SP - Battles & Sieges "Focus Fire" command and commanding your siege engines

Users who are viewing this thread

Simple as, sometimes I don't want to waste a volley at the 5 Bucellarii idiots that are hanging around the back while the Legionaries are closing in. Sometimes, I realize that I've already won the skirmish so I just want to focus down the infantry, or the other way around. I also really hate my catapult crews.

The game is already plenty capable of recognizing different divisions, so I want another step further: make F4 a proper drop down command menu, where F1 is Hold Fire/Fire at Will, while F2 is "Focus Fire/Aim freely", and it could work either by:
  • The division icons you see while pressing "Alt" show up, and using a similar logic as to how town icons show up and are highlighted if you aim them, you do the same with the division that should be focused
  • Just straight up another menu where you need to press the required F of the division (F1 infantry, F2 archers, F3 Right Flank Cavalry...)
Ideally, if none of their preferred targets is in range, they should be firing at the closest target they want to take care of as the AI does normally

Now, while this would be a neat change, if one of my 50 Fians is firing at horse archers instead of the infantry it's not that big of a deal. However, when one of my 4 catapults doesn't do its job it really shows. In general, you can't really do much in sieges, part of it is that the AI does an ok job anyway, but this is quite the exception.
I just can't control my siege crews. They're no longer my soldiers. They're free now, so if they decide that it's better to use a manganel shot at a scattered formation of archers, well, I'm just gonna have to suck it up. Mind you, this applies to both attackers and defenders.

There are some ways to solve this. The first, is to just give unusually large weight to siege equipment when they need to choose a target. Quick, easy, won't really solve the underlying issue but atleast it's gonna make it a tiny bit bearable.
IF you do go ahead and implement my "Focus Fire" suggestion, you could go ahead and try to make each siege weapon a division in and of itself. This could also allow attackers a bit of control when commanding, and, let's not forget, I can get a companion to level up engineering skill more easily by assigning them as a captain of a siege weapon crew, maybe you could even considering captain skills for that purpose.

The focus fire issue has been in demand practically since the closed alpha/beta period of 2019. That said, a vast majority of the community is in favour of its implementation.

Certainly, in my opinion, a focus fire tool implemented through round UI which was discussed here, seems much more interesting in my eyes than yours (no offense).

On the other hand, I like part of your proposal; however I think it would be better to implement a focus/engage tool for non ranged troops through those division icons as you say but activated with a marker position banner style...something along the lines of what offered Viking Conquest (source commented of mine)

Last edited:
The focus fire issue has been in demand practically since the closed alpha/beta period of 2019. That said, a vast majority of the community is in favour of its implementation.

Certainly, in my opinion, a focus fire tool implemented through round UI which was discussed here, seems much more interesting in my eyes than yours (no offense).

On the other hand, I like part of your proposal; however I think it would be better to implement a focus/engage tool for non ranged troops through those division icons as you say but activated with a marker position banner style...something along the lines of what offered Viking Conquest (source commented of mine)
Weirdly enough, when typing the exact words "Focus Fire", that thread didn't show up in the "Has this been discussed before?" tab. Will read that thread instead

Weirdly enough, when typing the exact words "Focus Fire", that thread didn't show up in the "Has this been discussed before?" tab. Will read that thread instead
Yes... ? Believe me when I tell you that this and other relevant topics have been discussed time and time again over the years both here and across different platforms. It seems that the only unaware here is Taleworlds.

Of course giving honest feedback as you have done is not at all criticisable, I have merely provided you with one relevant thread among many of equal status.

It's always good to say what you want though
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...want-to-feel-in-command-i-hate-the-ai.445976/
This seems a tough one to get across to TW though. There's so many situations where we need to focus down the archer or horse archers and leave the distant SW troops alone, or the opposite and ignore HA and focus on the close threat, it's really not okay to depend on the TW AI. Plus it been a loooooooooooooong time since they said "oh but we're going to make the AI better so..." well you didn't do it, please just let use target groups at other groups. really no matter how good they make the AI I want the commands so I can feel IN COMMAND.

This is literally the exact system I wanted implemented, in fact I literally went out of my way to go to the forums to type it up and you did it for me! That is exactly how I'd want it implemented, have the icons show up (just like holding alt), and while you hold the button if you let go over the icon (or an area!) they'll focus that specific unit or troops in that area. But they should definitely make it so that if troops are being attacked the soldiers near by help and kill it, I've seen suggestions where they're supposed to ignore getting stabbed and keep firing, which is ridiculous. But year, thanks for saving me the entire thing I was gonna type, so you get this instead :smile:

Back
Top Bottom