Fighting Games - Got Hype?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greetings, mind slaves.

Don't you love beating the **** out of people on a two dimensional plane? Sometimes even a three dimensional cube?

So yeah, Fighting Games. Anyone play many of them?

I spent years avoiding them like the plague, but since coming to Uni and finding the Fighting Games Society holds their meeting in one of my local ale pubs, I kind of got brought in by proxy. Whilst some of them just make me want to just lose the will to live (Hello SF4, hello MvC) I've found a fair few of them I can really enjoy, mostly because they're less rigid and more free flowing in terms of their combo systems.

Anyhow, imagine a long spiel here, but I have a lecture. In short: If I mention Rekka combos, mixups, crossups and yomi, which of you buggers actually have a clue what I mean? What do you play, and who?

I use to play Tekken at the arcades or on my ps2, other then that would be street fighter and another which I remember had 3 dozens of differant characters I think? It was on my ps1.

I'm horrible at them since I don't have any time to invest remembering the different combo flow for every fighting game.

I'll have to disagree with your SF4 point. Super SF4 arcade edition was one of the better SFs when it comes to hilariously random combos and wild cards such as spamming Sagat's EX tiger punch to evade and attack the opponent during the opponent's ultra attack. Also, tiger cannon spamming.

The one that makes me wanna lose my soul is still tekkan. Horribly rigid combo system plus op juggling turns any match played into a game of 'who-gets-a-launcher-attack-in-first' chicken match. I'm hoping SF vs Tekkan set for next year would be good, though seeing Tekkan characters with an ultra bar and finisher moves would take some getting used to.

I can't learn combos either. In fact, on of the simplest BnBs for one of my mains is

(2A 2A) 5B 2B 2C 2C j.A j.B j.C dj.B dj.C airthrow

If I'm lucky, in an actual game, I can remember up to about the first 2C, resulting in me rarely knowing what I plan to do until maybe 50 frames before I do it at best. The rote memorisation thing never worked for me. Also why I'm bad at reacting to things, as I'm frequently as surprised that something worked as my opponent. :razz:

As for SF4, and indeed SF in general, I find it's far more rigid than many of the games I enjoy. Everything feels very regimented, and flowchart based. "If this, then do this" "If this connects, do this", especially amongst the people I know who actually take the game Far too seriously. Sure you can throw out odd combos sometimes, but the game is in and of itself not built towards free-flow combos. That's perfect for some, just not my cup of tea.

Also yes, Tekken juggling is an abomination.

I tend to play Melty Blood, play a fair bit of BlazBlue and some Arcana Heart on the side. Guilty Gear too, when I can, I guess. Rumours I don't take fighting games entirely seriously are completely unfounded. :3

Coincidentally, they all have *****in' soundtracks.

I used to play fighting games on consoles. Then I got a computer and started playing better games.
Pretty much the only fighting game I've been interested in a while now is Overgrowth. Hopefully one day they'll release it.

Heh, I can follow that, except I've always been a computer person. Just doing Fighters because they're a change of pace. Overgrowth has promise though, I've been following it too.

Rev: Damn it, Daigo! D: I'm torn between respect for his skill, and my hatred for all that is SF.

The only fighting game I ever played was SCII. And even then I didn't play very much of it once the whole launching people 3 metres back with by a foot in their crotch with that samurai guy wore off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYnBcwd4Os&t=0m24s

*does zoidberg Whoop Whoop Whoop sound*

Naw seriously, I've only casually touched on the fighting game genre. The above game really does look good though. Doubt I'd be any good at it, but eh.

Never been much into this kind of games, although as an exception I played Mugen recently. With a custom content.

I found its combat mechanics... satisfying.

Not sure if this also fits "Fighting Games" as the type you want, there are also games like UFC, TNT and WWE (Not that I like it but others might).

Back
Top Bottom