Figured out the cause of the never firing slings!

Users who are viewing this thread

It turns out that the code in the animations.txt used for making the slings spin is causing them to only randomly fire. If you disable this slings will work perfectly.

Also of note, people didn't spin slings or fustbalis' to fire them, they held them behind and "slung" them in an arc, much like a catapult or trebuchet. So not only would it fix slings if they don't spin for gameplay reasons, it's also completely accurate as well, the spinning of the slings is the real historical inaccuracy.

How did you find this?
And how exactly you disabled this .txt(and where he is located) to test?
If this really works, it would be better than the last provisory solition that I find

FelipeII said:
How did you find this?
And how exactly you disabled this .txt(and where he is located) to test?
If this really works, it would be better than the last provisory solition that I find

I've been trying to figure out the issue for a while, as I've brought slings into a number of different mods I play using the RaW code (which, honestly, looks a lot better). If you look at the entries for each of these animations, you'll notice a value after the values for animation duration:
RaW code
ready_musket 1678770176 606089226  1
  0.100000 throwing_slinge_20_35 0 15 268435975 28707 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
release_musket 1678770176 572534794  1
  0.900000 throwing_slinge 34 60 513 28707 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
reload_musket 0 35651644  1
  0.300000 throwing_slinge 80 115 521 26137 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
VC code
ready_pistol 1048576 605036554  1
  0.600000 sling 0 31 268435463 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
ready_musket 1048576 605036554  1
  0.600000 sling_long 0 31 268435463 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
The values after the animation name, two numbers separated by spaces, denote the length of the animation, the values afterward are set to 1 and 0 on most animations, but not so on these ones. By changing the values back to 1 and 0 by default I disabled the spinning motion of the slings and caused them to work properly. I've got no idea what the values after the animation times do or are, and if anybody could explain this better that would be awesome.

Edit: I should also mention I had cut the animations into sections beforehand, to get rid of the spinning bit. I did this by opening the animation in openBrf, right clicking the animation, hit extract intervaul, and use the durations that looked best for the animation. This will create a new animation that you'll need to put into actions.txt by changing the name of the old animation with the new one. Ex: In the RaW source code I eliminated the spinning for ready up by extracting the new animation, which was named throwing_slinge_0_14 so I'd replace the throwing_slinge_20_35
section of the ready_musket animation with the new throwing_slinge_0_14. It's kind of complicated to explain but if you figure out how to do it it's dead simple.

There's no need to make separate animations. If you change the frame times in action.txt you'll get the same deal and not have to upload separate animations for people. For example, anim_human is a single 30000+ interval animation that's used for many little things in the game like poses and mounting a horse. Use those as a an example if you need to.

jacobhinds said:
There's no need to make separate animations. If you change the frame times in action.txt you'll get the same deal and not have to upload separate animations for people. For example, anim_human is a single 30000+ interval animation that's used for many little things in the game like poses and mounting a horse. Use those as a an example if you need to.

I think I did it more for my own comprehension, I'm just getting into how warband uses animations and triggers. I'm guessing all that would happen if you split the animation is you've got a larger .brf file and a slightly longer load time.

I gave it a shot but they still seemed to be waiting a while before firing, have no experience with animation stuff so probably cocked it up.  Any chance you could upload the correctly modified files?

kraggrim said:
I gave it a shot but they still seemed to be waiting a while before firing, have no experience with animation stuff so probably cocked it up.  Any chance you could upload the correctly modified files?

Sorry, didn't see your post. Bit of egg on my face, I didn't actually try VC slings when I'd posted that :oops: but I just tried em and my idea was right, there is now no "never firing" sling issue, I just did some test runs on VC to see. If you want to try it yourself, here's how, but REMEMBER TO BACK UP YOUR actions.txt!!!
1. Open actions.txt
2. cntrl f for sling
3. paste each of these over the sling and sling_long code respectively:
0.600000 sling 8 8 1 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
0.600000 sling_long 3 3 1 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
4. Save, exit, and test to make sure it works. I got the sections of the animation that have the sling directly behind you because they look (at least to me) the best.

Edit: Forgot to mention there's some slight delay between readying the sling up and firing, but unlike beforehand it doesn't cause the never firing issue. I'm pretty sure that's tied to the animation looping for the spinning.

VC really needs some new work on slings. They don't even have new animations for reloading (at the moment the same than native crossbow reloading)  :neutral:

mike56 said:
VC really needs some new work on slings. They don't even have new animations for reloading (at the moment the same than native crossbow reloading)  :neutral:

The throw animation is just the throwing stone animation, and the reload is like you say, the crossbow reload. The only thing they did that was new is the ready animation, which isn't even historically accurate.

Yeah, I always thought the helicopter rotor thing that slings had going on looked funny. In reality you'd make a single rotation and release, usually overhead, like an atl atl.

kraggrim said:
Cheers hoboistice.
No problem, hoping they integrate this into VC honestly.

sentinel329 said:
Are the sling animations for VC only to be found in actions.txt, or do they exist in any of the VC-specific .brf files?
Well, the only sling animations are the idle ones when they're readied up, and you would have to have the animation in the module otherwise you'd get a missing animation error (character goes into rigging position; stands up straight with arms in a T position) and they need to be detailed in actions.txt. You can alter animations to an extend just by manipulating them in actions.txt, like how I have described.

The animations themselves are located in the dedal_anims.brf file, in Resources.

Back
Top Bottom