Forge Guidepost - New at modding Warband? Read here!

Users who are viewing this thread

For new modders and forumnites it can be quite difficult and confusing to navigate within the Forge. To help modders to orientate themselves more easily this guidepost is now set up, to give a short overview above all the sections and some general guidelines.

The Forge
The Forge is the mainhub of modders of Warband, its DLCs or WFaS. Take note of the sticky threads, they all contain informations which made them pin-worthy. To give, in alphabetic order, a short overview above them:
  • Forge Scrap Yard - Thread and Post Collection
    Here you will find a wild collection of threads and posts across the Forge. They can contain useful informations, code bases to build up on and/or hints for where to look for something to reach a specific effect.
  • Modding Guide M&B Warband
    A project which started in April 2020, aiming for a comprehensive modding documentation for M&B Warband. The plan is to gather all available informations scattered across the forum and integrate into one Guide which can then serve as a good base for all Modders of the Warband Engine.
  • Nordous' Sceners Guild
    Here you will find a collection of tutorials and informations by scener for sceners.
  • Vault of Knowledge - Library of Scripts and Kits
    Here you will find a structured collection of open source scripts within specific threads for ease of use.
  • Warband Modder's Download Repository
    Extensive list of download links to valuable modding tools like the Module Systems, OpenBRF and a wider collection of Editors, with most of it created by the modding community.
Threads posted in the Forge contain in general new moding-related discussions, tutorials, scripts and asset packs. Depending on the content of a thread it might get sorted into one of the subboards after some exposure time in the Forge. These are:

(WIP) Getting started at modding Warband partially taken from Fisheye
How can I contribute to a M&B modding project?
There are three major and multiple ancillary ways in how you can contribute to a module-creation process:
You may script, and change how the game runs, for example by implementing new troops, items and scenes, creating new quests and missions, etc. Or, you may model, and change how the game looks, for example by creating a new different-looking weapon or armour, or a set of new scene props which gives some scenes of the module a more immersive setting. Or, you may scene, and change how the player sees the different places of the world, for example by creating new towns and villages, or setting the base for siege battles or more easter-egg like hidden locations.​
Animations, Sounds, Music, Texturing, Lore Research, Quest Writer, Bug Hunter.​
I don't know how to do either, but how can I learn?
Add graphical elements here, redirecting to the best starting places.​
I just posted a mod idea in the discussions forum. Why is everyone ignoring it or even acting hostile to me?
Just posting a mod idea without having done any work on it and actually committing to lead a mod project, is generally not welcomed by the community. Why? Because there are many good ideas around and everyone is working on what they think is best. No experienced modder is patiently waiting for someone to come up with a mod idea. To think otherwise would imply that you have a serious lack of understanding of people and their motivations, or that you just spam the forums with anything that comes to mind. Either one would earn you instant derision.​
Did you just say I shouldn't post mod ideas in the discussions forum?
Yes. Don't just post ideas in the mod discussions forum. The chances of your mod idea being implemented actually go down when you do something like that. As will your popularity.
Well, then what can I do?
Get first some work done on your project idea. Show that you are serious about seeing this project to the end, not just throwing an idea in a random direction and hoping someone else will do all the work. Make a map, make new troops, a few new models, something simple like that. Put up screenshots of them, along with a plan of what you want to include in the mod. Then people will start taking you seriously, and you may even get other members joining your team.​
working-on.gif

The Pioneer's Guild - Mods Under Construction
Once you got some grip at the basics of modding you might want to start a bigger modding project on your own and to inform others about your plans. The Pioneer's Guild is the board at which you can do this. Simply start a new thread there and give all the informations and details which you already want to share with the community. Once you managed a stable release of your mod, report your own thread and give as report note that you want your thread to be moved into the Caravanserai, the board of the released mods.

The Caravanserai - Released Mods
Released mods will get moved into The Caravanserai and - depending on if it is a mod for Warband, Viking Conquest, Napoleonic Wars, With Fire and Sword or Vanilla Mount & Blade - sorted there into the respective subboard. Congratulations, you have managed to finish an important step at the development of your modding project :grin:

Last edited:
I still need to write down the part 'Getting started at modding Warband'. Please give feedback and suggestions on which useful informations for beginners at modding this thread could still give or link too!
I think the Modding Guide gives a thorough insight into grasping basic stuff related to Warband modding. There is an abundance of data at people's disposal, in my humble opinion.

The Module System is the ultimate thing to look for. If people could learn it when M&B modding was taking off with barely any guides, people would learn it in the final stage of Warband modding with an abundance of resources.

It's not supposed to be just for scripters but also for sceners, 3d and 2d-artists, to give them a first waypoint for orientation. For scripters the Module System is of course the obvious thing to look for, although I will also shortly mention Morgh's Editor (and the restrictions coming by number tweaking).

It's not supposed to be just for scripters but also for sceners, 3d and 2d-artists, to give them a first waypoint for orientation. For scripters the Module System is of course the obvious thing to look for, although I will also shortly mention Morgh's Editor (and the restrictions coming by number tweaking).
I think Nordous' thread is enough for starters in scening and 3D/ 2D artists have a lot of data at their disposal being either on the forum or outside of it. A reference how to filter by 3D and 2D tutorials on TW forum is enough, I think. Learning takes time, so people should have a deal of patience to take their time to browse through the forum.

My suggestions to add something to the topic:
  • "The Archive contains threads with old lost OSPs at which the download links are not working anymore." - it can be added that a method to retrieve lost OSPs is to browse for mods with them which have their download link(s) working (then, the mod can be downloaded and the resources retrieved)
  • my opinion about giving mod ideas: "Throwing ideas around is just useless. Idea is one thing, but another is time spent on making it real. Therefore, if one thinks they have a great idea which requires tons of hours/ effort to make real, then it is just a waste."

Thanks for the suggestions!
"The Archive contains threads with old lost OSPs at which the download links are not working anymore." - it can be added that a method to retrieve lost OSPs is to browse for mods with them which have their download link(s) working (then, the mod can be downloaded and the resources retrieved)
A good one, I added this part.
my opinion about giving mod ideas: "Throwing ideas around is just useless. Idea is one thing, but another is time spent on making it real. Therefore, if one thinks they have a great idea which requires tons of hours/ effort to make real, then it is just a waste."
I think it is already roughly written like this ^^

Back
Top Bottom