First player character messed up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Titan357

Sergeant
I guess its normal, but I think I have put my frist player character into too much of a bind and didn't really make him special in any way.

I kinda just put points here and there, just making more of a general jack of all master of none kind of deal, but he is already level 26, and I don't I can save him with out investing way more time then it would be worth, because the way I see it, I would need at least 10 more levels to make him combat or leader insted of just having skills here and there.

I know that's not a good way to put it, so I will just say it like this, I put points into power draw, and have only used bows in the arena, and I have lots of skills at 1-2 like tracking, and its kinda useless for me along with trade because my other NPC heros have them, but higher.
If I start over, and figure out want I want to use, like say I just wanted to be a Heavy armored footman using a big sheild and 1hander, with a 2hander for backup and throwing weapons for some range ( ill put points into throwing and level the 1/2handers by use ) insted of what I have now, points in power draw, power throw and horse archery, but I never use a bow.

What I thought about doing ( I guess you could call it power gaming, I call it playing a role, not that it matters. ) was when I start a new game, take all the +Int picks and then putting most points into INT and the rest split betwee STR/AGI and see how that works, and level STR/AGI every level.
That way I could take skills to help keep my small force ( I like keeping my army small as I can with elite top teir troops ) alive and also have skills to help in seiges, while having some comnat skills.
This leaves room for taking prisoners and INV space, and tactics to help even the odds.
Add in a few points in trianer to help get the recruits up to speed.

But any way, how many of you have messed up your first player character because you didn't know what you wanted and how things work?

I really want to try the ablove setup, and also a pure archer, but that should give me enough combat skills to be usefull, that way I can hire the a few combat heros, with some others to help even things out.

Best solution: Export character, count total attributes and skill points, edit them to whatever you like but keeping the same total, import.

Never ever, put points in to INT, beyond level 12. That is far enough. I level STR:AGT:CHR in a 2:2:1 ratio. I need to be a good fighter and have loads of men with me. I always put my points in power draw/power strike(depending on what I am) and athletics/riding(again depending). I always max my training and weapon master. As for Charisma, leadership and prisoner management are needed there.

never thought about that  :shock:
Guess I could.

Mabons said:
Never ever, put points in to INT, beyond level 12. That is far enough. I level STR:AGT:CHR in a 2:2:1 ratio. I need to be a good fighter and have loads of men with me. I always put my points in power draw/power strike(depending on what I am) and athletics/riding(again depending). I always max my training and weapon master. As for Charisma, leadership and prisoner management are needed there.

I like to keep my army small, 50-60 is pushing it, 20-30 is more my style as I like to just fight bandits and do little quests untill I join a faction, then I just follow there arym around when I am called.
Even my current guy who has a stats every where can take on 2:1 odds and I never have to do much of the killing my self, those nord elite troops are amazing.
and keeping the army small means I move faster and its much less costly, I dont care much for calv. though, I use mounts on my heros, but have them dismount for battle.
Speed is good for chasing down small running partys.

well I was wanting to max my starting stats,
I think I can start with
STR 5
AGI 4
INT10
CHA 6

through the base picks, and then add the rest in from there, that also gives me
Riding-1
Leadership-1
Trade+3
INV-2
Weapon Master-2
Surgery-1
wound treatment-1
Persuasion-1

or I could go with several others i theory crafted up while sitting here bored at work.

character - statistics - export character. once you've done that go to your m&b icon and right click > open location. there should be a folder named "char export" click that and there should be a text file with your name.. click that :smile: now theres a list of all the skills and you can just put the ones you dont want to 0 and the ones you want to whatever (up to 10) this can be used to cheat but whats the fun in that? just try give to your stats only what you take ^_^

An4Sh said:
Best solution: Export character, count total attributes and skill points, edit them to whatever you like but keeping the same total, import.

he's obviously new :razz: why not walk him through it?

killer-blead said:
or you can just train your companions focussed on what you want them to learn like tactics, pathfinding or surgery.
I am already so far in I have had some leave, and some have stats all over just like me, my PC has around 300 days on him, but ony 160 in the current game, already exported/imported once and it kinda felt like cheating.

I think I have got the game down pretty well, and have a idea of what I want, so I might start a new game in Lords and Relms, and save native EXP and 1275 for later.

I was just wondering what others thought, I figured taking a lot of INT to start with and building STR/agi would be good, cause like I said, I am not looking to lead a massive army, I have had up to 70 in my current game, and its a hasle to try to keep them fed and happy, along with the wages and how slow they move compared to a smaller force, good tactics and good troops ( huscarls ) led me to a vitcory helping a friendly lord my combined 120 against 450 some ( battle sizer at 150 )
with me only loosing 15 or so and the other lord loosing around 50 ( AI kept rushing in like a tard ) and completely wiping the other army.

clixer said:
An4Sh said:

he's obviously new :razz: why not walk him through it?

Hey brah don't turn on me, that's not cool when you can just say it's a most excellent suggestion and THEN provide a step by step guide on how to do it. >:I

captain lust said:
I've made tons of characters.

My first one sucked.

But it can be fun to suck.

Too true. I always find it amusing when I get my arse handed to me when I'm playing stupidly  :lol:

Even if you don't want to lead a bigger party now, you might want to, later in the game. Almost all INT skills are party skills, meaning your companions could have them instead of you. On the other hand the Leadership skill is for your character only and it becomes very important during the late game.

For a reroll I'd go with Charisma as a priority. When you level up, spending a point in charisma is frustrating because you only get to have one more soldier on your max party member count. You want 12 at least there.

In the same spirit, where you want a high Leadership skill, don't read "The Life of Alixenus the Great" before you get the max charisma you want.

This_is__CALRADIA!!! said:
Even if you don't want to lead a bigger party now, you might want to, later in the game. Almost all INT skills are party skills, meaning your companions could have them instead of you. On the other hand the Leadership skill is for your character only and it becomes very important during the late game.

For a reroll I'd go with Charisma as a priority. When you level up, spending a point in charisma is frustrating because you only get to have one more soldier on your max party member count. You want 12 at least there.

In the same spirit, where you want a high Leadership skill, don't read "The Life of Alixenus the Great" before you get the max charisma you want.

Could I get some of that from renown?

well anyway I could so something like this ( note that its just how I can start through the life story picks )

STR 5
AGI 4
INT 9
CHA 9

Then bring INT/CHA to 10 each and put rest into STR/AGI.
that would be 10 troops from Chrisma and +5 from the leadership to start, so 15 with out ever having to spend any points, add one point to leadership and thats 20.

That's the way you learn the tricks, making a messed up char will work positive towards you eventually, because you learn from the mistakes you made.

I was kind of lucky cause I played the trail version (a lot earlier version, like 0.8 something, it had Zendar) and I had a friend who had played a bit, so I made like 20-30 chars, one pure trader, that sucked, one pure leadership and stuff, that sucked, loads of others.. And, I found out that what I have now is what I like, but what I have now is WAY different then what the guys propose.

My char is lvl 35, it have

Str: 12
Agi: 12
Int: 27
Cha: 12

I have 9 in path and INV, 8 in spotting, and other high skills, like engineer.. I'm going to spend my next 3 levels in getting 30 int and max out path, inv and spotting, then I don't know.. and after that I'll pretty much be done with the char anyway, only a bit of Khergit land and the nords left to take..

The reason I went pure int is because I gain levels faster then my heroes.. I'm about 8 levels higher then my highest 3 heroes (they are the same level) and I've had them since.. oh.. around day 20-50.. So, I found out that since I gain levels faster, I should pick the partyskills. And, since I have the highest skill I also get the bonus from some of my heroes that are mainly int as well. My party can move with speed over 8 with around 80 men on horse.. That's pretty fast! And with the high spotting it makes bandit hunting a dream and chasing down enemies really easy. The other good thing is that you spend less time moving around on the map, and that means less morale lost per long trip, this means I don't have to fight all the time to keep my morale up.

The reason I have high INV is simply to be able to have heaps of food so that I can feed a giant army (I have a party cap of around 175) and still be able to get loot.

I have 5 in leadership (due to that book) and I don't think I'll raise cha any more since I'd need to put 6 points in it to get leadership up. My renown gives me a hefty partysize so I don't really need the leadership for that, and since I loose little morale when moving and are able to have heaps of food I don't need leadership to keep my morale up either.

For the big sieges I bring out some high tier infantry guys from my cities and castle and go full out with an army of around 175, and I can keep the morale rather high since I'm able to catch enemies to fight due to my high pathfinding.

When I fight I rely on couched lance damage, so I don't really need any powerstrike. I have put insanely few points into combat skills, but I still have a polearm proficiency of around 370. Only combatskill I've put points into is horseriding so that I'm able to maneuver with greater speed so that my lance hit more enemies.

It must also be said that I play on really easy, 26% or so..

EDIT: You should note that getting to lvl 35 takes a while.. My game is 650 or so days old.. If you want a char to play for a loooong time and beat every other faction it pays to go this way, but if you just want to have some fun with a char you should probably go with a combat build and let some heros take care of the partyskills.

er... this last post got me with one question... what is the max level in the game? I really was thinking it was 99 or 100 so that I could max everything out  :neutral:

Ow... That's a nut.. I know its been asked and answered before, and I think it was a silly number, like 64 or something..

But, to get higher then 50 takes really long time.. I'm at 35 and have played for around 650 days.. Every time I gain a level now is like Christmas..

My first character is my best. level 45 without cheating, master horse archer.  Of course, I knew before I bought the game i wanted to be a horse archer

stygN said:
Ow... That's a nut.. I know its been asked and answered before, and I think it was a silly number, like 64 or something..

But, to get higher then 50 takes really long time.. I'm at 35 and have played for around 650 days.. Every time I gain a level now is like Christmas..

If you go solo you can earn much more exp to level insanely fast, Im not recruiting any soldier until I have 30 intelligence and I reach that within 2-3 ingame weeks.

I tried a lot of characters and I figured only foot soldiers require high strength and agility, on horseback you can do fine with only 9-9 on them (not that great) but I usually go up to 12 strength and 15 agility (which is more than enough to fight any battle), than I pump Intelligence, when I reach 30 Int and I have the medic skills +trainer maxed I get an army and I go conquering, from than on I put every point on charisma.

Back
Top Bottom