[For those with some industry experience] When do you think Bannerlord will really leave Early Access?

Users who are viewing this thread

The full PR cycle began in 2013/14 and they were publishing stuff..."consistently" during that whole time. From what I've heard from developers they kept redoing game systems because the management wasn't happy with them, and if you look at employee reviews they say the same thing.

The full PR cycle began in 2013/14 and they were publishing stuff..."consistently" during that whole time. From what I've heard from developers they kept redoing game systems because the management wasn't happy with them, and if you look at employee reviews they say the same thing.

Well, im glad that they took their time and re-did these systems until they made the perfect game. Oh, wait.....

Meh okay, they did exist, I wouldn't call them significant pieces of work to add in though. Most of them easy enough to put in prior to March. :razz:
Joking right? 9 months of EA hasnt produced anything of significance and you think 3 months will add all these features ? Okay then.

Joking right? 9 months of EA hasnt produced anything of significance and you think 3 months will add all these features ? Okay then.

These content future happy people are pie in the sky here at this point. They have added almost nothing in this game of significance in the EA, it's true. The custom troop mod is far better than any content we have seen so far, it's not debatable.

Yep and that's just one mod. I was supportive of TW in the first few months of EA, but now... Strange that I've given up on TW and have turned to modders to make this game.

Actually my perspective is that of a realist. Naivety / Ignorance will only get you so far, right? I work with software developers most days in my role but not one myself but its fair to say apart from artwork etc, they had to spend a significant portion of EA fixing the game engine. Much to peoples disappointment that it wasn't "further" along of course, it's still a fact. The game engine/rendering the thing that everything else depends on. They have only recently started to add other content since that has begun to stabilise. So yes, I'm optimistic that more will come especially content. Even if they run out of money (or lets call it departmental budget), they'll simply release the game out of EA to get more if needed.

Seemingly the forming gaps between patches is seen only negatively but in reality recent patches started to have more meaning to a "typical player" as its becoming more about content. Something people should focus on.

Again, they could almost release the game if they wanted too as it is, as a open sandbox but it is still a "little empty", something that won't take much to address compared to what they have been dealing with. The "Feature" list mentioned by the Sub section mod that are missing from Warband are (mostly) small things, insofar as implementing them the same way as Warband, like for like if thats been promised/asked for.

Last edited:
The team that works on the engine is separate from the people that code new game mechanics and add new features with artists' help.
So normally you would have these things running in parallel:
- engine performance improvement, including unit pathfinding
- strategic improvements (like rebellions and advanced diplomacy) and faction balancing (mexxico's pet project)
- scripting and new gameplay (quests, perks, kids/aging, anything else)
- new/improved weapons and armors
- new/improved scenes (also called maps by MP kids)
- MP balancing or even rehauls

It's never "TW had to concentrate on X so they couldn't do anything else". There are no excuses except if most developers quit and they simply don't have the manpower anymore (which might be true, given how many job vacancies they are trying to fill).

The team that works on the engine is separate from the people that code new game mechanics and add new features with artists' help.
So normally you would have these things running in parallel:
- engine performance improvement, including unit pathfinding
- strategic improvements (like rebellions and advanced diplomacy) and faction balancing (mexxico's pet project)
- scripting and new gameplay (quests, perks, kids/aging, anything else)
- new/improved weapons and armors
- new/improved scenes (also called maps by MP kids)
- MP balancing or even rehauls

It's never "TW had to concentrate on X so they couldn't do anything else". There are no excuses except if most developers quit and they simply don't have the manpower anymore (which might be true, given how many job vacancies they are trying to fill).

Yes in a ideal world and in a large enough team, sure.

Unfortunately not many companies (not exclusive to Game studios) can afford people to work in isolated teams/departments like that where one person has one hat and no others.

Once you take out HR/Finance/IT/Management/Marketing/Sales/Directors and spread the remaining against QA/Dev/Support/Community/Modelling/art you really are left with not many people. Then the harsh reality that no company ever can/will hire purely experienced/senior staff, leaving with you a % of juniors. Someone like mexxico I'm sure is involved in a great many things and I imagine is one of the seniors I speak off that is spread very thin. Him mentioning having a pet project I'm sure is the tip of his own iceberg that he doesn't need to share with the community.

I think things are going as well as they can be and will continue to get better.

The next update 1.5.6 will bring so many bugs that they need to fix that until February / March. Then 1.6 will come out with fixed rebellions. After that they will need 3 more month till 1.7 for more bug fixing and maybe some interactions between your wife and children.
Then at 1.8 around October 21 they will fix Siege Battles and give some abilities to management.
At december 21 they will be fixing more bugs and perhaps give us the abilities to manage our Kingdom properly.

And after that so around 2022/23 all promised features which should be implemented in Early Acces will be done.

Give up the game its like a whore you think you can marry and she will be brave to you but she will suck behind your back.
Its not worth hoping or waste time on that

The game engine/rendering the thing that everything else depends on. They have only recently started to add other content since that has begun to stabilise.

To add to what madvader said, the fact that there were screenshots of assets and environments available in 2013 shows that the rendering side was done by then. From there, asset creators can work on textures and models while drastic changes are being made to the rendering system, because it basically every engine nowadays imports models and textures the exact same way.

I think there is a lot of misinformation about how much of an undertaking an engine is, or even what it is. Functionally it's just an arbitrary grouping of highly reusable code, and it's completely up to the developers to decide what bits of code to call an "engine" or even to call it an engine at all.
In the 90s when this terminology first appeared it was mainly for marketing, but nowadays it can be useful to divide between situational code (missions, cutscenes, game mechanics, AI) and re-usable code (collision, physics, rendering) because they typically don't interact very much beyond basic function calls,

Mid/End 2021 is a more realistic date, taking into account what Callum said. TW won’t probably accomplish 100% of the promised features like different scenarios per each map, but as long as we get rebellions, crime system, death&aging 100% functional, smithing revamped, dialogs improved and some extra maps, I think that TW will officially launch the game.

To add to what madvader said, the fact that there were screenshots of assets and environments available in 2013 shows that the rendering side was done by then. From there, asset creators can work on textures and models while drastic changes are being made to the rendering system, because it basically every engine nowadays imports models and textures the exact same way.

I think there is a lot of misinformation about how much of an undertaking an engine is, or even what it is. Functionally it's just an arbitrary grouping of highly reusable code, and it's completely up to the developers to decide what bits of code to call an "engine" or even to call it an engine at all.
In the 90s when this terminology first appeared it was mainly for marketing, but nowadays it can be useful to divide between situational code (missions, cutscenes, game mechanics, AI) and re-usable code (collision, physics, rendering) because they typically don't interact very much beyond basic function calls,

You have two choices on what to believe as I see it.

1) They showcased what they could, with the 'engine' with it in the same state in 2013 as we had it in day 1 of EA and only when they got resources in financially from releasing it as early access, they were able to get the help (hired or outsourced) to fix the compiled version.

Completely plausible, they can create set piece scenes to do videos with even back in 2013 and do what they can to circumnavigate things like memory leaks or otherwise entirely broken parts of the game that we all have experienced.

With most of the 'huge' issues fixed now, we're still on a turning point for the better

2) They tried several times and abandoned several attempts to get something the "way they wanted" that was custom, that is not borne from Unreal or Unity and isentirely their own IP. What you was "showcased then" doesn't exist anymore apart from the artwork/models.

Again, now at a positive turning point regardless of the past.

---

Or a combination of both.

I think there isnt a lot to add in terms of 'content'to say this is a full game. Thats my ignorance of Bannerlord hype before hand though. I don't know what was promised or planned for.

Comparing it to Warband now, there isn't much too it. Bannerlord probably adds a little more content now on top of a mahoosive beautiful engine. The much needed 'foundation' of Bannerlord is there and it runs great by itself now. Unlike pre 1.4.1 or close.

Could there be a a lot more immersion / content - undeniable. I hope more varied quests come in. And really it should have that before release.
There is quite a bit of gameplay content missing that was in Warband and isn't in Bannerlord. If they re-add that stuff, and then finish their announced rebellions and dynasty systems and crime systems, fill out the missing scenes, and do the necessary bugfixing and balancing still required, then it would be safe to call this game a "full game" in terms of content, and a good sequel.

The next update 1.5.6 will bring so many bugs that they need to fix that until February / March. Then 1.6 will come out with fixed rebellions. After that they will need 3 more month till 1.7 for more bug fixing and maybe some interactions between your wife and children.
Then at 1.8 around October 21 they will fix Siege Battles and give some abilities to management.
At december 21 they will be fixing more bugs and perhaps give us the abilities to manage our Kingdom properly.
To be honest, that doesn´t sound unrealistic.

They introduce new bugs with each new update and 1.5.6 will be a major update IF rebellions will be in the update...

1.5.5 was released 5 weeks ago, death bug still not fixed but I guess it will be fixed in 1.5.6 or at least I hope. TW doesn´t talk to us anymore so who knows :grin:

Back
Top Bottom