Users who are viewing this thread

I'm aware the rules state only one suggestion per thread, but I would like to argue that the suggestions below all tie together in one way or another. All the way from Character Creation, to skills and how they interact with each other for both yourself and NPC characters.

First I want to mention how much I love this game (and Warband before it). I know it's still in early access, but there's a couple of things I just had to get off my chest.

I don't like the new skill tree. Some aspects of it works perfectly and are a great improvement of Warband, but there's a few problems. To name a few: Merging Medic and Scouting skills? Love it. Perks for leveling up skills? Brilliant -- but I still wish they made a bigger difference. The whole CTR tree being only ranged weapons -- when I'm only ever sticking to a single type of range weapon each character, I do not like. Power Draw and Power Throw used to be a part of Strength (now Vigor), and putting points in STR felt way better than putting points in CTR. Crossbows used to be a great strategy for INT-heavy characters because it didn't require STR to master. Min/Maxing is a big deal for me, some kinda OCD or learned behavior I have acquired over the years? I don't know. I'm not even going to dig in on leveling up the Medic skill right now, because it's such a minor flaw and I bet it's going to be fixed.

I would like the weapon skills (VIG/CTR) to be replaced with something more dynamic, I'm sure I don't have the best solution for this, and I don't even think this solution is any good, but it paints a picture of the general idea I'm going for. I would also like to see the level-up perks be more of a "MMORPG skill tree" with path-selection and focusing on a single path at a time gives you better options.
For instance 1H and 2H could be based on the same skill, but within that skill you pick which one to master via perks (or a combination of both).

Skill Tree changes. Example:
  • VIG: Might, Brawn, Force
  • CTR: Mastery, Focus, Tempo
  • END: Riding, Athletics, Resistance
  • CNG: Scouting, Tactics, *New* Roguery
  • SOC: Charm, Leadership, Trade
  • INT: Steward, Medicine, Craftsmanship (Engineering and Smithing combined)
  • Might: Increase 'Damage' output for all weapons (Special perks for damage increase)
  • Brawn: Increase 'Swing' speed and 'Handling' for melee weapons (Special perks for 1H/2H especially)
  • Force: Increase 'Thrust' speed for melee weapons (Specal perks for Polearms and "Armor-penetration")
  • Mastery: Level-up speed, applies to each category of weapon. (Like Warband Weapon-mastery)
  • Focus: Improve aim and the ability to hold aim for longer (ranged weapons).
  • Tempo: Improve speed for aiming and reloading (ranged weapons).
  • Resistance: Increase HP and Shield efficiency. (Reduces chance of falling, flinching and morale loss)
  • *New* Roguery: Perks focused on Looting/Raiding and Political Mischief (Encourage the player to choose their playstyle)
  • Craftsmanship: Improve quality of crafts. (Engineering, Smithing, maybe even Workshops?)
Mixing different skills, at a high level, could unlock special abilities. Example for Roguery:
Roguery and Charm: Political Schemes (Blackmailing)​
Roguery and Athletics: Dirty Fighting (Improved Kick & Shield-bash)​
Roguery and Trade: Racketeering (Illegal income)​
Roguery and Medic: Poison Master (Assassination)​

Let's say your Companion has good Roguery & Medic; A special option to assassinate a Lord becomes available.

Political Warfare
More to do with characters on the map. Fleshed out characters with a political purpose where you can play them like chess pieces or get played yourself. Quests and storytelling that randomly unfold around the world. A good variety of events with seemingly random outcome that is ever so slightly influenced by the player. Wacky crazy stuff that requires you to be a charming and even roguish person at times. I'm talking high risk high reward scenarios.
  • Solving mysteries
  • Claimants & Pretenders
  • Rebellions
  • Alliances (and secret alliances?)
  • Feasts
  • Weddings & Political marriages
  • Sabotaging a marriage from happening (or letting it slide)
  • Dedicating a Tournament to a lady
  • Assassinations
  • Duel to the Death (Risk your character's life)
  • Incest & Incest accusations
  • Bastard children (even randomly getting one yourself if you have low enough Honor)
  • Ancestral weapons
This would obviously require some more fleshed out characters with personalities and motives. A big task indeed, but imagine the payoff. Skills like charm, roguery etc. will play a big factor in politics, but we could even add Combat skills to politics. You could boast about your battle achievements and hopefully impress Lords and Ladies. Show off your battle scars that could be acquired through battle in scenarios where you would normally die, but due to being too young you survived -- with a scar to tell the story of how you cheated death. Maybe you could boast about your longest-range headshot with a bow, the amount of kills you have, etc. (If these stats are even recorded).

Family Traits
Hear me out. We already have the faction traits, but what if companions and lords had special traits of their own. A selection of traits, some more common than others, and some super rare ones to make it fun. You could start the game by picking one, or gain it along your journey. Your children could inherit this trait. Marrying someone with a good trait could potentially lead to you having children with 2 traits at the same time. Maybe your grandchildren could end up with even more after that, but only in rare cases. A bit of RNG and math regarding comparability between certain traits -- I mean it could work? Traits could have both positive and negative modifiers, some might cancel out the negatives when combined, some might merge to a new and rare trait.

Companions and Wanderers
Some of them are simply way better than the rest, and for no reason. I'm of course talking about the Aserai wanderers with their insane stats. You need a scout? Aserai-guy of the Wastes. You need a medic? Aserai-guy the Scholar. Party leader? Aserai Golden-boy. What we need is a good mixture of cultures. I actually don't mind some of them being stronger than the others, but there should be one drawback; Age. Simply make them older and they will be more likely to die, while a younger lad with lower stats, yet overall room for growth -- could make a solid long-term companion.
Honestly I miss Warband Companions. The new "Randomly generated" ones aren't random enough, they are the same guys with random names/looks. The stats are always the same every single time. They should either be Warband-style with fleshed out stories, or totally random to the point where you have no idea what you might find.

I know I'm "asking for too much", I just really had to get this off my chest, so take it as a general list of ideas.

Last edited:
Mixing different skills, at a high level, could unlock special abilities. Example for Roguery:
Roguery and Charm: Political Schemes (Blackmailing)Roguery and Athletics: Dirty Fighting (Improved Kick & Shield-bash)Roguery and Trade: Racketeering (Illegal income)Roguery and Medic: Poison Master (Assassination)
Let's say your Companion has good Roguery & Medic; A special option to assassinate a Lord becomes available.

This! Combo-perks would be very nice!

Family Traits
Hear me out. We already have the faction traits, but what if companions and lords had special traits of their own. A selection of traits, some more common than others, and some super rare ones to make it fun. You could start the game by picking one, or gain it along your journey. Your children could inherit this trait. Marrying someone with a good trait could potentially lead to you having children with 2 traits at the same time. Maybe your grandchildren could end up with even more after that, but only in rare cases. A bit of RNG and math regarding comparability between certain traits -- I mean it could work? Traits could have both positive and negative modifiers, some might cancel out the negatives when combined, some might merge to a new and rare trait.
I'm not talking about the Honor traits etc.
Something deeper rooted in a character. Example:

TIER 2 (Rare)
Brawny

Born with good STR/CTR + Faster Leveling Skill for these skills

Crafty
Born with good END/CUN + Faster Leveling Skill for these skills

Sharp
Born with good SOC/INT + Faster Leveling Skill for these skills

TIER 4 (Epic)
Technical

Born with good STR/CTR & END/CUN + Faster Leveling Skill for these skills

Commanding
Born with good STR/CTR & SOC/INT + Faster Leveling Skill for these skills

Strategic
Born with good END/CUN & SOC/INT + Faster Leveling Skill for these skills

TIER 6 (Legendary)
Genius
Born with good STR/CTR/END/CUN/SOC/INT (Jack of all Trades) + Faster Leveling Skill for these skills

NEGATIVE
Scarred -- Cheated Death
Bastard -- Can't hold land
Eunuch -- Unable to have children
Inbred
Depressed

Back
Top Bottom