e1.7.0
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

Hummingbird

Recruit
Hello!
Since e1.7.0, a lot of Korean players are enjoying the game with Korean translation.
After a months of gameplay, I could organize some feedbacks of Korean font from Korean M&B Community.

Now I'm going to report them here:

Screenshots & Description:

5.jpg

1. Current font size is too big. Just like the picture above, unnecessary '-' is being added. Please reduce Korean font size.

6.jpg
> English (two types of font)

7.jpg
> Korean (single type)

2. Unlike other languages(English, Portugues, Italiano, etc), Korean language only uses single type of font(UnDotumKR).
The problem of this font is that it lacks some korean fonts, causing some words to be missing. In addition, readability of current Korean font is terribly bad(font width is too longer than height), and also, the design of it doesn't fit to original English font design.

This isn't my personal opinion. After first release of e1.7.0, a lot of Korean players switched their game language to 'Korean', but many of them reported that current font seems to have poor legibility and design. If you would like to check detailed feedbacks of font, you may visit our Korean M&B community:
https://cafe.naver.com/warband (since 2010, 194k members)

In short, we would like to suggest two things:
1. Please change default font(UnDotumKR) to NanumGothic / 2. And add new type of font (NanumMyeonjo)

NanumGothic is one of the most popular Korean fonts used in Korea, made by NHN Corporation, 14 years ago.
It is licensed under Open Font License, and commercial usage is allowed.
It has already been mainly adopted for Korean translation of games nearly since 10 years ago, showing its readability has already been proven.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Nanum+Gothic

A lot of Korean players are already using this font by custom user mods, but they are too unstable to play with.
We would like this font to be applied as default font in Bannerlord.

Also, we want another type of font to be added: NanumMyeongjo.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Nanum+Myeongjo
Comparing with the second picture I posted, NanumGothic stands with blue boxed font, and NanumMyeonjo stands with yellow boxed one.

We understand that adding or changing font is quite a tough job in development, but due to font, currently many of Korean players are experiencing great inconvenience. We desperately hope TaleWorlds will take this issue seriously and accept the suggestion so that existing Korean players can relieve their inconvenience and invite more new Korean players to Bannerlord.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you for your report.

I implemented Nanum Gothic internally. I also added a new parameter to the font file, customScale that would scale the fonts up or down depending on the output and the font. Modders will be able to use this as well. With that, I'm planning on scaling down the Korean font around %15 but I'll do some additional tweaking to find the sweet spot.

Scale at 1(original):
NxChF.jpg

Scale at 0.85(reduced %15)
UndiB.jpg

For the two different types of fonts, we have no plans to support more than one font for a language, except English. We already have memory constraints currently and we don't necessarily have room to spare for these fonts. Modders are welcome to support them. It should be relatively easy with {MOD_MODULE_NAME}Languages.xml defined in the mod, mapping Galahad to NanumMyeongjo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom