First Impressions (Long post)

Users who are viewing this thread

DanaDark

Recruit
Hello everybody, I'd like to start off by stating the simple: Im new. Yes, brand spanking new to these here forums, and would like to share what I have experienced so far in Mount and Blade.

A long long time ago... well, a few days ago anyway... I was bored at work and decided to look up game reviews at PCGamer. I am always looking for new and interesting games to play, especially more free-form ones that break the mold. I found a review for Mount and Blade (which someone said there arent really any...) and decided to read it.

To my surprise, I found out that Paradox Interactive was publishing it, one of my favorite all time publishers... (again, someone said they aren't known...) so immediately I checked the paradox interactive forums and looked around, eventually finding the main website and these forums.

After I got home, I downloaded the game v0.96 and installed it... very quickly too. Upon trying it out... the graphics were not impressive. Actually, they kinda sucked. A lot. But, I have crappy graphics games that are fun, so I decided to give it a shot. I made my character and customized my appearance... which with all accounts every which way I could make a character, he/she was ugly no matter what (Yay medieval realism for sure!). So, upon accepting the fact that perhaps not everyone in the 1200s looked like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt, I took what I could get, hit accept, and appeared in the game.

So... Im in a field... on a horse. Thats it. Wow. Talk about being dropped in. But hey, I have a horse! So, I saw the training field and went there. Once there I decided to put the difficulty up to normal and have the smartest AI possible. Figured it'd be like most other games where at lvl 1 I could defeat entire armies (while not being able to even glance meanly at a merchant)... I beat 2 novice fighters handily... and then got beat down by a shirtless and nearly pantless man with a stick.

Imagine my utter consternation that somehow... I was defeated. By a novice. Me... of all people... never once having touched a blade, being defeated by a fighter in training. My goodness. Welp, I chopped it up to realism, and kinda liked the idea that I am not exactly Athena on steroids. So now I look the part of a 1200s person and fight with the ability expected of someone starting out in a life of violence.

I could not, for the life of me, get past the second wave after the novice fighters. So, I stopped and decided to go out in the big ol' world myself. Back to the field. With a horse. No clue what I am doing or where I am going. So I sought out some looters. Defeated them and felt good. was a whole 4 of them. Go me! Eventually found the big towns and found out about buying goods and selling them at other places. Eventually went to villages and recruited people as well... although they were about as affective as a cup cake in battle.

I spent most of my time running around trading, trying to pick fights I had decent chances of winning, participating in tournaments, being ambushed in city streets late at night, and exploring the map.

So far, I am very addicted even with the poop poor graphics and the revelation that I cannot be a supermodel in magical armor that can eat dragons for breakfast immediately at level 1.

I am loving the more realistic feel I am getting in the game, especially with weapon choices and the knowledge the game will only get better. Heck, I am surprised that I can play the full game up to lvl 6 or so for free, even before the game is out. And then, I looked up the mod section here and my goodness... the game isnt even out yet and there's mods... I love it! And several of the mods fix the graphics quite a bit from the screenshots I seen, so Im definately going to try those out. I surely hope the modders keep it coming even after V1.0.

I am just hoping I manage to become more than a lonely trader roaming the open fields... not due to game mechanics... but due to my own risk vs reward assessment. I can lose a lot if I lose an armed battle!

You know, I honestly like the graphics. Sure, it's not like crysis or anything (even though past the graphics I thought Crysis was rather bad), but I still think it looks really good for a game that requires so little.

There's quite a few mods out there that improve on the graphics of the game - you should probably be able to find some by browsing and searching around here.

I personally recommend:

"Light mipmap mod"

+

"Face Textures"

+

"Realistic Steel Textures"

+

"Bloom"

+

"Standard Weapons Upgrade project"

Glad to hear you like the game though!

EasyCo506 said:
You know, I honestly like the graphics. Sure, it's not like crysis or anything (even though past the graphics I thought Crysis was rather bad), but I still think it looks really good for a game that requires so little.

Hey its an indie game, I have tried/seen other indie games and the graphics are so bad you feel like puking, feel like going back to play the arcade game of Donkey Kong (the 1980s game), but M&B is alright, just as good as Star Wars Battlefront or similar 2004 games, I think we might get graphics improvements on the final release, but my computer can barely run Battlefield Vietnam so...
In spite of all this the game is amazing, one of the best games I own, maybe the best.

Realistic Steel Textures you may wanna hold off on, they are far to shiny right now.

I agree with most of what you said, except the graphics, I think they are rather nice...nowhere near as crappy as you say. Buff them out with the mods as you said and they can look really good.You'll be happy when you're in a battle of a few hundred men and don't have Crysis Graphics(CPU fry / GPU fry anyone?)

Meh, I am accustomed to playing more modern-tech MMORPGs on high graphic settlings, and have built two computers for that purpose. So, Im a rather immense graphics kinda guy, but still take gameplay over graphics.

Perhaps some people here didn't understand me in regards to graphics...

They aren't great. That's for sure. I've seen better graphics all over.
BUT
This is still beta. There are graphics changes in the works. There are mods available to improve graphics... which I have already said I'd get.

So, yeah, reading comprehension ftw.

I have given quite a rave beginner's review for a game that is still in developement and already has promises of great changes before release.

I've only been playing the game a few days too n yeah graphics aren't the best but even by the terms of recent games they are by no means bad

and yeah i agree that gaming should be game play over graphics policy but graphics make things better.

DanaDark said:
Heck, I am surprised that I can play the full game up to lvl 6 or so for free, even before the game is out.
Heck, I'm surprised you haven't bought it already!

[quote author=Skyrage]Play Dwarf Fortress then as well :razz:[/quote]
So, let's talk about bad graphics, newbie unfriendliness and kick arse gameplay. :smile:

[quote author=Vilhjalmr]I woke up half an hour later in a ditch with my brain on a train to Kentucky.[/quote]
You was lucky, I must say. There were reports of people waking up in the forth dimension.

Well, let me list things I dislike graphically, and notes....
1. Animations seem stale and mechanical. Not very life-like.
2. My characters seem to have disproportionally small heads for their bodies, yet have seen screen shots of people that seem to have proportions right. Maybe Im just crazy in this aspect >.>
3. Not much specular lighting. The world seems dull and gray. However, been seeing screenshots of more lively colored worlds un-moded. Perhaps I just havent been fighting in areas with better scenery.
4. Any character I make is ugly. And I don't mean bad graphics, I mean its darn hard to make someone look decent!

Overall, to me it greatly lacks: POLISH.

Buttt......

Polish is whats happening now before official release. So, I just say what I notice now rather than scream bloody murder. I really honestly do think ALL of my graphical concerns will be remedied by v1.0 and if not, surely by the modding community.

Yes I will buy the game. Heck, as is I'd still buy it.

Ha ha, you look just dandy. New armors might help my guys and gals... they look like street urchins... oh wait o_O

Im at work! Desk job = forum trolling lol.

Although, when I get home I am gonna see about some of the graphic enhancement mods.

This game falls along the line of Medieval Simulator, and probably only 1/1000 people back then actually looked good. After enough fiddling around, I have a guy who looks like Jean Reno, so that's cool.

Don't expect Graphics to get much better with 1.0. Mods will help, but 0.960 is very close to the 1.0's release and as such, it won't drastically change into better Graphics.

I currently think the world has a very real, dark, and ominous feel to it, and I like it, I don't need Ultra-bloom, unrealistic lighting like Oblivion or so.
070119.jpg

The GE 2.0 Project has some amazing things being doen, go check out that page right now - The latest Screenshots look damned amazing.

The Graphics were purposely toned down by the devs because even with a strong system, this game can slowdown significantly / crash with a few hundred troops(Anything over 400 like me, it gets down to 25-30FPS, playable, but it will crash alot)

Back
Top Bottom