Fix Classes with real PERKS

Users who are viewing this thread

warband had proficiencies which essentially where different stats per archetype x faction. It was a passive system behind the scenes. Even if perks came to be, the weapons would be balanced enough to allow all perks being used without being OP. Perks would come after combat fixing, so what you have now regarding combat wont be the same in 6 months. At least, if they want the game to be alive, because right now its dead.
no there were no hidden passive things like these,
ever joined Ludus server !!
only wearable things control combat variables

no there were no hidden passive things like these,
ever joined Ludus server !!
only wearable things control combat variables

Yes they were. Each unit on multiplayer across all factions had certain profficiencies, please do research before you post.

Kingdom of Swadia
Crossbowman:
(proficiencies) 90 in all melee proficiencies and throwing, 180 xbow, 60 archery
(skills) 2 IF, 2 PS, 5 shield, 4 ath, 1 riding
Infantry:
105 1hw, 130 2hw, 110 polearms, 40 archery, 60 xbow, 110 throwing
5 IF, 4 PS, 2 PT, 4 shield, 6 ath, 1 riding
Man-at-Arms:
130 1hw, 110 2hw, 120 polearms
3 IF, 3 PS, 2 PT, 2 shield, 3 ath, 5 riding

Kingdom of Vaegirs
Archer:
80 in all melee proficiencies and throwing, 150 archery, 60 xbow
2 IF, 7 PD, 2 shield, 3 ath, 1 riding
Spearman:
110 1hw, 100 2hw, 130 polearms, 30 archery, 50 xbow, 120 throwing
4 IF, 4 PS, 3 PT, 2 shield, 6 ath, 1 riding
Horseman:
110 in all melee proficiencies and throwing, 90 archery, 60 xbow
4 IF, 3 PS, 4 PT, 3 shield, 5 riding

Khergit Khanate
(Keep in mind this faction has only 2/3 the classes, and that lancers count as infantry as well as cavalry.)
Horse Archer:
70 in all melee proficiencies, 142 archery, 60 xbow, 100 throwing
5 PD, 1 shield, 3 ath, 2 riding, 3 HA
Infantry:
110 in all proficiencies.
3 IF, 3 PS, 3 PT, 4 shield, 6 ath
Lancer:
115 in all proficiencies
3 IF, 3 PS, 3 PT, 4 shield, 4 ath, 6 riding, 0 HA

Kingdom of Nords
Archer:
90 in all melee proficiencies, 150 archery, 60 xbow, 80 throwing
2 IF, 2 PS, 5 PD, 3 shield, 3 ath, 1 riding
Huscarl:
110 1hw, 135 2hw, 100 polearms, 40 archery, 60 xbow, 140 throwing
4 IF, 5 PS, 4 PT, 3 shield, 6 ath, 1 riding
Scout:
105 in all proficiencies.
2 IF, 2 PS, 3 PT, 1 shield, 3 ath, 6 riding, 3 HA

Kingdom of Rhodoks
Crossbowman:
100 in all melee proficiencies, 60 archery, 180 xbow, 90 throwing
2 IF, 2 PS, 2 shield, 4 ath, 1 riding
Sergeant:
110 1hw, 100 2hw, 140 polearms, 30 archery, 50 xbow, 110 throwing
4 IF, 4 PS, 1 PT, 5 shield, 6 ath, 1 riding
Horseman:
100 in all proficiencies
3 IF, # PS, 1 PT, 3 shield, 3 ath, 4 riding

Sarranid Sultanate
Archer:
80 in all melee proficiencies, 150 archery, 60 xbow, 80 throwing
4 IF, 5 PD, 2 shield, 3 ath, 1 riding
Footman:
110 1hw, 100 2hw, 130 polearms, 30 archery, 50 xbow, 120 throwing
4 IF, 4 PS, 3 PT, 2 shield, 6 ath, 1 riding
Mamluke:
110 in all melee proficiencies and throwing, 90 archery, 60 throwing
3 IF, 2 PS, 2 PT, 3 shield, 5 riding

Last edited:
warspear was always warspear in matter of speed for me for +3600 hours.
either this was patched, or it has no relevant to speed, or the community just preferred removing the profficiencies in hosted servers like m&s and ludus
even if it was true that i'm totaly wrong, "seems that i'm because i didn't play much in native servers"
adding perks like these "speed", makes the range of instability bigger in hit and block combat
specially when speed is the most important thing if the players are skilled

Last edited:
I wrote the code for the ludus server, I didn't touch the faction proficiency. I doubt many other servers would have changed them. Different factions do have different skills in speed, damage output etc... A lot of this is hard to pick up on from a players individual perspective however due to the number of variables involved in combat. Some are more noticeable, like nord scout riding skill for instance.

Also some attributes are balanced out in different ways, for instance swadians have high 1H skill and power strike yet only have access to low damage swords by default. It's why that faction snowballs so hard as soon as they can pick up another factions stronger weapons.

I wrote the code for the ludus server, I didn't touch the faction proficiency. I doubt many other servers would have changed them. Different factions do have different skills in speed, damage output etc... A lot of this is hard to pick up on from a players individual perspective however due to the number of variables involved in combat. Some are more noticeable, like nord scout riding skill for instance.

Also some attributes are balanced out in different ways, for instance swadians have high 1H skill and power strike yet only have access to low damage swords by default. It's why that faction snowballs so hard as soon as they can pick up another factions stronger weapons.
does that affect speed, because in ludus somtimes i pick 2handed swords while being nord
it exactly the same speed
hard to admit it, i didn't notice this even with that much of time,

It does affect speed, however noticeable changes in speed usually would be on the order of 50 points of change in weapon skill, the differences between equivalent classes is usually less than this.

There are some exceptions though, try using throwing weapons as swadian cavalry or try moving around on foot as vaegir cavalry. The stats on those are very noticeable.

Lol @Shatti the OP, me, hasn't responded to you until now....

Warband had passive skill differences that effectively made range weapons more or less accurate and melee weapons quicker or slower. The most obvious example imo is the swing speed of the scimitar for sarranid archers; it was noticeably slower than say, a vaegir infantry who using the exact same weapon. It was minuscule, but it was there. Player skill, though, was still the most important outcome in a fight. And how many times on this forum do people reference Warband combat as superior to Bannerlord's current state?

My suggestion is to allow player choice instead of having the concrete, hidden stats of Warband. Also, increasing swing or wind up speed is just one example of what may be implemented. Damage another example. All these potential buffs imo should be at a magnitude that makes them noticeable and worthwhile, but balanced. I agree that player skill should definitely be the make or break of combat success.

For more examples of I think may work as actual perks, just look at the perks in singleplayer that effect weapon proficiency. Obviously not all of them are directly translatable or balanced, but they are general examples.

I think doing this will also make the MP aspect of Bannerlord feel more like an RPG, and make the singleplayer and MP aspects feel more cohesive.

It's important for perks to remain tied to visible changes to equipment, so that you know what perks an enemy has selected before engaging, especially if it's a "faster swing" perk (you should be given a faster weapon-type or different-looking armour). This seems to fall in line with what TW have been doing already, but I agree with you that the default gear for troops needs improvement, and troops shouldn't be proficient at everything.

It's important for perks to remain tied to visible changes to equipment, so that you know what perks an enemy has selected before engaging, especially if it's a "faster swing" perk (you should be given a faster weapon-type or different-looking armour). This seems to fall in line with what TW have been doing already, but I agree with you that the default gear for troops needs improvement, and troops shouldn't be proficient at everything.
I too like the idea of having obvious visual cues for stat effects. There is an inherent flaw with changing weapon skins to reflect a character buff though: someone can pick up your alt-skinned weapon after you die, yet they shouldn't get the character buff it's tied to.

I'm very curious to see what the devs have been working on recently with combat, player stats, and class changes.

love the idea OP, too bad taleworlds seems to have their heads held high above us filthy peasants and our fruitless suggestions to make the game better.

I remember one of Callum's rationales for the class system being "Knights will look like knights." Meanwhile, thanks to their bizarre decision to let all classes do everything, you can see a peasant firing a composite bow off a warhorse. It really feels like the only "meaningful" differences between classes are their armour and speed value. Everything else is malleable and pointless.

691814137335906324.png
691814137335906324.png
691814137335906324.png

No amount of balance fixes or different perk combinations will solve the fundamental issue being that the class system itself is trash and ill-suited to Mount & Blade.
There is one place where the class system works well, and that is Skirmish mode, because that's what it was designed for. Transplanting the same class system into gamemodes that were never intended for it will never work. Different gamemodes each put emphasis and advantages on different classes, and these predetermined classes are impossible to balance properly using the same stats and gear for every gamemode.
691814137335906324.png
691814137335906324.png
691814137335906324.png

Back
Top Bottom