Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rapidshare, Fileshare ect.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • MBrepository

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

my opinion:

offer dumb archive files (using mbrepository is good) as starters.  Most people's expertise ends here. it is not practical to assume most people can setup and use subversion even with detail instructions.

AND, if there is a lot of files and enough demands for subversion (e.g. merging into own mods) or just make it easier to do team development, setup subversion repository.  My advice is that this be left to users who already knows how to use subversion...

in short, even if you prefer svn, do provide dumb archive packs somewhere.  (else the time and effort you make take to educate the users of your mod how to use svn can easily eat into the time that you could have spent developing your mod)

When suggesting SVN, I meant it's for development of a mod by a group of people (it's pretty much ideal solution). That's what "file sharing" suggests in the original post.

If it's for distribution of release among end users then surely use MB repository, that's what it's for.

Except someone was just talking about their SVN getting hacked... not sure if that is REALLY what happened, but they wound up with something funny in their files. Of course, in a group of 10 or so people, one is bound to be a pathological liar, and therefore it was probably something one of the devs added without telling anyone else.

Still it sounds all too fishy to me. I've never heard of ANY security breaches at the M&B Repository - you can even set passwords so only certain people can dl certain files. Pretty secure.

N0ught said:
Except someone was just talking about their SVN getting hacked... not sure if that is REALLY what happened, but they wound up with something funny in their files. Of course, in a group of 10 or so people, one is bound to be a pathological liar, and therefore it was probably something one of the devs added without telling anyone else.

In the world of svn, there's BLAME.  and it's called that for good reasons  :mrgreen:

sphere said:
In the world of svn, there's BLAME.  and it's called that for good reasons  :mrgreen:
In the world of svn, there are also LOGS. You can't add anything w/o others being able to see it and trace back all the steps

N0ught said:
Of course, in a group of 10 or so people, one is bound to be a pathological liar...
This thread has more than 10 people already  :lol: Let's play the guessing game based on your theory

Yeah that kind of thing is why I develop mods entirely myself. Ego clashes and people going permanently A.W.O.L. will ruin any project. Seen it happen many times. People may question some of my modding methods, but I have never been left holding the bag, and never will be. :mrgreen:

GetAssista said:
sphere said:
In the world of svn, there are also LOGS. You can't add anything w/o others being able to see it and trace back all the steps

N0ught said:
Of course, in a group of 10 or so people, one is bound to be a pathological liar...
This thread has more than 10 people already  :lol: Let's play the guessing game based on your theory

Good to know, about the logs - they should be able to find out who did it then.

And out of us it's really anyone's guess. I know I'm honest (fallibly so). But one of us IS a moderator, so I would tend to lean in that direction.  :lol: :razz:

Google code/projects is for open source project hosting. You upload your little "closed beta" and risk getting banned. Majority project hosting sites(including google) use SVN as source control/repository, listing them parallel is strange. MBrepo is good enough, and any upload site with password protected files is viable choice.

GetAssista said:
SVN all the way. Google for specifics
we are using svn.xp-dev.com hosting. Can't be better
xp-dev has lowered free user quota long ago. 200MB now for your project. If your project is light, it's good enough from every aspect.

Yoshiboy said:
faradon said:
Def. SVN for more serious, large teams and mods!

SVN is best for development but as far as I can tell he is interested in public distribution.
lancecor said:
Actually, I agree, we are new at this and publicity is not a priority now, when we want publicity we will post it on multiple places, we just need to set it all up and experiment, my team is going to release a multiplayer teaser first with a closed beta, then with a open beta, lastly a full release of the teaser. We will then release many closed betas followed by several open betas then a full release which we will continue to update, we don't need complicated programs we need fast efficient ones that we can use to wip out these betas and release the versions.

Our status is having one coder who will assemble the mod, but we may need a way for all of us to get the files in case someone can't do something that day because they are busy ect.

? :neutral:?

Back
Top Bottom