Fix Classes with real PERKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Firstly, I realize this is a suggestion, but it is for the class system in general and how perks are implemented, rather than feedback on a specific class, so I didn't find a good place to post in the Feedback and Suggestions subforum...

Okay, so obviously the class system needs work. In my opinion there are two major problems with the current that can be fixed with a single, albeit not entirely simple solution.

Problem #1 - Poor equipment choices. Many people have complained about this from various perspectives; having to pick between spear and shield for some classes, low variety, little choice in character appearance, etc.

Problem #2 - Anyone can do anything. No matter your "class," as long as you get the gear, you can use it as good as any other "class." Infantry can use any bow just as well as any archer or ride any horse just as well as any cavalry. I like the ability to use anything, but like many people, I agree there should be some kind of penalty to a foot spearman using a warbow or riding an armored warhorse, both for the sake of game balance and realish-ism.

The obvious solution - Make perks reflect actual perks. The current system uses "perks" to mean "equipment."

For example, allow a foot soldier to be able to pick between being better with any combination of 1H weapons (with or w/o a shield), 2H weapons, polearms, throwing, slightly higher swing speed (or quicker wind up) with a damage penalty vs slightly slower swing speed with a damage buff, running speed, total HP, etc.

It can be in the exact same format as the current system: 2 choices, each from its own pool of competing choices. For example, the first perk choice could be bonus (damage? swing speed?) to either 1H, 2H, or polearms. Second perk choice could be for bonus to throwing, HP, or running speed.

Treating perks as actual perks, aka buffs to a character's ability to use gear, would solidify a real difference between infantry vs archers vs cavalry. Anyone could still use anything, but since an archer will have some kind of perk to using bows, a spearman trying to use someone else's longbow won't be as good as that archer with the perks. I like this active implementation of class ability rather than tweaking stats behind the scenes to give a passive boost because it allows for player choices with consequences. It also allows for ability differences within classes in addition to between classes... it should be pretty intuitive that in most cases, a soldier carrying a weapon into battle will be proficient and familiar with that weapon, moreso than any others they may find on the field.

Of course with my proposed change to perks, the obvious secondary change would be implementing a new way of selecting armor and weapons. Again, it could still be implemented in a "streamlined" good-for-newbies way, like the devs obviously were going for with what was released. Give us 3 choices for helmet, body armor, and you could even combine arm armor and footwear into combo options, all selectable as perks are now. Similarly, give us at least 3 choices for main weapon (polearm, 2H, throwing), a sidearm (1H), and a shield. Within the shield selection should be an option to forego a shield to get extra throwing weapons or something. Some classes don't have any option for shields, so the shield selection for them could have something else.

Yes this would require more work than the current system, but then again, the current system is way streamlined. The perk system to me feels like what might be implemented in "Mount and Blade: Mobile Edition." Waaaay streamlined and very geared to casuals.

My suggested changes would allow the devs to tackle, from my experience in-game and browsing through the forum, the two main glaring issues with the class system.

Any thoughts? Has this been suggested already? I haven't found anything exactly like my idea. Hopefully it has, and the devs are already working on implementing it :party:

I agree that some perks choices don't make much sense, but the devs have already said they are reworking the system, so I say let's wait and see what they have to offer first.

Ur right in a way, they changed the stats of the cost of classes in the beta branch but this isn't really a perk rework
I havent really cared about the MP so far, tried getting into it in Warband, but the people there were not that welcoming of newbies, so i quit. How a big portion of MP players seem to talk, to other people, on this forum it hasent really made me more interested in trying again.

I havent really cared about the MP so far, tried getting into it in Warband, but the people there were not that welcoming of newbies, so i quit. How a big portion of MP players seem to talk, to other people, on this forum it hasent really made me more interested in trying again.
It depends what servers you frequent, honestly i would stick to not using chat in warband a lot though. Also i talking from EU perspective, i assume ur NA since in europe while writing this its like 4 in the morning xd

It depends what servers you frequent, honestly i would stick to not using chat in warband a lot though. Also i talking from EU perspective, i assume ur NA since in europe while writing this its like 4 in the morning xd
No im EU, as i stated above, my mistake was do to tiredness from it being 3 in the night its 3:40 now :grin:

No im EU, as i stated above, my mistake was do to tiredness from it being 3 in the night its 3:40 now :grin:
Do it during EU peaktime on NeoGK siege server or something and u will see its fun for real.

Its a bit of a bad time to play warband multiplayer mods though since most of the mods like PW or mercs aren't really that big anymore :'(

For example, allow a foot soldier to be able to pick between being better with any combination of 1H weapons (with or w/o a shield), 2H weapons, polearms, throwing, slightly higher swing speed (or quicker wind up) with a damage penalty vs slightly slower swing speed with a damage buff, running speed, total HP, etc.

i'm not content with this,
it sounds great for any other game, but in bannerlord most people want a skill based combat in "MP",
this will make every technique in combat not stable,
i want a smooth combat where my skill contributes more than perks

i'm not content with this,
it sounds great for any other game, but in bannerlord most people want a skill based combat in "MP",
this will make every technique in combat not stable,
i want a smooth combat where my skill contributes more than perks

Skill based without customization is boring. Your skill contributes to combat by learning how to block and use movement. That's why most pro-class kids are pro-class. Because they got stomped by naked people in Warband, who had no gear but knew the game mechanics better.

Skill based without customization is boring. Your skill contributes to combat by learning how to block and use movement. That's why most pro-class kids are pro-class. Because they got stomped by naked people in Warband, who had no gear but knew the game mechanics better.
never said no to customization
only no to ur perks idea
weapons already have different values, no need to make "2 speeds for 2handed axes"

never said no to customization
only no to ur perks idea
weapons already have different values, no need to make "2 speeds for 2handed axes"

2 speeds for different axes and the implementation of those 2 axes to the gear choice of the unit. dont see how can you not like this

Different proficiencies

in warband MP, there was no perks to speed up ur weapon,
u have to choose a different weapon that has a faster swing.

now, imagine if i took the fastest sword in bannerlord then added the +swing speed perk of yours
count that with the block delay and the "woowy gooowy" feinting animation with chain spam attacks.
it would be a bad idea too add even more variables in the combat system.

warband had proficiencies which essentially where different stats per archetype x faction. It was a passive system behind the scenes. Even if perks came to be, the weapons would be balanced enough to allow all perks being used without being OP. Perks would come after combat fixing, so what you have now regarding combat wont be the same in 6 months. At least, if they want the game to be alive, because right now its dead.

Back
Top Bottom