SP - General Founding your OWN kingdom

Users who are viewing this thread

This isnt about rome at all or a history lesson.
Then why do you keep talking about "realism" in your posts? It is fine if you think it is immersion breaking but that's separate from what is realistic or historical.

Anyway, the only way to keep defector lords using primarily their native culture troops is auto-regenerating troops like minor factions do. Otherwise, they are restricted to what they can recruit from towns and villages, like the player. So if a Sturgian lord leaves Sturgia and works for the Aserai as emir of Askar, then he's probably going to be rocking a lot of Aserai troops and not much else.

If a lord defects from Battania and winds up working for the Khuzait, then I would just expect him to have a mongolian force as that is his new home... Then again... I also liked how back in Warband certain "evil" lords would have these hodgepodge forces of "mercenaries" rather than a "straight ticket" type force of the lands to which they live. However, I do not like being forced to play the game according to someone elses whims, for me it is fun to mix-match forces and see what happens on the field of battle so that I can play to MY style. It is still a game at its core.

Historical accuracy on some things be damned, it just makes it more wild when some back stabbing lord can show up with his "core" force and a Mongolian mercenary horde riding with him. Mercenaries are nothing new in history as has been said and in a world this tiny where so many cultures are directly exposed to each other you would just EXPECT there to be overlap as they hire back and forth. If this is a problem the old Warband thing of "Swadians do not like fighting Swadians" would work for morale loss.

Forcing cultural problems would just break things to pieces as the AI is not great and the player would wind up ripping their hair out trying to keep control of the map, you would literally be forced to stay within cultural boundaries or maybe just on the fringes as you endlessly battle uprisings. All the while running home to recruit new fodder to march off to the distant front in an endless war of lose/lose attrition. Historically forces were raised locally to keep control, the Romans had their massed auxiliaries to flesh out their core forces from Italy. Also remember thisL Rome conquered the known world culture be damned, it did bite them in the arse HARD down the road but it is historically proven to work in such time periods before nationalism existed. And nationalism is NOT medieval.

The way I figure it though after having looked over the forums the past week... This is all a moot point as TW wont listen to anyone for good or ill and as such will just plug away until releasing it broken as hell. People will mod the ever loving hell out of it to make things work in their own good tastes, etc, etc.

The Roman Empire with Stepp horse archers is an immersion killer, I will be using changing culture mod.
Yeah it really is brother.
Maybe you are right but for sure he has not drafted his Battanian core from his sturgian or empire holdings :smile: If he has only such holdings, he for sure has drafted Battanian troops from the land of other lords in Battania.
Sometimes kingdoms end up holding down to one culture settlement if you play an active part pre clan tier 4. And if they venture far enough into enemy empire territory etc. they wont always travel back to battania to gather troops. This is one of the reasons why i never really bother to finish the game anymore and just play till i have one or 2 fully conquered kingdoms. Rest gets repetitive and immersion breaking once you get hold of one empire faction etc.

Thats why i suggest this change. Convincing lords to abandon their culture and fight for a new cause along with towns and villages would be the thing that made me wanna finish every campaign. Maybe even making visual overhauls to the villages/towns(i know thats a long project lol) so you could see how the culture change affects the town.

I always play faction locked because i wanna test the limits of every kingdom. And i dont wanna do that running around with an army based of all the god damn troops in the game.

Being a sandbox game its the small elements, details and choices in every playthrough that matters if every campaign ends up the same then why even pick a faction culture?

If a lord defects from Battania and winds up working for the Khuzait, then I would just expect him to have a mongolian force as that is his new home... Then again... I also liked how back in Warband certain "evil" lords would have these hodgepodge forces of "mercenaries" rather than a "straight ticket" type force of the lands to which they live. However, I do not like being forced to play the game according to someone elses whims, for me it is fun to mix-match forces and see what happens on the field of battle so that I can play to MY style. It is still a game at its core.

Historical accuracy on some things be damned, it just makes it more wild when some back stabbing lord can show up with his "core" force and a Mongolian mercenary horde riding with him. Mercenaries are nothing new in history as has been said and in a world this tiny where so many cultures are directly exposed to each other you would just EXPECT there to be overlap as they hire back and forth. If this is a problem the old Warband thing of "Swadians do not like fighting Swadians" would work for morale loss.

Forcing cultural problems would just break things to pieces as the AI is not great and the player would wind up ripping their hair out trying to keep control of the map, you would literally be forced to stay within cultural boundaries or maybe just on the fringes as you endlessly battle uprisings. All the while running home to recruit new fodder to march off to the distant front in an endless war of lose/lose attrition. Historically forces were raised locally to keep control, the Romans had their massed auxiliaries to flesh out their core forces from Italy. Also remember thisL Rome conquered the known world culture be damned, it did bite them in the arse HARD down the road but it is historically proven to work in such time periods before nationalism existed. And nationalism is NOT medieval.

The way I figure it though after having looked over the forums the past week... This is all a moot point as TW wont listen to anyone for good or ill and as such will just plug away until releasing it broken as hell. People will mod the ever loving hell out of it to make things work in their own good tastes, etc, etc.

Just playing my part providing the feedback to changes i would like. Again im heavily addicted to this game so something is done right but without mods or my own personal tweaks it just isnt enjoyable for me. My campaigns have been on a break for about 3-4 months now since the campaigns are just ending out the same way over and over.

To the cultural issue AI thing. My suggestion would just be that every time an AI captures town theyre ruthless and forces culture change in that very city and reduces the prosperity to rock bottom so the settlement basicly starts over. As in warband AI lords are dicks and in bannerlord the lords are a bit too god damn friendly i remember having 10 lords in warband and the struggle to make them happy everytime i captured a new castle or town. Holding feasts helped alot buuut that one lord would just instantly get angry as soon as i started handing out new fiefs.

The Roman Empire with Stepp horse archers is an immersion killer, I will be using changing culture mod.
Sure Rome (AFAIK) never had steppe archers in their midst, but that's likely more due to them never had any substantial holdings on the steppes -- certainly their culture was not one of the nomads, and so there were little reason for them to have close contact with them. Conversely, those with whom Rome had “intimate" contacts with were their neighbors, and though you might not think so now, it was just as stark a contrast to the romans to have goths in their armies than it is for you to see horse archers in an empire army in M&B. Yet the "barbarians" kept their customs and organisations while they served the Roman Empire close to when the western empire fell, why? Because the Empire had to keep them, because the Empire could no longer raise an army of their own that can protect them better than the goths.
If the empire is close to death and not in a place to choose which lord to join them, you bet that the empire would have horse archers, highlanders, mamlukes and more in their armies.

@Jarl Snow You are free to suggest anything you wish :smile: What I argue about that you are pointing towards realism and Immersion when your suggestions are less realistic than the rather realistic mechanism in Bannerlord.

1. Cultureswitching settlements is not realistic over the lifetime of 1-3 lords.
2. Recruting regular troops of culture A from fiefs of Culture B is not realistic

.... But to willingly cultureswitch a single lord sounds legit, a few over the cause of a campaign even but not all defecting lords should switch..

Back
Top Bottom