Fix Escaping Prisoners and Random War Declaretion

Users who are viewing this thread

Just to clarify - the AI's only cheat in terms of troops is that they currently receive ~10% of their party size (10-15 men) upon respawning to avoid situations where they get stuck in defeat (by bandits). Some of them can return in force so quickly, because they do not just recruit from settlements, but also take troops from their holdings. Combined with the better managements of funds this can make for resilient opponents. Having said that, ideally, frequent defeats will see their garrisons weakened.

In regards to war and peace decisions, we are working on it. The shift from a single kingdom decision to a vote by its member clans and king will require balancing. Part of the solution will be what mexxico described here:
Thanks for the update. Lords replenishing quickly makes sense, but the inability to get a peace deal that sticks is currently really irksome so good to know you guys are on it. Although considering the number of kingdoms who are already losing a war and want to start a few more with other kingdoms, I'm interest to see how the logic that determines a kingdoms interest in breaking a deal plays out in practice. That said I'm sure it's fairly complicated stuff that takes a while to get right so good luck with it and keep up the good work.

Just to clarify - the AI's only cheat in terms of troops is that they currently receive ~10% of their party size (10-15 men) upon respawning to avoid situations where they get stuck in defeat (by bandits). Some of them can return in force so quickly, because they do not just recruit from settlements, but also take troops from their holdings. Combined with the better managements of funds this can make for resilient opponents. Having said that, ideally, frequent defeats will see their garrisons weakened.

In regards to war and peace decisions, we are working on it. The shift from a single kingdom decision to a vote by its member clans and king will require balancing. Part of the solution will be what mexxico described here:

Just to offer my thoughts i think this tribute should only be a diplomatic option for peace definitely not the only one.

You shouldnt always have to extract tribute for peace that is not historically accurate, peace can also be made out of necessity on both sides or because of war weariness. Sometimes peace should be made to last and that cant be achieved if one side is constantly paying tribute, it doesn't make sense, it creates a grievance which a ruler might not necessarily want to create

War and peace should be based on a number of factors. First off every faction should have a specific faction they want to like and one they don't, to make for interesting alliances. Second off their actions should be based on their own military and economic strength as well as personal relationships they have with members of those factions, there could also be other considerations (cultural, strategical etc). Honestly making me get tribute from a faction every time i defeat them is not what i want, and I think most people will think the same. We want alliances, politics, trade agreements, diplomatic marriages, feasts etc. Just do that and we will all be really happy! No one is asking for tribute we all have loads of cash as is...

Do they not get a passive free exp/day anymore?
I'm just jealous about that one, I want a real trainer skill BAD!

Duh_TaleWorlds I know this is a bit off-topic, but have yall considered some kind of ruling through marriage? I find it kinda weird that if I marry, let's say Ira the daughter of Rhagaea, mine and her clan don't join forces. I would think that alliance through marriage should be a thing. Its also weird that when Rhagaea dies, her daughter (The rightful heir) doesn't get to be the Empress of the Southern Empire because she left her clan for mine... Could it maybe be made so they don't leave their clan but instead you get an option in which your clan joins her clan?

Do they not get a passive free exp/day anymore?
I'm just jealous about that one, I want a real trainer skill BAD!
No, you are right, they do still get some experience. My thoughts were on coming back after a minute with a full party. I am not sure how high the experience gain is, though, it can probably be adjusted a bit when more according perks have been implemented. Having said that, my impression from player feedback is that they prefer fighting a diverse set of troops over the peasant armies that were encountered prior to the introduction of the passive experience.

Duh_TaleWorlds I know this is a bit off-topic, but have yall considered some kind of ruling through marriage? I find it kinda weird that if I marry, let's say Ira the daughter of Rhagaea, mine and her clan don't join forces. I would think that alliance through marriage should be a thing. Its also weird that when Rhagaea dies, her daughter (The rightful heir) doesn't get to be the Empress of the Southern Empire because she left her clan for mine... Could it maybe be made so they don't leave their clan but instead you get an option in which your clan joins her clan?
I am sure it was considered at some point, but it is not part of our current goals. (I only joined at the beginning of 2019.)

Having said that, my impression from player feedback is that they prefer fighting a diverse set of troops over the peasant armies that were encountered prior to the introduction of the passive experience.
True, but my suggestion (from before this change) was always that the trainer skill be given to all Lords, meaning the player too. We don't want to chase looters around after every battle either. Also my take on it is more that we want the AI to go away and fight bandits or something instead of jumping into an army full of recruits as soon as they spawn.

As long as there is a solid prisoner management system I wouldn't mind them to gather their forces quickly. They shouldn't be allowed to escape from dungeons. Also it should be player's decision to accept ransom or not. It still would be fine if they make AI lords more willingly to accept ransom offers for the sake of balance. But I believe only extending their duration to recover is not a solution at all. It would be same **** that force you to do same things but only less frequently.

Last edited:
Most dissapointing thing is a lord recruitment.

I won that mini game and paid him about 5 millions (actualy it was 30 crafted javelins XD)

And he leaved our kingdom after a week.

I wish they would just scrap defecting lords or limit it to very rare situations, it ruins the end game. Here I am going to war against the mighty Khuzait thinking I'm going to face hordes of horse archers, but I keep coming across Sturgian lords and mercenaries in their service. Pretty immersion breaking to say the least.

First I couldn`t believe it, so I looked it up in the encyclopedia. Yes, the Northern Empire just declared war on us. Their total strength: 3. Our total strength: 13,029. Hopefully they don`t take my castle, I`ve had it for so long now.

And yes: defections should be removed immediately.

No, you are right, they do still get some experience. My thoughts were on coming back after a minute with a full party. I am not sure how high the experience gain is, though, it can probably be adjusted a bit when more according perks have been implemented. Having said that, my impression from player feedback is that they prefer fighting a diverse set of troops over the peasant armies that were encountered prior to the introduction of the passive experience.

Any chance that the player's AI clan member parties can get this passive experience gain?
I understand currently they don't to prevent players from taking experienced troops, but when I call my clan members to my army and they have 80% recruits and I'm going against the new AI parties (which is great btw). My army of recruits is just no match for similar sized war parties.

Maybe there can be a system where it limits where and when a player can take his/her's clan member's troops
i.e)
Can only take X amount of troops every season
Can only take <T3 troops
Payment system similar to recruiting payment at a village. But troops being taken from the party are more expensive than when being recruited from a village (where a T4 cost 200gold from a village, taking from the party will cost 400gold). I know this could cause a problem also because the gold will come back as an 'income from party' so maybe this could be changed for the purpose of this somehow.

@Duh_TaleWorlds - i think it all comes down to the numbers. As you've said - the reason enemy lords seem to endlessly spawn with sizable parties is they can "just" take garrisoned troops from their fiefs. And, by it's own, that sounds reasonable. The thing is - we know now, that AI has a bonus recruitement slots given to them. And that's where the "problem" starts. In this scenario - unless player builds up relations with surrounding villages/cities to the very brim - AI will "outpace" player quite considerably. To give an "probable" example - AI lord looses a fight with a player party. Escapes prison soon after. Enlists all available troops in near-by villages, drops them off into the garrison (for passive exp), while taking already leveled troops with them. See how "outpaced" player can become under this scenario? Unless player manages to win battles without suffering managable casulties - it'll be an endless grinder for their party.

I feel the random war declarations not so random, maybe i am wrong but as soon I created my kingdom (1.4.1 from a very old created game, maybe 1.1) with the new system every neighbour started to declare war on me. I spend most of my fortune in truces lasting a few days... My city, Quyaz, was constantly sieged and the Aserai Wars came every week, BUT when I got enough relationship with Unqid they stopped declaring war on me now he and Derthert are in my friend list and the stability has came to my kingdom.

I assume relationship has something to do with kingdom decisions through vote, so forging relationships with nobles should help.

Create relationship with nobles outside your kingdom is hard but not impossible, I did it through quests, gifts and releasing them after battles.

It took me 17 game years to build my Honor trait so I will be far from executing people. Traits seem a very powerful and thematic mechanic that seems to be a bugged and incomplete at least on the main character side (I lost my traits just after game start and I had to be the most honest man during 17 years to get the trait). Hope to see this used to create relationships and mitigate random kingdom decisions.

I did notice that, yes. After I trained a full elite party, I had no challenge to beat them up without causalties on realistic damage level. As you said beating them over and over again gets boring quickly. Diplomacy might give you a rest and keep battles still interesting since you wouldn't have to fight all the time. It would be quite fun to manipulate kingdoms and set them against each other.
It's bound to get boring anyway, there are not enough factions to keep the game interesting after you've wiped 2 or 3 of them. If you complete their "main quest" once you unite either a "sTrOnK KiNgDoM" or create your resurrected Empire, you'll absorb 3 factions at once, and the Quest demands you to """"""Destroy""""""" 3 factions prior to that, meaning that you'll beat into submission 3 factions and absorb 3 other factions, resulting in a really boring late-game after that because to beat them into submission you'll virtually destroy them (taking at least up to 1/4th of their lands in the process). I mean, there'll be nothing to do afterwards unless you deliberately handicap yourself. No challenge, nothing.
Each run I've set out to complete that damned main quest and succeeded, afterwards I owned basically half of the map, multiple lords (because it's impossible to get there without recruiting some of the strongest clans) and once or twice I've made the mistake of granting myself central fiefs (making it impossible to expand in vanilla, because it only puts you as a possible new owner if you border the newly capture thing)

Last edited:
Just to clarify - the AI's only cheat in terms of troops is that they currently receive ~10% of their party size (10-15 men) upon respawning to avoid situations where they get stuck in defeat (by bandits).

Why don't they just spawn in one of their fiefs with largest garrison? That way they could replenish troops without cheating. Then the only one who would need to cheat are those without fiefs/garrisons.

Glad to see a developer comment on this.

As for war and peace, kingdoms should be VERY reluctant to start a war if they're already at war. Kingdoms should be somewhat reluctant to start a war against a stronger rival that's at peace, but considerably more willing to wage war against a stronger rival that's already at war with someone else.

Basically in my opinion, you should end up with two opposed mechanisms for long-term game balance:

1 -Snowballing - The more villages and towns you own, the more troops you can recruit, with recruitment from non-owned locations severely reduced. The villages and towns should replace those volunteers gradually, so a lord can't recruit more than one or two volunteers from a village that's just been recruited from a day ago. Replacing troops should be fast and easy....once. After that, it should be increasingly difficult to recover quickly, until the garrisons have been refilled and the villages have time to regenerate volunteers. Snowballing should get less "efficient" above some point, so a large kingdom is more powerful than one half its size, but significantly less than twice as powerful. Offensive operations far from home should have trouble replacing casualties (need to return to friendly territory to recruit replacements), while defensive operations should benefit from being close to home, allowing defenders to come back with a second army in a relatively short time. Beyond that, after a major castle or town assault with high casualties, the attacking kingdom should be "tapped out" and try to avoid hostilities until they recover, ending wars if possible. Clearly, Bannerlord's kingdoms are not taking time to recover before beginning another siege (or war), and apparently don't need that time (due to not suffering a lot of casualties in the assault), allowing the faction that bobs first to continue steamrolling castle or town after castle or town.

2 - Ganging up on the biggest threat - Rather than random war declarations, the AI should prioritize declaring war to recover former territory, or to take territory from someone who has a weak claim to it by way of having taken it from someone else recently, versus taking core lands from a country that's not been a threat. It should be relatively unthreatening to take a single border castle and grow slightly, but difficult to grow to significant size without having the other countries begin to target you for "cutting down to size". Alliances against the biggest threat should also be possible for both the player's kingdom and the AI. The growth of large empires has historically resulted in the formation of large surrounding empires or alliances to oppose them, often resulting in the collapse of that large empire. There is no equivalent "anti-blobbing" mechanism in Bannerlord.

Aside from that, mounted troops should receive an auto-resolve combat bonus in FIELD combat, but NOT in sieges, otherwise horse armies become too powerful where they shouldn't be.

Back
Top Bottom