Formation usage (a poll)

When a field battle starts, you break formations...

• ...immediately in 85%-100% of situations

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • ...immediately in 60%-84% of situations

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • ...immediately in 40%-59% of situations

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • ...later during the battle when you tell your troops to charge

Votes: 36 40.0%
  • ...hardly ever, preferring to keep them and play defensive rather than offensive

Votes: 9 10.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Articulo34 said:
Just go into PoP folder, find module.ini, open it with notepad, find line "use_advanced_formation = 0" near the bottom, replace 0 with 1.

I didn't know these existed...
But after trying them I think I'll stick with the old ones.
The advanced formations do provide slightly more options, but, first, those are generally similar to the ones from a non-advanced range, and, second, the new options come at the cost of more keyboard buttons being used (F1-F4 for a first command instead of F1-F3 and up to F7 for a second command).

P.S. And regarding the poll.
My own answer is the first one.  :grin:
Using "u" became so habitual that I sometimes press it even in siege battles, and only then realize that there are no formations to break.
And I almost always break even infantry formation preferring to spam F2-F4 for higher troop density.

One issue I remember is the default ranks like putting high level infantry in front.

So your, uh... Fierdswain Berserkers, Empire Gladiators, D'shar Scorpion Assasins, Sarleon Halberdiers all go and stand in front to be shot etc...

Thus I prefer Shield Wall.

I'm hoping we can get a tweak from someone that reverts it to vanilla formations (tight rows), so we don't have to break formation and hit stand closer. Without losing the AI of course.

I play with a battle size of 220 and I find that the cavalry in wedge formation gets all intertwined with the dismounted troops and they start dismounting.

very annoying

I do always keep infantry in rank formation before the main engagement.

Raviollius said:
You don't need to break formations to stand closer.

I don't like the Formations, so I break them. When I break them, my troops get into their lines, but more spread out than normal, so I also hit Stand Closer once to get them back to the vanilla form.

Articulo34 said:
Saber Knight said:
Articulo34 said:
To be honest I break them as soon as the battle begins. I prefer to use the "use_advanced_formation = 1" introduced with WFaS for myself, the AI responds much better to my commands that way and provides much more flexibility than standard Warband.

The only reason I keep formations on is because they improve the enemy AI a bit.

Could you explain more on this? It sounds exactly what I'm looking for.
Just go into PoP folder, find module.ini, open it with notepad, find line "use_advanced_formation = 0" near the bottom, replace 0 with 1.

When you try to use the command orders you´ll see that they are different (unfortunately you will only see the orders in the form of a string, not the text, but they are clear enough) and allow you to form troops in lines with a depth of 1 to 5 regardless the distance between them (which can still be regulated).

It also has other benefits like having your ranged troops holding fire without switching to their melee weapons, which in turn allows for devastating crossbow volley fire.
If anybody wants to add the strings for this so it reads properly, open your ui.csv file in your PoP directory (Modules/Prophesy of Pendor/languages/ui.csv) with notepad or notepad++ and paste this at the bottom:
ui_cut|Cutting
ui_pierce|Piercing
ui_blunt|Blunt
ui_use_melee_weapons_e_|%s, use melee weapons!
ui_use_ranged_weapons_e_|%s, use ranged weapons!
ui_order_button_use_melee_weapons|Use melee weapons
ui_order_button_use_ranged_weapons|Use ranged weapons
ui_order_button_weapon_usage_orders|Weapon usage orders
ui_fire_at_my_command_e_|%s, fire at my command!
ui_fire_now_e_|%s, fire!
ui_order_button_fire_at_my_command|Fire at my command
ui_order_button_fire_now|Fire
ui_order_form_1_row|Form 1 row
ui_order_form_2_row|Form 2 rows
ui_order_form_3_row|Form 3 rows
ui_order_form_4_row|Form 4 rows
ui_order_form_5_row|Form 5 rows
ui_form_1_row_e_|%s, form 1 row!
ui_form_2_row_e_|%s, form 2 rows!
ui_form_3_row_e_|%s, form 3 rows!
ui_form_4_row_e_|%s, form 4 rows!
ui_form_5_row_e_|%s, form 5 rows!
ui_order_7|Select Order 7
ui_order_8|Select Order 8
ui_all_fire_now_e_|%s, volley fire!
ui_left_fire_now_e_|%s, left flank volley fire!
ui_middle_fire_now_e_|%s, middle group volley fire!
ui_right_fire_now_e_|%s, right flank volley fire!
ui_order_button_all_fire_now|All volley fire
ui_order_button_left_fire_now|Left flank volley fire
ui_order_button_middle_fire_now|Middle group volley fire
ui_order_button_right_fire_now|Right flank volley fire
ui_crouch|Crouch
Make sure you press enter after crouch.

Raviollius said:
I turn them off when they start disobeying me, or when it's time to charge. I don't see the point of the archery formation, though.
Having the archers in formation makes the arrow rain more dense.

I have my archers in formation as close to each other as possible and have them hold fire to release an uber volley.
I have my cav at the side and let them charge if the enemey closes in on my archers.
And my mounted cav I have running circles.
No footsoldiers

Formation system not totally useless Imo. Shieldwall for Inf. Works wonder againts cavalry charge. But 90% of time I broke the formation and form it later depens on situations.

My strategy is just to get the other army to charge me, thereby splitting their cavalry from their other forces.  I snipe an enemy which causes the charge.  When their cavalry is a certain distance away, F1 F3 and I counter-charge.  It's pretty much useless to keep formation or overthink it.  It's more important to deal with enemy cavalry as quickly as possible so that they don't get into the back line, causing your infantry to chase them and exposing archers to melee/cavalry attack. 

I've tried many mods, and most of them try to install some sort of useless formation system that is complicated, but really either doesn't work or is far worse and is heavily exploitable.  A lot of mods I see have formations where infantry travels in balls of troops that can be picked off at the edges by you, so you can solo the entire army as long as they don't have many thrown weapons.  If you use your army, it's ball vs. ball.  I prefer the open widespread nature of PoP combat which is free-flowing and fast.  The AI works surprisingly well, with archers moving up until they are in firing range while infantry and cavalry charge the archers and enemy infantry.  The only problem that occurs is if enemy cavalry aren't dealt with and you have your infantry trying to chase enemy cavalry around in your backline.  That's why I focus on taking out enemy cavalry first personally. 

Of all the combat AI I've fought against and played, I find PoP has the best and most fun to play against AI that offers a good challenge in a fast-flowing style.  It's also less exploitable I feel than other mods that keep formations together so you know they won't chase you past a certain point, but since the formation has to keep together, they have to turn and chase one enemy and the entire army has to operate as one, which leads to the school of fish analogy. 

azxcvbnm321 said:
A lot of mods I see have formations where infantry travels in balls of troops that can be picked off at the edges by you, so you can solo the entire army as long as they don't have many thrown weapons.  If you use your army, it's ball vs. ball.  I prefer the open widespread nature of PoP combat which is free-flowing and fast.
What's nice is that if you instead use yourself and your army, you can get the AI's infantry ball to turn around so your army can shoot them in the back.

It can be a bit risky if the enemy has a lot of horse and/or good archers that are able to down your horse (obviously harder for them if you use special horses)

It all depends on my troop composition, difficulty settings, enemy tactics, enemy troop composition and terrain. On max difficulty I'm used to losing troops but I hardly lose battles. The aftermath after every battle is tiring so I do it in advance and then move on from where I left at. The success of formations heavily depends the player's importance on the battlefield, For example the player can kite the enemies to his advantage or take out the enemies' heavy cavalry whilst they are distracted by ally troops. I'm used to using simple commands such as stand closer or split up, hold your position, hold your fire/fire at will depending on the variables of the battlefield. Of course additional commands can substantially change the flow of the battle but simpler is usually better in terms of tactics. I haven't even tried flanking on max difficulty because the enemy's heavy infantry is sure to crush my attack so I keep my pace to avoid pointless losses.

I play in windowed mode, formations prevents accurate troop placement. However, turning combat formations off in pop options also turns off the AI, so I have to live with having to break formations at the start of every fight.

Back
Top Bottom