SP - General For executions: a new metric, "Grievance", to measure the right to execute

Users who are viewing this thread

So it seems to me that the execution mechanic is pretty limited right now. The penalties are very harsh and seem arbitrary. What's needed is some kind of system of justification for putting someone to death. Situations where the average Calradian would look at it and think, "Well, he had it coming, after all."

So I had this idea of a new metric, separate from relations, to measure the size of the grudge you have against other lords, or them against you. I'd call it "Grievance" and it would keep track of every crime committed against you. Think of it as being sort of like "Right to Rule", but for execution.

How it would work is there'd be a scale of, say 1-100 Grievance, and every time somebody attacks you or raids your village or caravan, you get a few grievance points against them, and as the total Grievance score gets higher the relation penalties for executing them goes down and affects fewer people. So if you were to execute someone with no Grievance at all, just about everyone in Calradia would be strongly against it. They'd see you as an out-of-control Ramsey Bolton type and you'd lose a ton of relations with everybody. As your Grievance grows, however, some lords start to think its ok that you cut the guy's head off. Cruel and sadistic lords, and the other guy's enemies would need a lower Grievance rating to approve of the execution. More honorable lords would require a much higher level before approving. At the highest Grievance rating, only the victim's clan would get upset, and not quite as much as they would have at lower scores.

And this would work against the player as well. So if you keep raiding the same guy's villages, he's going to have a large grievance against you and you might find your head on the block. Here as well, the personality traits of the lord could determine how large a grievance is enough to make him want execute you. And if you've already executed someone's clan member, that would give the surviving clan members a good-sized grievance against you. Certain types of heinous crimes could cause mass grievances. We don't have monastaries or temples, but if we did, raiding a temple could cause grievance with everyone who shares that religion.

I think a system like this could make outlaw playthroughs fun just for the added thrill of risking your own neck. If nothing else, it would give you a justification for beheading that scumbag who keeps raiding your villages.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1
Like it very much, except one point. Even if i had low grievance on someone, not all of calradia should hate me for it. The clan, the kingdom and culture sure, but all of calradia? No thanks. It would make no sense for some guy in Battania to hate me because i chopped some Khuzaits head off, heck he would proibably not even know of it happening if we are viewing this realistically. But of course chopping many heads off should lead to some perosnality trait change and that would influecne my interaction with anyone.

Well, the way I see it, if you're killing people with no justification at all, then that would be frowned upon by everyone, regardless of their relationship to the victim. They'd see you as a mad dog and without any honor.

Oh, I forgot to add a key point. Because every system should be reversible, there needs to be a way to reduce someone's grievance with you. So for one, the grievance score should decay slowly over time. And you could pay a hefty Blood Price to reduce it by a lot.

Nice idea but grievance should work only for lord of different faction,other should pursue vengeance even of they know that the executed lords were scumbags. The ai priority should be you when in war rather than other lords that didn't executed anyone.

That's a good suggestion. If I beat the same Lord five times a day and release them each time only for them to come back to raid my village... That's absolutely a situation where one is likely to go "screw this, chop their head off"

Book of Grudges!!! I really like this idea, this could add extra layer of depth to very basic and arbitary mechanic, this could in theory could give you arcnemesis type of rivalries, imagine how satisfying it would be when you catch the sob finally

yes this is a glorious fix to a system that is currently lacking, one suggestion. Regardless of how much they deserved I think the penalties would stay in place for the clan of the executed person. Regardless of how evil they are killing somebodies dad is going to make them angry. (also I love the idea of two clans going full Hatfield and McCoy on each other)

Awesome idea and by tying it to actions like raiding villages/caravans and other disreputable actions it means even honourable lord can get in on the head chopping. Much better than random chance someone would go chop happy.

The only thing I am hesitant on is the mechanism for reducing the grievance especially with the economy the way it is. My inclination is it should only be done through actions. Therefore I'd say saving lord/village/caravan provides a positive = to half the negative for carrying out those actions and that therefore you could have a positive standing in the grievance stat too so that if you have been nothing but good to a clan, but then kill one of them it's effects would be lessened.

Awesome!

This kind of things will make sense and grant more immersion due to intelligent decisions and motivations while let the player play the game.

I believe this would be easy to do even with mods, so devs can do it in a day IMO. I stopped playing the game mid-way because this irritated me a lot and broke the immersion.

It's always bothered me, through the whole series, that I can interrupt a lord burning down MY fiefdom, and he has the audacity to act surprised that I'm upset about it.

Anything that can let me vent that botheration in a meaningful way is a yes from me. +1

Oh, I forgot to add a key point. Because every system should be reversible, there needs to be a way to reduce someone's grievance with you. So for one, the grievance score should decay slowly over time. And you could pay a hefty Blood Price to reduce it by a lot.
I really like this suggestion. And perhaps some of the grievances could be settled by a duel.

Therefore I'd say saving lord/village/caravan provides a positive = to half the negative for carrying out those actions and that therefore you could have a positive standing in the grievance stat too so that if you have been nothing but good to a clan, but then kill one of them it's effects would be lessened.
No no! If one of your "friends" kills your kin, you are likely more angry with him than you are with an unknown/random enemy lord.

IE - The random enemy killing your kin -> -30 relation
Your fiend killing you kin -> -60 relation

I def agree with this one.
The current system means that either you should go total kilmode or never do it.
There is no real point in it, since well yah I knocked out that guy who's raided my village for the n'th time so he sure aint going to do it no more.. but now everyone hates me..

Very good suggestion, a more logical implementation than the current system, i hope it will be added,
I was hopeful when i saw the top curated medal ? until in looked add the date

Back
Top Bottom