First thoughts and bug report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi, first of all I wanted to thank you for developing this mod and putting the time and effort into it, it is my favourite M&B mod and I thoroughly enjoy playing it.

Especially sending your Phalanx across the field, I haven't played around with with split troop assignment yet, thus enabling me to have 2 phalanges simultaneously, but I'll try to do that.
It surely is a lot of fun. I've got the troop limit at the moment at 260, I might increase that to fill up the ranks with more troops.

I've started two games so far. One as a Gallic noble raising a large army of Gallic cavalry, asking my liege to release me of my oath and moving down south to Crete to found my own kingdom. My tactic was to station infantry and archery troops in towns/castles and keep only cavalry with me, I topped up the ranks with Greek and Macedon cavalry. Together with my path finding skill, that enabled me to have a strong and fast army of over 300 cavalry units, that would crack enemy Phalanges in no time.

The other game I started as a Macedon warrior (infantry), serving in different armies. I stayed in each army until it was defeated and then changed to another one, that enabled me to make a lot of money from loot, get my hands onto some good arms and armour and gain a lot of experience and try out the really cool slingshot, I made a few good head shots with it, throwing cavalrymen off their horse.  The feature to serve in somebodies army is really cool, because you just can straight away participate in huge battles and you don't have to worry about controlling your forces, you can just enjoy being right in the middle of it. The mod gives you a really good ancient feeling through very well made items and nicely done troops.

After going through four different armies of four different nations, I've decided to start hiring my own troops to build up my own army. I am still unmounted and I am not hiring any cavalry units, mainly infantry and a few archery units to engage the enemy whilst my phalanx is moving in. I was hired as a mercenary and I am trying to win favour with the king, to become a vassal. I am fighting on the Hellenic side now against the Macedons. It's a lot of fun, the more difficult part is to protect my archery/skirmisher units from Macedon cavalry units.

All together, I love the mod and the feel of it, it's really cool. Obviously as any mod it has to deal with all the faults and weaknesses it inherits from M&B/M&B:WB vanilla.

Now to the bugs:

- The doors in cities and castles are wrong. The door for the prison is a door to the enterprise, the door for the castle is a door to the city.

This did not bother me too much, but I got the quest to help a lord to break out of jail (a really cool quest to get btw.).
Now there is double bug when I went into the castle in disguise I was seen and had to fight the guards. In the next scene I am naked (walking in the courtyard scene) but had my bodyguard companion with me. I bribed the prison guard to be let into the prison, that worked, I spoke to the prisoner and told him I will get him out of here, he told me that I need the keys for the chains on his feet. So I went back to the courtyard (again naked), fought the prison guard, killed him (actually my bodyguard did) and when I wanted to enter the prison I ended up in the enterprise (the bakery). I have not other option than to conquer the castle I suppose.

- Some farmers/thieves/peasants have invisible legs, I assume they are using a wrong item as shoes.

- Some of my ministers have invisible hands, I think it has to do with their armour (the cloak) in that case and not with gloves.

- On the battle map where there are ruins, the units on your side always get stuck along the mountain.

- The value/price of some items is 0, but equivalent items are available for gold.

- Controlling your troops becomes very buggy after you've given them orders to attack a certain type of enemy (I think I encountered that before in another mod)

- This might not be a bug just something which hasn't been done yet, but unlike the player party, the icon of other parties does not change into a ship when on water.

- I think on some maps the war-chest is missing.

- one of the Gallic Lords is naked.

(I might have forgotten some of the bugs I've encountered, I will comment below should I remember them or encounter any new ones)

Now things the mod could improve on according to my taste:

- In siege maps, having a broader/additional ladder would be good, sieges would be quicker and more fun (I think).

- I am not sure if its possible on the battle map with the bridge, to force the units actually use the bridge, would be cool. To have on the edge of the map a place where you can cross the river (much slower of course) would be good for tactical reasons, if you want to outflank your enemy and crush him from the rear.

- Obviously more ancient scenes would be good.

- ancient clothing (perhaps different from culture to culture, obviously all the Roman and Hellenistic people can look the same, but Gauls, Egyptians should look different) for the ladies, ministers, farmers/peasants, etc....

- the additional nations you've been talking about

- a troop tree / troop guide would be good, there are so many troops and I would like to organise them into infantry / pole-arm infantry / extra long pole-arm infantry

- maybe sea battles

- catapults !?

- elephants

Hello and thank you for such a detailed post and glad you're enjoying the mod! I'll address the parts that are relevant to my position in the team (scener) and haven't been talked about in the FAQ on ModDB or in the bug thread here.

heermann said:
- On the battle map where there are ruins, the units on your side always get stuck along the mountain.
I haven't been able to reproduce this bug and after looking at the scene I couldn't discern a reason for this. If you could provide a screenshot I could look into it more. The other bugs are known, though someone else might point out some things about them.

heermann said:
- In siege maps, having a broader/additional ladder would be good, sieges would be quicker and more fun (I think).
These are being worked on as more scenes are added.

heermann said:
- I am not sure if its possible on the battle map with the bridge, to force the units actually use the bridge, would be cool. To have on the edge of the map a place where you can cross the river (much slower of course) would be good for tactical reasons, if you want to outflank your enemy and crush him from the rear.
The troops crossing elsewhere is by design to make the battle less grindy, since the AI isn't that adebt at tactics. It also allows them to flee a bit better and makes the bridge more a facet than the focal point.

heermann said:
(Not that related to scening, but worth pointing out anyway.) Like we've said multiple times and in many places, we'll add factions when they're done, and they're done whenever we happen to have them done.

Right, that basically covers that, more replies should follow.

maybe a scorpio, onager and ballista should fit more the time period :lol:

as I see it, reading again and again and also again Bellum Gallicum by Julius Caesar, a must to have in this mod it is an overhaul of the entire system of sieging...
  I mean two ladders in one scene is completely superb idea, well done!  :wink: but what if there will be VINEA, MUSCULA and assault Towers, or instead of that what if there will be embankment or AGGER in Latin Language?
ladders relates simply too much to the typical medieaval warfare or to say in other words to M&B idea of a siege. Romans, but not only these, even the "Barbarians", were very hardworkers: a siege was not a matter of time and it could last more than 5 years. they didn't waste their lifes running on uncovered ladders. my examples are of course Masada, and the siege of Masselia in which the entire forest that surrounded the city was used to build an agger higher than the entire city walls.
that Romans sons of *****es... after hours and hours of march they managed to build every time their camp. and they did it pretty well, consider the cities they created!

in addition to this think of Alexander siege of Tyre. 'nuff said :lol:

Regarding elephants it has been often said they would never be seen  in this mod due to the limited Warband engine that actually would make them incredibly ugly and useless.

haoy Kick have you seen this props made by fedeita http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=22099 ?
first attempts of creating a mediterranean flora. can these be useful for ze Mod of yours?

KickingJoub said:
Hello and thank you for such a detailed post and glad you're enjoying the mod! I'll address the parts that are relevant to my position in the team (scener) and haven't been talked about in the FAQ on ModDB or in the bug thread here.

heermann said:
I haven't been able to reproduce this bug and after looking at the scene I couldn't discern a reason for this. If you could provide a screenshot I could look into it more. The other bugs are known, though someone else might point out some things about them.

Thank you for your reply.

I've just checked, I haven't got a screenshot of it. It basically happens if you have cavalry (not sure if it happens as well to infantry) and you give them the order to charge from the starting position. As the enemy is kind of behind the mountain and the valley makes some sort of a bend the get stuck along the edge of the wall. You need to give them then the order either to follow you and place the hold-marker somewhere in the village. This is not a problem if the units are under your control, but if not, you need to go towards the enemy (who is holding ground) and lure them towards the ruins, so that your allied troops come into the valley.

I will try to reproduce it later on and post the pic tonight or tomorrow.

Bug thread..., I need to visit that :wink: and I'll have a look at that FAQ, too.

KickingJoub said:
heermann said:
These are being worked on as more scenes are added.

I think especially the siege scenes need to be amended, as this has impacts on the gameplay. I don't want to wait for ages to have them melee each other down. I've even won sieges (laid by myself) without winning much room on the walls, I would love it if there was a slaughter going on inside the city or castle courtyard.

Do you have a list of non-native scenes which you've already included into the mod? I would like to visit them to have a look at them.

KickingJoub said:
heermann said:
The troops crossing elsewhere is by design to make the battle less grindy, since the AI isn't that adebt at tactics. It also allows them to flee a bit better and makes the bridge more a facet than the focal point.

I would personally prefer to have the bridge as the focal point. I think if you are quick enough to place your men on it, the enemy will use the bridge. It happened to me before, I guess I just need to be quicker next time, other wise they cross right next to the bridge, which takes them much longer than over the bridge and causes their whole army to die in the ditch, as by the time they want to climb up again, my army is standing there awaiting them.

KickingJoub said:
heermann said:
(Not that related to scening, but worth pointing out anyway.) Like we've said multiple times and in many places, we'll add factions when they're done, and they're done whenever we happen to have them done.

I know, I know, I just had to make mention of it :wink:

EFREM said:
maybe a scorpio, onager and ballista should fit more the time period :lol:

as I see it, reading again and again and also again Bellum Gallicum by Julius Caesar, a must to have in this mod it is an overhaul of the entire system of sieging...
  I mean two ladders in one scene is completely superb idea, well done!  :wink: but what if there will be VINEA, MUSCULA and assault Towers, or instead of that what if there will be embankment or AGGER in Latin Language?
ladders relates simply too much to the typical medieaval warfare or to say in other words to M&B idea of a siege. Romans, but not only these, even the "Barbarians", were very hardworkers: a siege was not a matter of time and it could last more than 5 years. they didn't waste their lifes running on uncovered ladders. my examples are of course Masada, and the siege of Masselia in which the entire forest that surrounded the city was used to build an agger higher than the entire city walls.
that Romans sons of *****es... after hours and hours of march they managed to build every time their camp. and they did it pretty well, consider the cities they created!

in addition to this think of Alexander siege of Tyre. 'nuff said :lol:

Regarding elephants it has been often said they would never be seen  in this mod due to the limited Warband engine that actually would make them incredibly ugly and useless.

haoy Kick have you seen this props made by fedeita http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=22099 ?
first attempts of creating a mediterranean flora. can these be useful for ze Mod of yours?

Thanks for the reply,

I basically thought about some sort of a siege engine, that works like a cannon. It's not really important for me though.
And I would not want to spend 1825 in-game days (5 years) laying siege. I like a fluid game flow, but if there is something that can make sieges more interesting, that would be great.

Including those camps would be good, not sure if you can make the AI-parties camp on the map, and then use a fortified encampment as a battle map.

Yeah, its a problem with the skeleton I think. It's not that important either tbh.

Back
Top Bottom