Forum Re-organization

Users who are viewing this thread

Lav

Sergeant Knight at Arms
As some players may have noticed, I've done some re-organization of stickied topics.

Download and information threads will be locked from now on, as their purpose is to deliver information from developers to players, not to discuss the mod itself. Download thread in particular will now function in "one post per mod update" mode, so players who subscribe to the thread will get email notifications about any new releases and important patches.

Suggestions and bug reporting threads will remain as they are. I'll be bringing the first posts of both threads to the common formatting style for easier reading, and will try to maintain them in more-or-less actual state from now on.

Nice and clean. I like it.

Is there anything we can do to help? For example, i thought about rebalancing some of the old quests and maybe adding a few more. If you could point me, where to look i will try to learn, how they are designed.

There's no guideline to quest making that I know of. Generally you either take an existing quest and suggest how it could be improved and/or balanced, or design a scenario for an entirely new quest from scratch.

Sorry for not being precise: I need to know, at which files i have to look to change the whole quest. I only found the quest.txt file, but it obviously does not contain all relevant data. And i have no idea, how to get the changed info to you for evaluation and hopefully implementation.

I'm afraid you won't get anywhere with txt files when it comes to quests. You need to learn Module System for this.

Note though that quests are actually some of the most complicated parts of any module, as quests generally require making changes to several different files. Elements of peasant training quest, for example, are scattered between dialogs (conversation.txt and dialog_states.txt), triggers, simple triggers, game menus, quests (obviously), scripts, and mission templates.

If you can learn all that, then you'll probably be able to write the quest the way you want to, as snippets of module system code to be included into respective module system files and compiled into the final module. The only problem is, by the time you learn all that stuff (and probably much earlier) you'll be perfectly qualified to join any mod's development team as a scripter, instead of contributing from the sidelines.

So, if you want to learn modding, The Forge forum is your friend (starting with stickied threads and following into the Tutorials sub-forum).

Ok. I read my way all through the ten chapters of the module-system. (To be honest, i skipped some details, but it was enough to get an impression.)
I finally found the needed sources (well hidden by you in the first row of the directory labeled .src :roll:  :lol:) and your arc-documentary.

I will study them, to get an impression of your plans and after that i'll make a list of possible changes to the quests for a starter. New quests got stood back in the second row for now. I have to get a better grip on the relevant modules first.

Back
Top Bottom