Fog of War

Users who are viewing this thread

Insta_Buzz

Recruit
This new feature is killing me. Right now I'm stopping in every town possible looking for a companion to assign to my castle. I'm early in this game and don't have a lot of denars. I was granted a castle, but now have been at peace for what seems like eternity. Castle is an expense because of low loyalty. Can't build because construction is a zero because of low loyalty. Festivals and Games daily attribute isn't affecting anything. So I'm looking for a governor with the same culture to offset some of the negative loyalty stats. But now instead of looking in the Encyclopedia for where companions are, I have to scour the countryside. I've been in 80% of the empire towns and cannot find an empire companion.

We should be able to ask barkeeps or other wanderers about the whereabouts of others.

I just posted this another topic about this, but yeah I agree it adds nothing but an annoyance.

I just don't understand how they came to the idea that obscuring the outfit, age and top stats of a npc is in any way possibly improving the game. It only annoys some players and some (like me) don't care at all because we consider all wanderers equally crap and know which lords have the gear/stats already, SO it just annoys some people for no reason.
AND At the same time Leaving in location of unknown, location of enemy what does TW think a FOW is for?

What it should be is you don't know where enemy parties are and when you see ANY PARTY on the map at a certain distance you see a generic party, only closer do you see what faction and even close do you see the power, even this could be obscured and maybe be revealed by scouting skill.

But just not knowing if the marriage offer is for the young one or the granny..... yeah you just undermine a feature you already wasted time adding (marriage offers) and annoy some players. I don't care because I'll take the free granny as I will take the map before baby can turn 7 anyways. But i understand and agree that this is a problem for other players.

Also it's horrible that the town info is hidden but THE AI STILL CHEATS and knows omnisciently what the garrisons and stats of every fief are, what villages have recruits or food for sale an so on.

It should be they choose their targets based on proximity and commit to the siege, not just heat seeking missile to the weakest always. This would also add a little value to castles and out lying fiefs even if TW refuses to add any actual mechanic for them.

I too find this change baffling and to not improve the game in any way, thus far.

I'm not against trying to make more ~realistic limits to the player's knowledge of the game world for the sake of adding challenge, but this doesn't seem to accomplish that in any meaningful way.

It can be a good addiction to spice up a little bit the replay value of the game. You need some how to accept some bad companion, then maybe you find a good one and you change it, feeling yourself lucky. It adds some RNG, which is ok in a game you usually do more than one campaign. They probably don't want players to power gaming too much by choosing always the best possible option to optimize your party/clan. I'm fine with that, i mean the idea is not bad. But if the implementation is not fully fleshed out it can be a problem. For example, if you get a marriage proposal what about having some text to describe your potential wife attributes, skills and traits ? You don't have numbers but at least you have an idea ( so you get RNG without leaving the player completely blind ).

They probably don't want players to power gaming too much by choosing always the best possible option to optimize your party/clan.

Too late for that lol. The entire perk system is all about powergaming and stacking tiny percentages to maximise efficiency. To then add the polar opposite of that, a system that hides information from the player, is a massive game design contradiction that can't be resolved.

They probably don't want players to power gaming too much by choosing always the best possible option to optimize your party/clan.
This isn't Dark Souls, this game is a power fantasy you're suppose to get op at some point. Second if they didn't want players power gaming why would they leave in exploits like smithing? It trivializes making money and you can literally buy every settlement if you want. The reason that this system is so bad is because no one at Taleworlds thought about the ramifications of making such a change. My guess is they saw some complaints and said hey here's an easy fix and this is the end product.

The reason that this system is so bad is because no one at Taleworlds thought about the ramifications of making such a change. My guess is they saw some complaints and said hey here's an easy fix and this is the end product.
I don't even get what they're going for here, it's an ENCYCLOPEDIA, not a journal, what sense would it even make for it to gather information from your actions? You should present the player with access to the information you intend for them to have to progress in the game.

I've said this a lot, but FOW for ACTAUL WAR like enemy locations and parties on the map would make sense, but obscuring stats and appearance is nonsense. They could at least show you this stuff when you get sent and marriage proposal. Also, they could show it for wanderers too, how do you know their name and where they are but nobody could tell you their skills?

This isn't Dark Souls, this game is a power fantasy you're suppose to get op at some point. Second if they didn't want players power gaming why would they leave in exploits like smithing? It trivializes making money and you can literally buy every settlement if you want. The reason that this system is so bad is because no one at Taleworlds thought about the ramifications of making such a change. My guess is they saw some complaints and said hey here's an easy fix and this is the end product.

For me there's nothing wrong to add a little bit of RNG to the game. Players acting like having subpar companions will crush in pieces your campaign while it is not by any stretch of imagination. I 100% agree this feature needs more work but i can understand why it is there.

My thoughts exactly.

I think they came across that thread that claimed this game was "too easy" and took offence.

So they nerfed companions, nerfed workshops, nerfed the wiki, nerfed smithing...

And all these features and more became either irrelevant or annoying.

If they want to have this fow nonsense they should at least:

1. Make companions last much longer

2. Prevent npcs from teleporting from one edge of the map to the other.

Players should have the option to complete the wiki in an organic, non grinding way just by playing the game. That would be good design.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly.

I think they came across that thread that claimed this game was "too easy" and took offence.

So they nerfed companions, nerfed workshops, nerfed the wiki, nerfed smithing...

And all these features and more became either irrelevant or annoying.

If they want to have this fow nonsense they should at least:

1. Make companions last much longer

2. Prevent npcs from teleporting from one edge of the map to the other.

Players should have the option to complete the wiki in an organic, non grinding way just by playing the game. That would be good design.
Agree.

Fog of war SUCKS! Until they make this optional there's no way in hell I'm starting a new game. I do have to work for a living..Who has hours and hours of time to blindly scour the map hoping to find a companion that may have the skills necessary for the job? Not to mention all the other time consuming fog of war stuff you have to deal with. Make it optional please.

I've thought about this post a bunch of times. Like with most of the strategy games coming out now, infinite post-release patches have given developers free reign to "balance" every unintended mechanic out of existence until the only way to play is the way the developers do.

The real head scratcher to me is that the damn thing was applied to campaigns already in progress. Totally throwing a monkey wrench into the grandchildrens dating lives. :xf-frown:

Back
Top Bottom