it, is there?
Yes, just like there's no combat in Rambo 3.

:razz:

Well, to specify exactly what kind of combat there is without the jokes:

Massive sieges which you have to defend against.
Fend off megabeasts that crush anything in their path.
Gore galore - have your troops lose limbs left and right and then forever be crippled by it (actually, I doubt that losing a finger or so does too much in the end, but an arm or leg however).
Legendary soldiers that will slaughter themselves through armies - albeit versus megabeasts the fight will most likely be in the favor of the beast :razz:
Carps. Oh god, carps!
Elaborated trap systems (seriously, your imagination is probably the limit here when it comes to designing a trap beyond the basic ones).
Hilarious moments when one of your dwarfs goes nutty and kills off 10 of his kin before being struck down by a kitten.

And so on and so forth.

TA: Spring for Strategy games. Could possibly be called a classic too, though it is only a recreation of a classic RTS, not the original version. Still has an active online community.

BTW, it seems to me that most of you seem to play it in the management mode, but how is the adventure mode?

Adventure mode is more or less like a more brutal, open roguelike, with little to no dungeon crawling if you so choose.

It's much more than that, but I think you should find out the rest yourself.

Cymro said:
There is little to no point in having an opinion of a game that you've never played. It seemed the same way to me, but now I'm hooked on it.
The fact is, i have played it, or at least tried to.

Worbah said:
BTW, it seems to me that most of you seem to play it in the management mode, but how is the adventure mode?

You strike the giant in the head with his severed right arm, It is broken!

Back
Top Bottom