Flora Enhancement Mod v1.2

Users who are viewing this thread

killkhergit

Squire
Flora Enhancement Mod

[br]

[br]

As you can see, this mod's made to enhance the flora in Mount&Blade. The models are made of a trunk, branches, and a combination of three quads positioned on "0,0,0", rotated 45 degrees, and pointing towards x, y and z. A leaf image has been applied to those quads. Multiply that mesh by a lot, spread them in a realistic tree shape, and there's your real tree. Conifers use tapered planes as a needle surface.

Version 1.21, 12-9-2009 --> no repository upload, for testers only. Ask me via PM if you're interested.

- Copied and modified the flora shader so it now supports 2-sided lighting.

Version 1.2, 29-7-2009 --> https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=1&id=1410

- Fixed a bug in the installer that prevented Windows' Software management from finding the installer.
- Fixed (sometimes: removed) some bumpmaps, alpha + normal doesn't work with the dot3_alpha shader.
- Optimized tree_1_a,tree_1_b,tree_2_a,tree_2_b.

Version 1.1, 29-7-2009

- Fixed a bug in flora_kinds.txt.
Me said:
It's fixed. Here's what went wrong: there used to be two seperate snowy pines (the white and the greener one). Named snowy_pine and tree_snowy. I both named them pines because they're, well, pines. Then I changed the tree_snowy list in flora_kinds to "tree_snowy,flag,0", where the 0 means the list is 0 items long. Compiled o.k., but didn't work ingame...
- Applied some more bumpmaps.
- Optimized aspen_a,aspen_b,aspen_c.
- The two snowy pines now aren't separated anymore in battles for better variation.

Version 1.0, 17-7-2009

- Replaced most trees, except tall_tree_a.
- Replaced a few bushes, like bushes_2_x.
- Applied some bumpmaps here and there.
- Added a test-phase conifer.
- Combined everything into a handy installer.
- Works with any mod that does not alter/rely-on-the-stock flora_kinds.txt/the 5 tree brf's.
- Hope the mod also works for the Steam version of MnB.

How to install:

Run the installer.

You want to use stuff from this mod in your mod? Just ask me (via PM). Do with it as you wish.

Thanks to:

Janus, for the installer script, mbrepository
Thorgrim, BRFedit
Me,  :lol:

Looks great, we have finnaly new trees! If you don't mind, I'll include it in my mod, of course if you give me permission.

winrehs007 said:
I checked Repository and I can't find your mod...Is out already..?? :cool:

"Download almost available (requested on repository)"

killkhergit said:
Kolba said:
Looks great, we have finnaly new trees! If you don't mind, I'll include it in my mod, of course if you give me permission.

Here's your permission.  :grin:

Thank you very much!

Good one killkhergit. I can definitely see this being implemented in future mods.

BTW, does anyone know if this works with GE2.5? I have no idea which mods alter what textures.

Adorno said:
Those trees look really good. Flora is too underrated.

Huh? I don't understand.

Adorno said:
Have you noticed any lag in performance?

Yes, quite a bit. Fps halved to 50 with a 9600gt in forests in combination with a decent army (75+). Why? The larger trees use up to 2000 tris each. But once question one (see first post) has been fixed, tricount will almost be split half. On top of that, the models haven't been optimized yet.

killkhergit said:
Adorno said:

Huh? I don't understand.

Adorno meant that trees and such are under appreciated. Probably because of below:

killkhergit said:
Adorno said:

Yes, quite a bit. Fps halved to 50 with a 9600gt in forests in combination with a decent army (75+). Why? The larger trees use up to 2000 tris each. But once question one (see first post) has been fixed, tricount will almost be split half. On top of that, the models haven't been optimized yet.

I'll wait for the halved and optimised version then, will definitely want to see these in my game! :wink:

Rath0s said:
Looks good downloading...

I see you aked if you can use lod on trees, Just make a crappy lod1 and you will quick see if you can use lod.  :mrgreen:

Tried that, but BRFedit can't keep the lod/no-lod submeshes separated... Result: mess.

By the way, anyone tested the installer on Steam-MnB yet?

amade said:
killkhergit said:
Adorno said:

Huh? I don't understand.

Adorno meant that trees and such are under appreciated. Probably because of below:

killkhergit said:
Adorno said:

I'll wait for the halved and optimised version then, will definitely want to see these in my game! :wink:

Chalk up another excitedly waiting old-computer fella. I am very excited for this mod; all the bloodshed makes me appreciate a nice walk or ride through pretty trees and wildflowers more. Thank you for doing this, the new flora looks almost as good as actually getting up out of the chair and going outside! :mrgreen:

I was about to uninstall M&B to make way for Prototype (temporarily ofcourse) but the trees make me want to play again right now!
Awesome work.

killkhergit said:
mcdodd said:
"(...Talk about 2-sided single face Zulu shield...) There are several programs that will allow you to set the polygons to double sided but I tended to use Deep Exploration as it was easiest to preview a render. I then had to use a slightly different shader set via BRF Editor but I can't recall which one it was. I am pretty sure it was Texture Multiple Colour with Blend and Blend Add selected... (Which doesn't work on those darned leaves) The effect was you could see the reverse of the cowhide from the back of the shield.(Which would be the holy grail for this mod)"

Do you have a link to the thread the discussion took place in or was this in a PM? I've been wondering how to do 2-sided texturing too.

amade said:
killkhergit said:
mcdodd said:
"(...Talk about 2-sided single face Zulu shield...) There are several programs that will allow you to set the polygons to double sided but I tended to use Deep Exploration as it was easiest to preview a render. I then had to use a slightly different shader set via BRF Editor but I can't recall which one it was. I am pretty sure it was Texture Multiple Colour with Blend and Blend Add selected... (Which doesn't work on those darned leaves) The effect was you could see the reverse of the cowhide from the back of the shield.(Which would be the holy grail for this mod)"
Do you have a link to the thread the discussion took place in or was this in a PM? I've been wondering how to do 2-sided texturing too.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,59240.0.html

Ah, so you're done.

Actually, does any of the more CG savvy users know if it's actually possible to do two sided texturing without the double amount of faces/vertices? After all, the other side has to be lit differently.

Soil said:
Ah, so you're done.

On my way, not done yet. :smile:

Soil said:
Actually, does any of the more CG savvy users know if it's actually possible to do two sided texturing without the double amount of faces/vertices? After all, the other side has to be lit differently.

OpenGL has a two-sided option:

http://www.opengl.org/resources/code/samples/glut_examples/examples/examples.html (Search for 'two-sided')

So does DirectX's Shader Model 3.0:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Level_Shader_Language (Look for Face Register)

And don't forget about 3dsMax, which has a 2-sided shader option...

killkhergit said:
Soil said:

OpenGL has a two-sided option:

http://www.opengl.org/resources/code/samples/glut_examples/examples/examples.html (Search for 'two-sided')

So does DirectX's Shader Model 3.0:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Level_Shader_Language (Look for Face Register)

And don't forget about 3dsMax, which has a 2-sided shader option...

Blender supports 2-sided texturing too, but even though it shows up right in Blender it still doesn't show up as 2-sided in BRFedit and in the game. So I'm wondering if it's some sort of setting I have to use in BRFedit.

Back
Top Bottom