Fitness and all things fitness related (AKA: Eat your goddamn oats.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Magorian Aximand said:
Sartek said:
GOoing to gym and running when the weather allows and I`m not particularly lazy is fine, but eating properly?

That`s something I just cant manage. Hate cooking or....well, doing anything so much.

That's definitely a challenge. If you want to eat well, and are struggling to do it consistently, I'd try to make just one small change at a time, until each one is habit. Completely overhauling your eating habits is a daunting task, especially when you're not a fan of the kitchen. So don't. Search for a Sartek friendly way of having a healthy breakfast, then try to have that four times a week. Once you've found a good one, and you don't even think about whether or not you're going to make it any given morning, then search for a Sartek friendly post-workout meal. And so on and so forth, until your habits are healthy. Success in the eating game comes down to (for many, anyway) the accumulation of small changes, rather than the implementation of one large change.

This sounds like incredibly good advice. I really feel like if I wasnt quite as lazy as I am, this would help.

But since picking up a dropped toothpaste package took me literally two months ( I vaccuumed around it, or pushed it a bit away), and I dont much care, I dont really see  it changing. It`s like....I know eating better would help me look better and get better results in the gym but....I cant be bothered.

On this topic, can someone point to/give some basic info on eating better, but I mean very basic, as vanilla as it gets, for dummies info :3

Just a couple o' steps, to put it in above-mentioned, Mag's terms.

Sartek said:
Magorian Aximand said:
Sartek said:
GOoing to gym and running when the weather allows and I`m not particularly lazy is fine, but eating properly?

That`s something I just cant manage. Hate cooking or....well, doing anything so much.

That's definitely a challenge. If you want to eat well, and are struggling to do it consistently, I'd try to make just one small change at a time, until each one is habit. Completely overhauling your eating habits is a daunting task, especially when you're not a fan of the kitchen. So don't. Search for a Sartek friendly way of having a healthy breakfast, then try to have that four times a week. Once you've found a good one, and you don't even think about whether or not you're going to make it any given morning, then search for a Sartek friendly post-workout meal. And so on and so forth, until your habits are healthy. Success in the eating game comes down to (for many, anyway) the accumulation of small changes, rather than the implementation of one large change.

This sounds like incredibly good advice. I really feel like if I wasnt quite as lazy as I am, this would help.

But since picking up a dropped toothpaste package took me literally two months ( I vaccuumed around it, or pushed it a bit away), and I dont much care, I dont really see  it changing. It`s like....I know eating better would help me look better and get better results in the gym but....I cant be bothered.
I'm just putting this clip out here, hoping it will help some you lazy/unstructered folks. ( I am in no way perfect myself  )

I kinda relate to your laziness, so I feel ya!
I've been watching a fair bit of material from Dr Jordan Peterson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBR5v89L6gk

A little unrelated to this thread I guess, but what the hell..

Edit : I've been thinkin of taking up muay thai  :smile: The only martial art I've practised is viking reenactment. Aaaand yes, I know. It's not all that practical in real life combat situations, but atleast you get a decent taste of footwork, judging distance and in general awareness and movement.
Sorry for my horrible grammar  :lol:

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
Started boxing, my fitness level is fine, i sleep a lot, have a pretty good diet, and don't miss trainings. But I feel like I'm slow at learning technical bits. How do you get faster in learning martial arts?
Try punching the other guy in the face hard when he is in front of you.

At first, technique will confuse you, make you mix up in your mind which limb of yours is which. After a little practice your technique will get better. That's when you'll realize that the slim, short, slow-moving rookie, who is at his first training session and never threw a punch before, easily beats you up because his mind isn't burdened by technical stuff. Then you practice more, and after a while your subconscious will start throwing your punches instead of your conscious, and sometimes you feel that you are getting good. After that, all you need to do is practice more.

HolmgårdViking said:
Edit : I've been thinkin of taking up muay thai  :smile: The only martial art I've practised is viking reenactment. Aaaand yes, I know. It's not all that practical in real life combat situations, but atleast you get a decent taste of footwork, judging distance and in general awareness and movement.
Sorry for my horrible grammar  :lol:
Those are rhe basics of every martial art, so that knowledge would definitely come in handy for muay thai too.

GlorvalhirSRB said:
On this topic, can someone point to/give some basic info on eating better, but I mean very basic, as vanilla as it gets, for dummies info :3

i checked out WHO and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, this seems to be fairly non-controversial baseline:
-no alcohol
-no trans fats
-less saturated fats
-less sodium(salt)
-more fiber
-more plants, less red meat
-more whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts and vegetable oils, seafood, poultry
-less processed food, added sugars

opinions on saturated fats and sodium seem to be more divided, but WHO and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offer these guidelines above. But if you were asking for 'how i gonna change my diet', I know less about that. What worked for me was to use all my willpower in summer to change my diet and quit smoking while not caring for anything else. Now they're just habit and I don't need to force myself to eat well. Willpower is a limited resource, if you use it on everything, you'll just burn out.

GlorvalhirSRB said:

All digestion is based on hydrolysis.  There may be 30 enzymes that help you break complex stuff like proteins into amino acids, triglycerides into single chains and polysaccharides into sugars, but they all involve water.  So if you wanna' pig out you need lots of water

Some people think carbos are good for you.  If you ask me, I'd say its healthier to eat more fruits and veg.  When you load up on carbos your body tries to convert that into fat, and I believe diabetes type 2 is due to the body not being able to do that fast enough.  One alternative is start to glucose to glycogen, but you'd need a massive body to incorporate all that crap as glycogen.

Also, what people don't consider is that amino acids are sugars anyway.  We can convert proteins to amino acids to sugars as necessary, and the body has some limited means to interconvert amino acids or those resulting metabolites into glucose.

So personally I do recommend a fruit and veg diet, with a few puppies thrown in.  Carbos are for slaves and not good for you unless you do a lot of hard labour.

I personally lose weight by eating less calories than I burn. Pretty effective. I lost five kilos immediately in a few weeks' time after my conscription ended in June and have shaved another three-four off during autumn now.

Was able to get back to my training now, clinch training on Wednesday got my back and shoulders aching like crazy. Feels good though. Been doing five kilometre runs and pushups and abs to complement my training. Going to start including some HIIT such as sprints on my off days as well, as far as I've understood they're more effective than longer distance runs in round-for-round cardio.

Depending on your goals (I'm assuming weight loss but not sure), it may be helpful to track what you eat, before you try to change anything dramatic. It's easy to eat food mindlessly, tracking things forces you to be cognizant of your behavior, and it can go a long way towards identifying problematic areas you might have in the diet department.

In related news, I'm down an additional ~10 lbs since I last posted a month ago, despite being slightly bad the other weekend - whoo hoo!

Kharille said:
So if you wanna' pig out you need lots of water.

When you load up on carbos your body tries to convert that into fat, and I believe diabetes type 2 is due to the body not being able to do that fast enough

Also, what people don't consider is that amino acids are sugars anyway.
Dude your grasp of biochemistry is so poor you should consider writing a fitness blog.
(In fairness you do need a lot of water for digestion but most food contains a lot of water and unless you're very dehydrated your gi tract will always contain a lot of water. Your body is mostly made of water).

Kharille said:
Also, what people don't consider is that amino acids are sugars anyway.  We can convert proteins to amino acids to sugars as necessary, and the body has some limited means to interconvert amino acids or those resulting metabolites into glucose.

Holy **** lmao. If you're metabolizing proteins for glucose, those proteins aren't contributing productively to the rest of their metabolic functions, and you can't build muscle. "As necessary" here means "after you've exhausted your carbohydrate and fat reserves", which is three quarters the way to starvation. Keto diets work because your higher fat intake provides enough resources to make up for the total lack of carbs so that you don't have to burn protein.

Big Bad Pent said:
Kharille said:
So if you wanna' pig out you need lots of water.

When you load up on carbos your body tries to convert that into fat, and I believe diabetes type 2 is due to the body not being able to do that fast enough

Also, what people don't consider is that amino acids are sugars anyway.
Dude your grasp of biochemistry is so poor you should consider writing a fitness blog.
(In fairness you do need a lot of water for digestion but most food contains a lot of water and unless you're very dehydrated your gi tract will always contain a lot of water. Your body is mostly made of water).

Nothing wrong with my biochemistry.  How are you going to draw water from interstitial fluids and lymph and put that in your stomach or gut?  You'd barely get any peristalsis if you're dehydrated and chewing on dry biscuits.  How much water do you have in your GI tract when its function is to absorb water?  Water absorption through active transport of nutrients from the lumen to cells? 

Excess proteins can be converted to sugars.  If you eat enough puppies you don't need no carbo.  You can convert proteins to carbos and then fats but not the other way around. 

Fat intakes don't create glucose needed for brains which are dependent only on glucose. 

Mediocre biochemists.....  doubt you guys even know the process of acetate fat biosynthesis, or even amino acid deamination. 

Kharille said:
Some people think carbos are good for you.  If you ask me, I'd say its healthier to eat more fruits and veg. 

So personally I do recommend a fruit and veg diet, with a few puppies thrown in.  Carbos are for slaves and not good for you unless you do a lot of hard labour.
:?: :?: :?:

Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs...

Your gi tract is very long, water is both input and reabsorbed, with reabsorption usually being the net result. Iirc an average person usually has about 5-7l of fluid entering the gi tract from various secretions. How do you think the kind of watery diarrhoea caused by cholera happens?
Also even a "dry" biscuit contains water. Nuts are pretty much the only food I can think of that contain negligible amounts of water (apart from dehydrated foods obviously). My point however is not that you don't need to drink water to avoid dehydration, rather that you don't really have to drink loads of water with every meal just to be able to digest your food.

Yes amino acids can be converted into other energy substrates, however they are not sugars. Amino sugars are sugars, amino acids are not.

Yes fat is not generally used as an energy substrate in the brain and it normally relies on blood glucose or glycogen stores (although this is not exclusive as ketone bodies are used under fasting conditions. Iirc ketone bodies are one of the biproducts of gluconeogensis, the production of glucose from fats or amino acids.)
And yes I did just state that fats can be used to produce glucose. Google gluconeogensis if you want, I can't be arsed to reference it myself. In fact the supposed fat loss benefits of low carb diets are presumably due to an upregulation of gluconeogensis.

Edit: I decided to look up the water content of biscuits because my life is just that exciting, and it turns out some of them are indeed very dry. As low as 2% in some cases. !!!!!!!

That kind of digestion would take too long, retrieving water from the body.  Would take too long to digest anything.  Like to see you eat dry biscuits without fluid intake, see how long you can hold out.  Thats why I recommend drinking lots of water to go with a binge.

Generally when you deaminate an amino acid you get a carbohydrate structure.  A puppy only diet would provide for all your carbohydrate needs.

Fats are not an energy substrate altogether.  If you want to prove you can produce glucose from fats you better draw up a biosynthesis chart or find a link.

Fruits and veg are mainly indigestible carbs.  You ain't going to absorb much, only some small amounts from bacterial colony digestion. 

I therefore recommend a strict diet of fruit, veg and puppies for all your nutritional needs.

Vegetables maybe. Fruit definitely not. You can easily get into caloric surplus from eating indiscriminate, but still realistic amounts of (certain types of) fruit.

Nobody who wants to lose or even maintain weight should ever think of fruits as "free" food. It's imo a very common mistake that people cut out the intuitively "bad" food and compensate the cravings by gorging on fruit and getting completely pointless 500+ calories every day just from the fruit and then they wonder "omg im eating so healthy why is nothing happening".

Fruit is mainly water.  No way as worse as bread or biscuits.  People seem to forget that processed foods have a lot of starch which is far more fattening than fruit by far.  Just because its sweet doesn't mean its that rich.

:lol:
"That kind of digestion" is just digestion you unfortunately misguided individual. Your gi tract always contains water. Your stomach acid is obviously mostly water. Digestive enzymes are secreted with water. Your saliva contains water. You do need to drink water in general to avoid dehydration, but you don't need to drink water with your meals to digest them. Do you understand my point?

I wasn't denying that most amino acids can be used to produce glucose (although at least one is strictly ketogenic), but amino acids aren't sugars. And whilst there's no real literature on the subject there have been many reports of "rabbit starvation" ie people living of nothing but lean meats and still starving to death despite apparently having enough to eat. So I wouldn't recommend a "puppy only" or mostly protein diet.  Kind of impossible to say what the actual cause of that is, since it's obviously a bit unethical to investigate this phenomenon.

You seriously believe that fats, the most significant energy store in animals are not energy substrates? Why do we use them then?
Fatty acids are not used to produce glucose, however dietary fats are not just fatty acids. Most lipids are stored (and consumed) in the form of triglycerides. The glycerol molecule is used to make glucose. To be fair to you, fatty acids do form the majority of energy acquired from fats so I understand where the misconception comes from.

Kharille said:
Fruit is mainly water.  No way as worse as bread or biscuits.  People seem to forget that processed foods have a lot of starch which is far more fattening than fruit by far.  Just because its sweet doesn't mean its that rich.

Ain't nobody saying fruit is as bad as cookies. But that doesn't mean you should just go for it as much as you want. A lot of fruits can give you 10-15 grams of fructose per 100 grams. I'm saying if you're going to treat them as a "free" desert on top your normal diet and will eat 500-1000g of fruit every day which may seem excessive, but I know a considerable number of people who do that and it's not that hard - three bananas, two apples and a medium bowl of grapes spread over 24 hours will get you there - it will affect your caloric balance considerably, not to mention that the calories will all come fructose, which can't possibly be good.

It's like the people who think "but this yoghurt is LIGHT, so it means it's healthy, so I can eat as much of it as I want"

Back
Top Bottom