Follow that spy mission? How to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

miollnir

Recruit
I fail to understand HOW to do this mission. I mean, all of it. I see no spy, I don't know what to follow, how to follow, what to do in general.
Tutorial on this strange mission, someone?

Also, how do you manage to FOLLOW some bandits to their lair? I just randomly patrol everywhere, since the guys flee me in terror if I am with my troops, or charge me like crazy if I am (almost) alone. They never "return to their base" as say in the mission speech.

Here's a tip, stay on a distance so they don't flee from you, you will see when you hover over them it will say what they are doing. It will say 'travelling" normally it is "patrolling". Just follow them to where they are travelling and there will the hideout be.

Hmm I tried that, but even with a good spotting (6 or so) they seems to spot me from across the universe and run like hell. OK, I guess fair is fair since I killed something like 1K of them already, but still...

But thanks. I will try to score more spotting, maybe then I can ninja them...

As for the spy mission (you have to follow the spy to his master and capture them)?
Help?

For the spy mission you need good tracking skills, path finding helps too; watch which direction the spy travels after exiting the town, and then follow his trail. If you manage to catch up to them in the daylight, the tracking is fairly easy; but often you'll have to keep following the trail through the night, which means you have to stick close to the arrows to see them, and sometimes guess in which direction the next one is going to be. After you catch up, you need to knock out the riders on the white horses with a blunt weapon; you can either use the "blunt weapons only" order, and hope they obey (sometimes they seem to shoot arrows regardless), or you can tell everyone to hold position at the start, lead the targets away, then knock them out yourself. Currently in warband the two spy parties don't fuse properly like they did in the previous version, so you'll need to attack twice: a group of 9 or so, and another of 1.

alternatively you can accept it and just not bother to follow and eventually you will bump into the spy. the spy runs off to a part of the map and waits. Here you have to then just knock them out and you need to capture an ordenary traverler and another one. possibly suspecious im not sure. When i did it i attacked them and won and then 1 person was left and i had to attack again to get him and he was the ordinary traverler. There is no time limit so it doesn't matter if you find them a year later, it will be a blue caravan which is waiting somewhere with about 5/6 peoplke

Vornne said:
For the spy mission you need good tracking skills
Not really, you only need enough to distinguish party size, not sure if that comes at skill level 1 or 2. Since the spy is the only 1-man party in the game, picking out his trail is not difficult.

you can either use the "blunt weapons only" order, and hope they obey (sometimes they seem to shoot arrows regardless)
You can prevent that by ordering them not to shoot. The problem I have with "blunt only" is that most troops aren't equipped with a blunt backup weapon, so they end up trying to punch out the enemies with their fists, which needless to say isn't particularly effective.

Currently in warband the two spy parties don't fuse properly like they did in the previous version, so you'll need to attack twice: a group of 9 or so, and another of 1.
They fuse perfectly for me, the problem I have is that sometimes they don't separate properly when they notice me and instead of separating, the spy just disappears without a trace.

i had to attack twice as well. If you tell an army of knights to attack with blunts they instead stop still and will not attack, luckly my companions have blunt weapons so they did the dirty work while 80 knights stood watching the show.

When you accept the spy mission, it will automatically put you into a "wait for some time" mode.  The spy can be seen to zip right out the castle as soon as your view is switched to overland map (the view you have when traveling around).  Then you have to track him; his tracks are the only one with 1 person in the party.  Tracks can grow cold so you should be able to travel at a decent rate or the tracks will eventually disappear.  If you get too close he runs off so keep your distance.

Finally he'll meet an enemy group and they'll merge for a short time before he breaks off and heads a different way again.  Ideally you want to attack them when they are merged and command your men to use blunt weapons.  You want the Ordinary Citizen and Suspicious Characters (so you need to be able to take prisoners as well).

Also, don't forget to put at least a point in prisoner management, or you won't be able to take them prisoner.
Found out that the hard way, and this quest is the only reason I spent that single point on that skill.

Hello, well, i don't know what to do. I wait hours close to Smolensk(the warlord says that the spy would leave that city), but i don't know who or where is the spy! Please, help me!

I've never been able to complete the spy mission in Warband (t'was fairly straightforward in original M&B), so I always turn it down. As soon as the spies spot my party (which they always do) they zip off in two different directions at light speed. The main group heads straight for a near village and disappears, while the spy heads back to town on his own; moving too fast for a group of heroes to catch, let alone a reasonable sized war party. So - just don't bother with it.

1) Make sure you (or a companion) have some points in tracking.
2) Follow the small tracking path, it's marked as army size 1.
3) After you catch up to the spy you attack and make sure you don't kill anyone; a.k.a. only use blunt weapons or ram them with your horse.

Easy.

gloops said:
I've never been able to complete the spy mission in Warband (t'was fairly straightforward in original M&B), so I always turn it down. As soon as the spies spot my party (which they always do) they zip off in two different directions at light speed. The main group heads straight for a near village and disappears, while the spy heads back to town on his own; moving too fast for a group of heroes to catch, let alone a reasonable sized war party. So - just don't bother with it.
You do have points in pathfinding, yes?

Uhm,I know it's cheating, but if you really want to find the spy, you can hit ctrl+t (world map) and then look up the spy. when you find him, hold down ctrl and click on the ground next to him . This will teleport you right next to the spy.

Back
Top Bottom