Forum Feedback and Suggestions (NOT Game Feedback)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi @Janus, as for this CSS edition, I hope it won't be too much work. This:
EVwxMYq.jpg
I don't know if it will look like this for the rest of the users too, I imagine it will.
Hmm, it doesn't show like that for users with moderation control, but I reproduced that on my test account. Thanks for the report, fixed.

This might not be the place to post this, but today after hopping on the forums I was hit with:
" Attempts to send emails to [email protected] have failed. Please update your email. You will be treated as an unregistered user and will be unable to post until you do so. "

Even though I received an email from the forums roughly an hour before, and have been getting emails from the forum for a long time. I updated the email to be the exact same one, and had to reconfirm my account and it is all working fine now, but I thought this may be a bug of some sort and I wasn't able to post anywhere for help before doing so.

This might not be the place to post this, but today after hopping on the forums I was hit with:
" Attempts to send emails to [email protected] have failed. Please update your email. You will be treated as an unregistered user and will be unable to post until you do so. "

Even though I received an email from the forums roughly an hour before, and have been getting emails from the forum for a long time. I updated the email to be the exact same one, and had to reconfirm my account and it is all working fine now, but I thought this may be a bug of some sort and I wasn't able to post anywhere for help before doing so.
Gmail had an outage earlier today for a few hours, where it was randomly reporting to e-mail senders that the recipient address doesn't exist. So, as far as the forum knew, your email address was no longer valid. Google seems to have fixed the problem as of a few hours ago, so you can simply follow the link provided and enter your e-mail address again.

Hi,

I don't know if it has been asked before, I couldn't find it, but would it be possible to have the "Show new replies to your posts." option in the new forum?

fPlPE.png

It was a very efficient way to keep track of the threads you had commented in. I might be missing something obvious but I find quite a hassle having to pro-actively watch every single thread I have posted in. Thanks.

Hi,

I don't know if it has been asked before, I couldn't find it, but would it be possible to have the "Show new replies to your posts." option in the new forum?

fPlPE.png

It was a very efficient way to keep track of the threads you had commented in. I might be missing something obvious but I find quite a hassle having to pro-actively watch every single thread I have posted in. Thanks.

There is a page for this on the new site but its hidden behind 3 very poorly labelled buttons. I just put it as a bookmark because of how much of a pain in the ass it was to find.

You can also sort of access this via another inconvenient set of clicks and filters: What's new --> New Posts --> Filter " Threads in which you've participated"

Hi,

fPlPE.png

Time for my shameless self advertising
wtl3O.png

posts.png

I am pretty sure in old forum this red icon was faded little bit, not fully turning into "no new posts" icon, when you read some new posts on a thread or few of them. I mean not reading all of new posts among all of threads but some of them. The icon was going to full red again when there is a new post on a thread which you previously read not the ones you did not read.
icon.png

While this icon only have the ability turning into white icon if you read all of the new posts on a board like "The Citadel - General Discussion".
Is there a option for the old feature or this is something don't exist in the new forum?

While this icon only have the ability turning into white icon if you read all of the new posts on a board like "The Citadel - General Discussion".
Is there a option for the old feature or this is something don't exist in the new forum?
To my knowledge, there's no support for that in XenForo, sorry.
And actually, in SMF, the halfway color was used when there were no new posts since you last viewed the board, but there were still child boards under it which had new posts since you last viewed those child boards. In XenForo, boards only show as read when you've viewed all actual new posts in that board and all child boards, not just having viewed the board itself since the newest post.

Some Ideas:

Sub threads and/or categories (in the Creative Unit Aesthetics thread for example, several categories which could be one for each culture; in each culture - historical inspiration, sketches, BL models, models in general, 3d, 2d, props...) it's like the spoilers but instead of them appearing as you scroll down, the categories would be horizontal on the top of the screen, and when you hover with the mouse or click, sub categories would appear. It's far more efficient to search this way.

Sub threads/categories could also be people posting a new thread under a more general topic pinned for visibility - e.g.: SP Siege issues is a thread in The keep - SP, sub threads/categories could be - attacking issues; defending issues; inside the attacking issues would be - ramps issues, ladders issues, wall issues, AI issues...

The ideas above are a good way to organize the forum and avoid people repeating the same issues over and over in different threads. By concentrating and organizing the information, the community could then move to provide some more depth to discussion

Art sections threads for scenes, ui, troops, campaign art… and other (sub) art divisions like 3d characters, 2d concept art, props… could be made by TW personal. This way you could have a standardization or blueprint for this art sections in more efficient ways that devs, modders, members and guests could use.

I was considering creating a similar thread to Creative Unit Aesthetics, by @Piconi but for UI, having the suggestions above would make our lives a lot easier.

Another concept would be pinned comments, they would be pinned by the OP and/or by a moderator or developer, they could appear immediately after the OP post but would also appear in the position it was originally posted to maintain the conversation flow.

The reaction score and best answers seem underused, they don't really add something special and functional, afaik. If this were more used and used under certain objective parameters it could be a good way to incentivize people to post certain things which developers may find useful or whatever the goal or parameter for receiving these might be.

Adding a gallery with photos and media for each thread like Messenger or Skype could be a good addition, by having this in thread like the Creative Unit Aesthetics you could just scroll through all the images to get down to what really matters, other example would be in the What are you listening to right now? Mark V thread, you would quickly have a playlist at your disposal.

Infinite scroll – you would scroll indefinitely in threads (until the messages end). No need to click the next page. Also could apply to scroll threads in the main forum pages.

A quick chat for both members and possibly guests, where people ask general questions like having some issue and what to do, immediately someone would know (or not) instead of creating a thread just for that answer;

FAQ (frequently asked questions) concept should apply to FPT (frequently posted threads). Having this and some dev post a decisive answer to the questions that constantly repeat in threads would be much appreciated. (The categories/sub threads concept would also tackle this problem)

Sub threads and/or categories (in the Creative Unit Aesthetics thread for example, several categories which could be one for each culture; in each culture - historical inspiration, sketches, BL models, models in general, 3d, 2d, props...) it's like the spoilers but instead of them appearing as you scroll down, the categories would be horizontal on the top of the screen, and when you hover with the mouse or click, sub categories would appear. It's far more efficient to search this way.
I don't believe there's an add-on for something like this on a thread level. I know what you mean but probably not feasible without some heavy forum modifications. Would each of these categories within the threads have its own reply system? Seems like an over-complication to me.
Sub threads/categories could also be people posting a new thread under a more general topic pinned for visibility - e.g.: SP Siege issues is a thread in The keep - SP, sub threads/categories could be - attacking issues; defending issues; inside the attacking issues would be - ramps issues, ladders issues, wall issues, AI issues...

The ideas above are a good way to organize the forum and avoid people repeating the same issues over and over in different threads. By concentrating and organizing the information, the community could then move to provide some more depth to discussion
Your idea sounds great on paper and we have tried a similar approach in various areas such as MP Maps and Classes. They all have their own threads. In our experience, people will still use the general discussion areas to provide feedback on those. So even if we had the ability to create categories within a thread, not really feasible without some heavy moderation (merging the new threads into the pinned one) to make it happen.
Art sections threads for scenes, ui, troops, campaign art… and other (sub) art divisions like 3d characters, 2d concept art, props… could be made by TW personal. This way you could have a standardization or blueprint for this art sections in more efficient ways that devs, modders, members and guests could use.
Same issue, people tend to post feedback in their own threads without checking the existing ones which would require heavy moderation. When we migrate to XenForo 2.2 we'll get the feature "Similar threads" that lists similar threads based on the thread title when creating a new thread. Hopefully, that will decrease the number of essentially "clone" threads.
Another concept would be pinned comments, they would be pinned by the OP and/or by a moderator or developer, they could appear immediately after the OP post but would also appear in the position it was originally posted to maintain the conversation flow.
This is already coming with the new 2.2 Q&A feature but it will be only available within the Q&A boards like the modding Q&A. Might be worth investigating for other areas though.
The reaction score and best answers seem underused, they don't really add something special and functional, afaik. If this were more used and used under certain objective parameters it could be a good way to incentivize people to post certain things which developers may find useful or whatever the goal or parameter for receiving these might be.
Reaction score is not used at all (reactions are only available in limited areas of the forum). In the discussion thread, people didn't seem to be fond of the reactions in general. Best answers are used in the Q&A boards and lead to different levels of the Q&A badge.
Adding a gallery with photos and media for each thread like Messenger or Skype could be a good addition, by having this in thread like the Creative Unit Aesthetics you could just scroll through all the images to get down to what really matters, other example would be in the What are you listening to right now? Mark V thread, you would quickly have a playlist at your disposal.
Since we don't allow attachments (the feature upon which the media gallery works in Messenger) I doubt this can be implemented easily nor is there an existing add-on available for this.
Infinite scroll – you would scroll indefinitely in threads (until the messages end). No need to click the next page. Also could apply to scroll threads in the main forum pages.
There's an add-on available for this. We'll discuss it.
A quick chat for both members and possibly guests, where people ask general questions like having some issue and what to do, immediately someone would know (or not) instead of creating a thread just for that answer;
Don't believe this would work out. The existing chat software platforms available out there provide much more than our integrated "quick chat" ever would.
FAQ (frequently asked questions) concept should apply to FPT (frequently posted threads). Having this and some dev post a decisive answer to the questions that constantly repeat in threads would be much appreciated.
We're currently exploring something in that direction.

Thanks for your answer. I understand and agree.
I don't believe there's an add-on for something like this on a thread level. I know what you mean but probably not feasible without some heavy forum modifications. Would each of these categories within the threads have its own reply system? Seems like an over-complication to me.
No, it's not necessary. You could just take the idea of putting the spoilers organized at the top of the screen. Then the spoilers could have like sub spoilers (if possible) to allow a more condensed look if there are many spoilers to be seen. Naturally, when you would open the thread, spoilers content would all be hidden and you have the rest of the post just as normal. By having all the spoilers at the top you could then easily look at what you looking for, you would click on the spoiler you want and the content would appear - 1. just below, before the rest of the post; 2. below, after the post; 3. redirect to the location the content was posted originally. That's what I can think of right now, I'm sure you guyz know better.

One more thing, having a button to go directly to the top and the bottom. They could be in fixed positions, (near the scroll bar) one to go to the bottom at the top and the other at the bottom to go to the top. But having the buttons always present in the right side (near the scroll bar), moving along with your position on the page would be better.
Again, thanks for considering the suggestions.

Maybe on a phone or tablet it could be better to a certain extant, but on pcs? That's a solid no for me. I have dropped the forums and webcomics which do this because it becomes harder finding specific posts or pages. If you want to go to page 20, you have to manually scroll down to page 20 and some comments just become unavoidably lost. I think that kind of system works well for something like youtube's comment system due to the sheer number of people on there and how messy the comment order is anyway, but on a forum, it just doesn't work at all that well. If a thread is very long, it becomes more tedious scrolling down than actually clicking next first, last or the page I want to go to, and I generally don't like scrolling down when I'm on a pc in comparison to when I'm on my phone, which I never use for forums anyway because the screen is too small for me.

There's an add-on available for this. We'll discuss it.
I speak in my name because I don't have any statistics on appreciation of or knowledge about how user friendly this feature actually is, but I believe there at least a few others who support my point of view and we should matter too if the add-on is discussed.

One more thing, having a button to go directly to the top and the bottom. They could be in fixed positions, (near the scroll bar) one to go to the bottom at the top and the other at the bottom to go to the top. But having the buttons always present in the right side (near the scroll bar), moving along with your position on the page would be better.
For some reason, we had this disabled. Will enable it with the transition to 2.2, thank you for your suggestions.
I speak in my name because I don't have any statistics on appreciation of or knowledge about how user friendly this feature actually is, but I believe there at least a few others who support my point of view and we should matter too if the add-on is discussed.
Agreed yeah, just wanted to discuss this internally first with the moderation team. And we came to the same conclusion as you did. It's not really user-friendly and can't be done as a per-user setting. Additionally, we have some valid concerns about how this would affect performance. So we won't be adding that functionality.

Back
Top Bottom