Fighting in the ranks

Users who are viewing this thread

countzero

Recruit
So I have given up on trying to fight on foot in the ranks with my men :sad:

I seem to ahve two problems - the first is that every time i get hit (unavoidable in the crush), it interupts any attack i was making which means if someone can atk faster, i never get to fight back - also a problem if multiple people are hitting me.

Worse than that - I also cant attack in a crowd because its impossible to swing with people around me. I have tried doing stabs or over the head attacks but it never seems to work.

Has anyone had more luck with some kind of technique?

Last edited:
Normally you would kill your own people when you swing :grin: I use often a spear, it don't swing.
The rest is training i think.

iv tried using a spear but that has the same issue - worse in fact because its long and so it gets caught up in people easier.

It reid standing behind the formation and stabbing over peoples shoulders etc - nothing seems to work well :sad:

If you want to fight Frontline like in a Shieldwall or something, keep your Shield up until first Clash is over. Combat is actually decently realistic there. Only stab and overhead stab, take a short sword or axe plus a pike. Or take a rlly long 2-h Polearm and stand in 2nd or 3rd row and poke enemies from behind ur allies Shields :grin:

like Rukwa said, keep your shield up untill the first clash is done, it is a normal fight after that.
if you do not have a shield than you have no place being there in the first place,
if you fight with a 2h sword than you should command the rest of your 2h swords and flank the enemy after the first clash is over.

So I have given up on trying to fight on foot in the ranks with my men :sad:

I seem to ahve two problems - the first is that every time i get hit (unavoidable in the crush), it interupts any attack i was making which means if someone can atk faster, i never get to fight back - also a problem if multiple people are hitting me.

Worse than that - I also cant attack in a crowd because its impossible to swing with people around me. I have tried doing stabs or over the head attacks but it never seems to work.

Has anyone had more luck with some kind of technique?
1st problem can be avoided by parrying or blocking the 2nd hit. Or attacking a tiny bit faster. With weapons with more reach you can often have your opponent walk into your attack but the timing is very cruacial.

The attacks hitting your men is unfortunatly part of the game :/ In tight corridors I sometimes forget to do stabs or overhead as well and get my weapon clanging off the walls.

Maybe a shield bash is an option. Gotta admit I havent tried it yet as I keep forgetting about it but while standing still and raising your shield you can do the kick key (E by default I think?) to bash people with your shield.

Again, havent tried it yet but its an option, and seems to fit in well with the play style that you are going for :smile:

Yeah this is a point that has always frustrated me, even in M&B and Warband. Large clusters of fighters always = NPCs landing their hits on you and almost all of your attempts getting caught up in the mass of people and never landing. If it's too crowded for me to swing my sword, axe, etc. and land hits then it should be too crowded for NPCs as well.

The only way around this I've found is to wait for both sides to engage and then run around and attack enemies directly from behind or on the sides.

I agree, my experience is very similar. However, I don't mind it per se since that is how the chaotic fighting in the front should be like.

Though, considering everyone and their mother will have higher stats than you they will most likely attack faster than you. After playing some hours and leveling up your troops to say tier 3 plus, they will usually end up around 80-100+ in their primary attacks. And so are your enemies. This means, in my experience, my protagonist is usually always as a disadvantage 'cept for the fact of course I am human and thus can rationally make decisions and attacks/defends slightly better than the AI (though not me personally since I suck at fighting in this game, I mean theoritically).

In essence, my experience is that anything other than a 1 to 1, I lose. Always. I just stick to horse archery and some pokey poke, it's the only way I can contribute other than giving orders. When my units are teir 6 they will all have 100+ higher skills than me in their weapon proficiences. After 30 plus hours of almost pure horse archery and hundreds of battles, I grinded it up to 100. After 5-10 battles of autoresolve, my recruits are level 6 with 130 archery. It of course doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but ah well. It's the way it is.

Yeah at the moment the exp-scaling makes it even harder, had the same experiences as Skatan

@Demoulius you should try the Shieldbash, its supremely fun and amezeballs in tournaments :grin: i usually try to flow my attacks into one another, so block->hit->shieldbash->hit->block and repeat, works pretty well, even against higher lvl enemies

Yeah at the moment the exp-scaling makes it even harder, had the same experiences as Skatan

@Demoulius you should try the Shieldbash, its supremely fun and amezeballs in tournaments :grin: i usually try to flow my attacks into one another, so block->hit->shieldbash->hit->block and repeat, works pretty well, even against higher lvl enemies
Oh that sounds pretty nice :smile: I keep forgetting but il make sure to give it a go!

Oh that sounds pretty nice :smile: I keep forgetting but il make sure to give it a go!
I also tend to forget, i never used it in Warband (didn't play mp and in sp it wasn't needed) but if you just put it in a good keybind (i use e, but whatever fits you mate) and to some practice tournaments it normalizes pretty quick. also its often faster than 2h-attacks, so if you time it right you can stagger their asses while they try to hit you and then F-F-F-F-FATALITY!

This situation occurred in Warband as well. I started to keep a short-reach 1H axe in inventory for siege fights. Not a 100% cure-all, but seemed to help. Might be worth trying in Bannerlord too.

I used kick VERY rarely in warband, I like that is this a sword and board alternative :grin: I think its mostly usefull for spear units though, to give you some leway because the enemy is shoved back a bit. With a sword or axe I think normal hits probably would be fine though.

It does feel abit clunky and noticed myself getting hit a few times because of it but no more then a normal attack would have I suppose.

But still, good to have options :mrgreen:

I know, i also get hit in the face sometimes for swinging my shield around too much, but it is just SO SATISFYING to punch your enemies with a big piece of wood screwed onto ur arm :lol:

I definatly agree that the slow rate of XP gain combined with the AI having very high skills really is dischouraging, you look at your companions and it's disheartening to see they're a 20 year old with waaaay better skills then your 35 year old character

Back
Top Bottom