SP - General footsteps

Users who are viewing this thread

Interesting "old" tread. I am looking forward to new sounds.
I didn't know I wanted it, but now I hope there will be a more heavy massive marching sound.

Patch 1.6.2:
  • Added idle animation sounds for soldiers.
i will pay extra attention to this next time I play :smile:

Agreed. It is unmistakably immersion breaking not being able to hear larger numbers better than, say, about twenty soldiers.

That is something that always weirds me out too. You can hear a group of 30 horsemen approaching, but not the 300 footmen. Somehow, all those warriors walk like it’s a ballet.

There should be some sort of amplification of the sound, turning it into a rumble.

For immersion sake, some factions could even have a more coordinated rumble (empire, vlandia and maybe aserai)

They were trained in the ways of ninjutsu, of course. lol

What you were working on has already been released, right? This:
About the video, besides the sound stuttering I noticed that the sound volume has some fluctuations when you go along the formation (0:15s), probably has to do with the source of the sound being concentrated at single points. So even though you are at the same distance from units the sound volume is varying which is really immersion breaking.
Probably when you are playing the issue isn't as noticeable, but having some solution for this would be great.

I think an extra clash sounds, hit to shield, chainmail etc can be added if formations are in-contact, but fake clash sounds might be misleading for player so I'm not sure about this.
I agree with the rest of your points, I have also suggested this.
Introduce new sound effects for hits/impacts depending on armor (fabric, leather, mail and plate) and maybe weapon type (cut, pierce, blunt and projectiles).
Introduce new sound effects for character movement (e.g.: metal banging, clanking and rattling) also depending on movement and action (stationary, walking or fighting).
New sounds for weapon on weapon hits would also be great.
Besides this, the whole battle ambience needs more screaming, rumble, murmuring for each battle stance or phase, it really adds a lot.
@Kabraxis @Dorn you may have something planed already, it would be nice if you tell us what you think and maybe droop some details.

@Bloc What do I think? That's what we need (or what I would like to see implemented, very well done).

Practically every thread that has been opened referring to audio/ambient sound has been advocating for Taleworlds to somehow or other implement an ambient sound system analogous to Total War, very much along the lines of what you said in your other thread Bloc.

About the video, besides the sound stuttering I noticed that the sound volume has some fluctuations when you go along the formation (0:15s), probably has to do with the source of the sound being concentrated at single points. So even though you are at the same distance from units the sound volume is varying which is really immersion breaking.
Practically every thread that has been opened referring to audio/ambient sound has been advocating for Taleworlds to somehow or other implement an ambient sound system analogous to Total War, very much along the lines of what you said in your other thread Bloc.
Turns out this was actually a side effect/bug from my mod lol (:lol:) I thought they released it as a feature.. But at least this can show how nice and atmospheric it can be if they add it.

And now I know why it was concentered on single points. They are only making noise when bannermen is around and when they are high morale. Since I have total control over code now - I will change some stuff for it to make it sound more natural. Although still kudos to TW since apparently they fixed a bunch of issues on audio playing because in earlier versions of the beta, playing this many different sounds at the same time would cause trouble on my CPU.

So that was from a mod, well... nice mod, TW needs to catch up.
There is an immense need/opportunity to improve on the audio department.

Back
Top Bottom