Fitness and all things fitness related (AKA: Eat your goddamn oats.)

Users who are viewing this thread

That Vikander article said:
To prep for fight scenes, Vikander learned to kick and punch like mixed martial arts athletes. I, too, got a taste of that training by striking a thick pad with the heels of my palms and the top of my foot.
Vikander did those exercises for an hour a day for six or seven days a week leading up to filming, in addition to training in rock climbing, swimming and more intensive MMA skills like chokeholds.
:ohdear:

On the topic of MMA. I actually got knocked down in sparring for the first time in a long while. Coach gave me two weeks off from any sparring just in case. I generally feel like anyone who hits hard enough to be knocking people out in casual sparring is an *******, but this time it was more about bad timing on my part and good precision on my opponent's part, not just hitting hard.
Wish my schedule allowed me to incorporate more BJJ classes into my training as I'm probably worse off than someone coming straight from base-course once that ends.

Been also improving my 5km run time quite significantly over the last three weeks. Finally found a decent app which doesn't cut out mid training and lets me use other music apps simultaneously as well.

After seven months of strength training some gym and steroids, a person puts on 5 kgs of muscles

It's a miracle!!! It's almost as funny as when Anne Hathaway said in one interview that her "hardcore" routine when preparing for Batman was 'like sit-ups and triceps curls". You can also get Thor's body just by following this one simple trick Chris Hemsworth did if you but this month's issue of our magazine!!!

https://cronometer.com/

It combines one of the world's best things - obsessing about what you eat and spreadsheets. I'm kind of sad to abandon my own ancient excel spreadsheet that I've made and that kept me company for years, but such is the way of the world.

Hey dudes, I need some advice and help. I want to get ripped but I'm terrible at planning. I don't have any idea on which exercise to do etc. What I've been doing is going 2-3 times a week to the gym and just flailing around with weights. Generally just chest arms and legs. Any help here would be appreciated.

That out of the way, I know it's an imposing request and I don't expect a reply, I'll just have to man up and get educated on the matter when the time comes.

My back is dying. It's probably because as soon as I get home from work I sit down all day. And now it's caught up with me. My lower back is always aching and has been aching for 2 weeks now. The more I sit the more I ache. I've found a workout that fixes it for a while. It's lying down on my side and moving my upper leg back and then up, then I put my knee up to my chest as far as I can and repeat and in the end hold it up for 20 seconds.
Is there anything else that can help fix my back?

Welp, gonna try and be more active then. Went to the gym a minute ago, did the same flailing as usual but looked to how to do proper squats this time. I thought my feet were supposed to be straight ahead which was hard for me because I've got duck feet that stick out to the sides like Kevin in Ed, Edd and Eddy.

I have been taking more time off work because it's a rather physical job with lots of bending down and crawling around. Gonna stop that.

There's a practice done lying on your back: have your arms at your sides, then slowly raise them sideways to your head (like when doing a snow angel), then lift them forward until they point upwards, then lower them back to the sides into starting position. Do one or two of that with knees pulled up and soles on the ground, then one or two more with straight legs. Do it slowly, with as much of your back touching the ground as possible. You can do more of it when your back aches less, but don't overdo it.

Start your days right after the morning piss with light but long enough warmup, and similarly move the day's cramp out of your body before going to bed.

Lower back itself is rarely the problem, it's usually the victim to ****ed up hips. And you being  unable to squat unless with duck feet points in that direction too.

Google IT band syndrome and iliopsoas syndrome and do the recommended stretches religiously at least once a day.

Yes it is. If you have permanent duck feet in any and all situations, you are permanently forcing the hip into external rotation. If duck feet feel natural and parallel feet unnatural to you, it means you have habituated your hip into being permanently externally rotated and it unnaturally alters your hip muscles and tendons which is almost positively what gives you the problems you have.

On top of that, it makes you more prone to valgus and supple flat feet. You can get away with it and have no symptoms if you live a sedentary lifestyle, but if you don't and you don't correct it, chances are you will eventually hurt something, probably the knees, and you will become one of the people who claim that running/squatting/whatever ruined their knees, even though it was their bad posture 99.9% of the time.

The good news is, it can be corrected with just stretching, but you're gonna have to be disciplined and patient, it can take weeks or even months before having parallel feet feels truly natural and you don't have to force yourself into the stance.

Of course, there's a small chance your hip socket and/or femur just don't really match because genetics or toddling the wrong way when you were a toddler (not kidding) and the external rotation is a result of that. Stretching probably won't help (much) and you're just gonna have to live with it and find some physical activities that don't affect lower body much. But I don't have your x-rays and I'm not an orthopedist, so I have no idea.

Holy ****. No one's ever told me that  :lol: It's always just been "Wow your feet are outward" or what ever.
Guess I'll start doing some stretches.

For standing, walking, running, bodyweight exercises and generally existing, it's always parallel imo.

For really heavy squatting maybe some rotation is ok, but even then ot should be a conscious decision, not something your body forces you to do.

Grönsíir said:
Holy ****. No one's ever told me that  :lol: It's always just been "Wow your feet are outward" or what ever.
Guess I'll start doing some stretches.
99% of people have no idea how their bodies (are supposed to) work.

This is also news to me. My sister is a physiotherapist and she never told me my feet were a solvable problem :lol:

L2S18.jpg

That's how legs look.

Regarding squatting though; it's easier (and natural, look at a toddler squat down to pick something up) to have a wide stance when squatting, especially deep squats, and it's natural for your feet to angle outwards slightly in this position i.e. the feet aren't parallel in this position.

Back
Top Bottom