Find the spy quest is counter intuitive, can you guess on your own?

Users who are viewing this thread

True about the BL models, and I run it on very low cos it's an old laptop...maybe I got lucky and guessed the correct age haha - Not done that quest since
Guys. It has nothing to do with age in reality. You don't really have to look for "younger" or "older" guy.
There are for characteristics in total that are mentioned:

1. Hair 2. Beard 3. Scars (facepaint) 4. Sword

There are 4 guys and each of them lacks exactly one characteristic.

1. Dude A - Has hair, Beard and Scars (facepaint) - The clues you get for this guy are: Has hair, Has beard, Has sword. They won't mention if he has or does not has scars, so when they tell you he had hair, had beard AND that nasty looking sword by his side, that means it's him)

2. Dude B - Has hair, Beard and AXE (instead of sword. He's the more dark one with goatee and he's the only that has axe, not a sword) - The clues you get for this guy are: Has hair, has beard, doesn't have the scars (So now, there's no word about sword this time. And he's the only guy who has both Hair AND beard and doesn't have scars, so it must be him)

3. Dude C - Has beard, No hair and no scars, and has sword - Clues for this guy are: No scars, Nasty looking sword, Beard - They don't mention the hair this time, and since this is the only guy with sword, no scars and beard, it must be that bold guy.

4. Dude D - No beard, Has hair, has sword - Clues are: Had no scars, had nasty sword, normal head of hair. So now they don't mention beard.

In fact, all you have to do, is to see what clue is left out. Sword = axe guy, hair = bold guy, beard = beardless guy, scars = scarred guy.

Just got this quest on a new playthrough. Clues were: sword, beard and not bald. 2 contenders had all 3. One had face paintings, so I chose the one without the face marking. It ended up not being him. Its not always clear.

Just got this quest on a new playthrough. Clues were: sword, beard and not bald. 2 contenders had all 3. One had face paintings, so I chose the one without the face marking. It ended up not being him. Its not always clear.
If clues were Sword, Beard and Hair - then it's the Dignified Contender (The guy with facepaint). The one you choose, who had beard and hair and no facepaint had NO SWORD. He has AXE on his side.

It was a sword. I'm looking at the screenshot right now. You are correct that the one I should have picked was the dignified.

**Edited to add**

I apologize, you were right. I had mistaken the handle of the axe for a scabbard because it was at night when I did the quest. I saw it when I reloaded. I have a deep distrust of the quests in the game at this point. Glad I was mistaken!

Last edited:
It was a sword. I'm looking at the screenshot right now. You are correct that the one I should have picked was the dignified.

**Edited to add**

I apologize, you were right. I had mistaken the handle of the axe for a scabbard because it was at night when I did the quest. I saw it when I reloaded. I have a deep distrust of the quests in the game at this point. Glad I was mistaken!
Yeah, so many quests are broken/not finished it's no surprising you look at them with doubtful eye :smile:)

So you can get more than three clues? And there can be more than three 'contenders'? Can they actually flee if you're asking around too much?

Last one I did, none of them matched. Hair, beard, no face markings... only one with hair and a beard had face paint.

I like this quest because, as everyone has said, it's easy once you get the 3 clues. The names and characteristics of the suspects never change from town to town, either, so you can eliminate suspects as you go. (This is all for version 1.4.1, just to be clear.)

The Dignified Contender has a full head of hair, a beard, facial tattoos, and a sword.
The Hardy Contender has a full head of hair, a clean-shaven face, no facial marks, and a sword.
The Confident Contender has a full head of hair, a beard, no facial marks, and carries an axe.
The Bold Contender is bald, has a beard, no facial marks, and a sword.

The most efficient way to deal with this quest is to ask around in the tavern. Most of the time, you can get all three clues there, and there are a bunch of people in close proximity so there's less walking around involved. If the first clue mentions that the spy has a sword, you can immediately eliminate the Confident Contender. Then if the next one mentions a beard, you can immediately eliminate the Hardy Contender. And so forth. If you're lucky and get all three clues in the tavern, you can walk out and straight up to the spy and challenge him without having to actually look at him. I usually spend more of my time during this quest trying to find my way around the twisting streets than anything else!

Back
Top Bottom