Food consumption causing garrison to die

Users who are viewing this thread

I feel like It's almost impossible to maintain a garrison when the town prosperity gets high (like 13k+ onwards) due to the high food consumption from prosperity. Will there be any changes to address this? I would think off the top of my head that it would make sense for garrison food consumption to be factored in first as a "base" consumption of the town so that any food shortages caused by prosperity wouldn't cause the garrison to die (since in theory the garrison would be supported by making sure the army has first dibs on food before enabling the rest to go to the general market). This would also then see that during sieges, the garrison could still "starve" since the base consumption was not met. Would something like this be possible? It would also really be cool if we could get a wider variety of policies that could attract more caravans to the town, or to have a bigger effect on town prosperity (both upwards and downwards).

Secondly, it would also be great if as a ruler of a fief or a kingdom, you could arrange "objective" caravans to purchase and import goods from other cities to your cities directly. Such as what Rome did when they imported grain from Egypt. It could even go so far as to have to be approved by the other ruler. This way, it could ensure that cities have sufficient food for growth, or even form a basis for a declaration if such imports were denied or suddenly stopped.

Food consumption is designed as so in order to provide a soft cap for prospersity, so no food income at super high prospersity is completely ok since it is just the design.
Problem here is military food and civilian food market are not seperated. This has been a problem since release of Bannerlord, TalesWorld did try to fix it, but simply by increasing food production, so if your prospersity is not super high, you won't have this kind of problem. (Given you did not modify your game, 13k is obviously super high. As I can see, no town has 8k prospersity at the start of a new playthrough, and increasing rate of prospersity can hardly exceed 5 per day, which means it requires at least 17 years in game to reach 13k prospersity. It's rare to have such a long playthrough with current version of Bannerlord.)
As for your suggestion, tbh, I have proposed similar points at the second week of release(link provided); but as you can see, by now the only suggestion TalesWorld has taken is adding stash to castle. Hopefully they will do something in the future.

I feel like It's almost impossible to maintain a garrison when the town prosperity gets high (like 13k+ onwards) due to the high food consumption from prosperity. Will there be any changes to address this? I would think off the top of my head that it would make sense for garrison food consumption to be factored in first as a "base" consumption of the town so that any food shortages caused by prosperity wouldn't cause the garrison to die (since in theory the garrison would be supported by making sure the army has first dibs on food before enabling the rest to go to the general market). This would also then see that during sieges, the garrison could still "starve" since the base consumption was not met. Would something like this be possible? It would also really be cool if we could get a wider variety of policies that could attract more caravans to the town, or to have a bigger effect on town prosperity (both upwards and downwards).

Secondly, it would also be great if as a ruler of a fief or a kingdom, you could arrange "objective" caravans to purchase and import goods from other cities to your cities directly. Such as what Rome did when they imported grain from Egypt. It could even go so far as to have to be approved by the other ruler. This way, it could ensure that cities have sufficient food for growth, or even form a basis for a declaration if such imports were denied or suddenly stopped.
How did you get 13k prosperity? How late in the game is that? What I would do is crush a bunch of 2k prosperity towns and put my guys in there :smile:
I actually happy though my 5k town can support a 400 man garrison, which I don't recall being okay in older versions. Of course they day is coming for a great migration where my garrison will be spread out all over.....

How did you get 13k prosperity? How late in the game is that? What I would do is crush a bunch of 2k prosperity towns and put my guys in there :smile:
I actually happy though my 5k town can support a 400 man garrison, which I don't recall being okay in older versions. Of course they day is coming for a great migration where my garrison will be spread out all over.....
I don't know how to get 13k prospersity, I simply quote it from the original posting:
I feel like It's almost impossible to maintain a garrison when the town prosperity gets high (like 13k+ onwards)

It has indeed been a super long playthrough. My game is unmodded with no cheats. I focused on trading and bought over Zeonica for about 4mil denars if I recall correctly. At that time, the town was already almost at 10k prosperity, since it had never been attacked, and its villages were seldom raided. After buying it over, I changed the daily focus of the town to irrigation to try and help the villages keep up with the growth of the city. It was enough to sustain it for awhile, but as soon as prosperity hit about 12k it started running into issues. I bought Grain and other food items to store in the stash of the city, and sold them occasionally which helped to stave off starvation a little, but even so, its a very manual process (I wish i could delegate someone to buy food for the city). This helped to sustain the prosperity to about 13.2k but i'm finding it tedious to keep an eye on this just to sustain my garrison in the city, especially with war with the kuzhaits currently happening. I'm managing to still defend my villages against raids and so on, but without me manually releasing food to the market, it seems like my garrison is due to just die out.

I would do that (crushing 2k prosperity cities), if only I had the option of keeping the fiefs I crush myself. The thing is each time after conquering a city, I have to choose which lord to grant the city to, and my name is never on the list =/. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense for me to not be able to have a fixed city as a powerbase... regardless, it seems that castles seem to have negative prosperity so I'm exploring if it might be feasible to use those to store my troops, specifically Onica castle since it's near to Zeonica.

It has indeed been a super long playthrough. My game is unmodded with no cheats. I focused on trading and bought over Zeonica for about 4mil denars if I recall correctly. At that time, the town was already almost at 10k prosperity, since it had never been attacked, and its villages were seldom raided. After buying it over, I changed the daily focus of the town to irrigation to try and help the villages keep up with the growth of the city. It was enough to sustain it for awhile, but as soon as prosperity hit about 12k it started running into issues. I bought Grain and other food items to store in the stash of the city, and sold them occasionally which helped to stave off starvation a little, but even so, its a very manual process (I wish i could delegate someone to buy food for the city). This helped to sustain the prosperity to about 13.2k but i'm finding it tedious to keep an eye on this just to sustain my garrison in the city, especially with war with the kuzhaits currently happening. I'm managing to still defend my villages against raids and so on, but without me manually releasing food to the market, it seems like my garrison is due to just die out.

I would do that (crushing 2k prosperity cities), if only I had the option of keeping the fiefs I crush myself. The thing is each time after conquering a city, I have to choose which lord to grant the city to, and my name is never on the list =/. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense for me to not be able to have a fixed city as a powerbase... regardless, it seems that castles seem to have negative prosperity so I'm exploring if it might be feasible to use those to store my troops, specifically Onica castle since it's near to Zeonica.
Is this a game started in 1.5.5 or 1.5.6? I guess you have to take out your garrison and see what happens.

That's not the problem, that is intended to support the village raiding approach instead of having to siege every holding.
I dont understand your points. What I want to say is that in settlement, food income that help prospersity grow is supposed to be seperated from military consumption. For example, settlement has stash, so the lord is supposed to be able to store food in stash for his/her garrison, so when there is food shortage on civillian market, the garrison can still be fed. Or more advanced, allow lord to choose whether to share food in stash with civillian during food shortage time, or allow garrsion to purchase food from market when price is below a designed threshold at lord's absence.

The fix is only acceptible as a stop-gap. More prosperous towns should support larger garrison without starvation. The relationship is inverted. Larger, more prosperous town = smaller garrison or starvation. There should be a simple cap on garrison size based on prosperity + modifiers from building upgrades (with a buffer so if prosperity drops a few levels the garrison remains).

No starvation should be happening unless there is a seige. Raids on caravans should only effect population / prosperity of city. In a city of 10k+ people, why am I going to let my 500 troops starve because a couple caravans were raided or because it has grown too large, too prosperous?

Its Autistic. The food / starvation / prosperity in cities, has been unnecessarily tied into other broken systems wrapping them into one big mess. Troops in cities eat money, not food. The logic should be simple, but for TW it is complicated and not yet fixed.

Last edited:
Use the Garrison 3.0 mod and solve all garrisons problems

Takeaway from this:

Garrison transfers:
Player should be able to view all garrisons and order 30 or more selected troops to travel from one garrison to another over the map.

Guard parties:
Troops from garrison should be automated to patrol supporting villages as set by player.

Recruiter parties:
Garrison should be automated to be restocked with fresh recruits as set by player from protected villages.

Garrison training:
Fresh recruits should be trained to base level of competence overtime. (In-game with upgrades)

Starvation:
Garrison should be uneffected by food, except in case of siege.

I dont understand your points.

Garrisons starving when there isnt enough food is the intended mechanic. Like, they deliberately went out of their way to make this happen because the dev wants there to be multiple approaches to the problem of a strongly garrisoned town, rather than just getting an even bigger army and assaulting it.

They reduced the initial numbers because it was frustrating for new players, but they didn't remove it, even though it is trivially easy to do so. Right now starvation is painfully slow; begins at -20 food and you lose 1 man for each additional -10 so even at a massive -120, that's only 11 troops you're losing per day.

High prosperity towns break things, like in the OP, but that's because the system wasn't designed for them to go so high. That's why the flavor text (town is prosperous...) caps out well before 10,000 prosperity.

Back
Top Bottom