Floating helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Last edited:
Solution
Its ok im pretty new to this too, but this should hopefully work:

Ok heres what I just did and got it to work:
Skeleton file to download:

Step 1:
Open Tpac and export with the following settings, if the file you want to edit IS NOT a .dae with those settings it should still work but I cant guarantee it. Also dont worry about the folders i export to, thats just where i put stuff, as long as you can open the file in blender it doesnt matter at this point.
uxHTP9v.jpg

9PZZ4jg.jpg

Step 2:
Open Blender and Import your file as .dae, or if it wasnt a .dae you are editing, import as the...
Hi everyone,

I was trying to import a helmet mesh and this happened.

I followed this guide to the letter and the helmet still floats:
Specifically I used the "parent with automatic weights" option in blender.

Aside from that tutorial, I have done nothing else.

Link of the image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EImBJfI-MPhThjShnYRI8xWQmR1MfdNb/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!

I had problems with helmets too, turns out they are slightly different from other armors.
If you have discord I can send you some information tomorrow and a skeleton that they will attach to and should work as couldn’t get it to fit to that skeleton either.

Or there is a rough guide here what I had to do at the end of page 1:

I think I missed out in that post the step where you need to weight paint it to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi there!

Thanks for the reply!

unfortunately I am not too familiar with discord, will my email work instead?

and thanks for the video! I have read your that post of yours but maybe since I am too new to this I have absolutely no idea what to do yet.

thanks again! I'll try it out and let you know.

Edit: I think I should mention that I am using the base_head.dae and not the full body.

Upvote 0
Its ok im pretty new to this too, but this should hopefully work:

Ok heres what I just did and got it to work:
Skeleton file to download:

Step 1:
Open Tpac and export with the following settings, if the file you want to edit IS NOT a .dae with those settings it should still work but I cant guarantee it. Also dont worry about the folders i export to, thats just where i put stuff, as long as you can open the file in blender it doesnt matter at this point.
uxHTP9v.jpg

9PZZ4jg.jpg

Step 2:
Open Blender and Import your file as .dae, or if it wasnt a .dae you are editing, import as the appropriate file ( like .obj for example)
3pH8B74.jpg

YkyFbw7.jpg

Step 3:
It should appear like this, if it doesnt have a skeleton, dont worry you can just skip the step of deleting it:
7tcKtLe.jpg

So Click on the skeleton (on the model, not the name in the right panel)
DELETE IT, it will look like this:
TXX0ZCz.jpg

STEP 4:
Go to file - import - .fbx
OOHPvgQ.jpg

Import the skeleton file from the link included in this post
HWgurFQ.jpg

STEP 5:
A skeleton will appear:
2qKqHtg.jpg

It may be the wrong way around so adjust the helm to fit
Also up in the right panel you may see a duplicated light and camera, it is ok to delete these to save on clutter
CZipDeS.jpg

STEP 6:
I make a quick edit to the helmet of whatever I want to do:
dFoJCKk.jpg

Next you will want to click the helmet (make sure your in object mode in the top left options) hold shift and click on the skeleton, then cntrl + P and then "with automatic weights"
l1q3vpX.jpg

STEP 7:
Make sure to rename the skeletons with _not used at the end, also rename your helm so it doesnt conflict with base game helmets:
rKb6lR8.jpg

STEP 8:
Select the Skeleton, hold shift and select the helmet, then go to weight paint mode in the top left.
ZFLJJNs.jpg

The helmet should then change color (it may not be blue, we will get to that in a sec):
lnLijZK.jpg

STEP 9:
Go to this icon in the bottom right, the little green triangle and find the - here:
7AQF37z.jpg

Click the - for every single thing on the list EXCEPT HEAD, Like this (again dont worry just yet if your helm is a different color)
wESbkN1.jpg

STEP 10:
Now go to Brush - Add
HXh9ZC9.jpg

Make sure on the right panel the option "head" is selected, it should already be selected since its the only thing left
Then you need to paint the helm all over red with weight paint, make sure to go inside the helm as well and if you find a section wont paint over, increase the radius or strength at the top.
This should be the finished product:
jYOcPKq.jpg

STEP 11:
Export the whole file as a .fbx to your mod folder as shown in above image.
Make sure the following settings are set:
YQDr8Sz.jpg

Make sure "add leaf bones" is NOT selected
And also that “selected objects” is NOT selected

STEP 12:
Open bannerlord mod tools, open resource browser and click this icon and select your file:
0Br5mnH.jpg

STEP 13:
Make sure the setting is set to "m":
UaiJCxr.jpg

STEP 14:
Open model viewer
85hudHR.jpg

Add entity, select human:
roNyHVi.jpg

STEP 15:
Go to item1, select your helm, it may appear off but you can correct that in blender (to edit again in blender you can import to blender as fbx your finished file then export as fbx with the settings above)
Set the bone to head for helms.
Click animation and select one to see if your helm works. As you can see I forgot to turn the helm 180 in blender so you can always go back and adjust it.
6u95JPL.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'll check it out soon and let you know!
Ok hopefully that will work.

Also don’t forgot to add an items .Xml file for the in game item, and remember to change the “mesh” in the xml to whatever you renamed the helmet in blender to or it might be invisible.
If you haven’t got that far yet I’ll make a template for you to use.

Upvote 0
Ok hopefully that will work.

Also don’t forgot to add an items .Xml file for the in game item, and remember to change the “mesh” in the xml to whatever you renamed the helmet in blender to or it might be invisible.
If you haven’t got that far yet I’ll make a template for you to use.
Hi again!

For some reason I can't get the helmet to work, it keeps floating even though I am following the steps you laid out.

I'll go ahead and document my steps

Upvote 0
Hi again!

For some reason I can't get the helmet to work, it keeps floating even though I am following the steps you laid out.

I'll go ahead and document my steps

You many also need to enable skimming

To do that youll need to open resource broswer and create a new material (or use existing one if you have one for your item, but you will still need a copy in your mod folder as you cant edit the base game materials)
Right click on resource browser in your own folder.
BXA3c0Z.jpg

Then double click on your material:
85wLftM.jpg

Right at the bottom of the materials is Vertex layout: Then Enable skimming and save the materail:
JhXnTc5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Step 1
I imported the skeleton you sent me.

Step 2
I imported the helmet (obj format)

Step 3
I move it into place at the head bone.

Step 4.
I shift clicked helmet first then skeleton and set parent with automatic weights with ctrl+p

Step 5.
I shift clicked the skeleton then the helmet and get into weight paint.

Step 6
I use the (-) sign for everything except the head.

Step 7
I use the add brush to paint the whole helmet red.

Step 8
I exported the helmet and skeleton as fbx with both the 'selected objects' and 'add leaf bones' not selected.

Step 9
I imported the fbx file into bannerlord modding tool and loaded it in model viewer.

Step 10
Be disappointed to see the floating helm.

Upvote 0
Oh also have you used a custom texture?
You many also need to enable skimming

To do that youll need to open resource broswer and create a new material (or use existing one if you have one for your item)
Right click on resource browser in your own folder.
BXA3c0Z.jpg

Then double click on your material:
85wLftM.jpg

Right at the bottom of the materials is Vertex layout: Then Enable skimming and save the materail:
JhXnTc5.jpg
hold on.....does skinning do anything?

oh by the way I used the "physically_based_bronze" readily available for the helmet, is that wrong?

Upvote 0
Yeah seems like skinning is the one thing I missed, I clicked on skinning and the helmet followed the head flawlessly.

But why though? Can you explain that to me?

Upvote 0
hold on.....does skinning do anything?

oh by the way I used the "physically_based_bronze" readily available for the helmet, is that wrong?
Ok yeah I just checked the physically_based_bronze, it doesnt have skinning enabled so youll need to create a copy of it and instead place it in your own mod folder. One sec more details to come..........

EDIT: OK yeah you got it

Honestly I dont actually know, all I know is that it works lol

ALSO its good to check it works in game, as a couple of times ive had armors that crash when you go to the main campaign map if they are equip. Should be ok though but I always double check now.

Upvote 0
Ok yeah I just checked the physically_based_bronze, it doesnt have skinning enabled so youll need to create a copy of it and instead place it in your own mod folder. One sec more details to come..........

EDIT: OK yeah you got it

Honestly I dont actually know, all I know is that it works lol
That is so weird....

BUT THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Upvote 0
one last question, how can I increase the reflection on the material?

I tried making one that mimics the physically based bronze, but it doesn't have the same gloss or shine to it.

Upvote 0
one last question, how can I increase the reflection on the material?

I tried making one that mimics the physically based bronze, but it doesn't have the same gloss or shine to it.

Hmm I’m not sure, the armors I’m working on are mostly dark coloured leathers so I’ve not gone as far as looking into reflections, sorry I don’t know much about that yet.
However I am going to do a few weapons next so I’ll see if I come across anything.

Upvote 0
Hmm I’m not sure, the armors I’m working on are mostly dark coloured leathers so I’ve not gone as far as looking into reflections, sorry I don’t know much about that yet.
However I am going to do a few weapons next so I’ll see if I come across anything.
I've just figured that out, just in case you need it in the future.

When you're editing the material, you can go to the Material Inspector and go to the Material Shader Flags, there is an option that says "use_specular", just check that box and it will use your specular map, I don't know why it's off by default

And with "use_specular" option flag enabled, you can use the gloss coefficient in the texture settings tab to make it mirror-shiny =))

Upvote 0
I've just figured that out, just in case you need it in the future.

When you're editing the material, you can go to the Material Inspector and go to the Material Shader Flags, there is an option that says "use_specular", just check that box and it will use your specular map, I don't know why it's off by default

And with "use_specular" option flag enabled, you can use the gloss coefficient in the texture settings tab to make it mirror-shiny =))

Thanks for the tips, I guess it’s set to off as some people might want some weapons and armor to have a more “used” look or have variations where there are some more dull looking weapons or armor and some more shiny ones.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom